Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why ponies can hold objects on their hooves

cider float

My headcanon is that because it's established that all pony races can create offspring with any pony, they're all closely related genetically. Therefore it's not unreasonable to think that each race has magical prowess to some degree(partially canon as unicorns can harness magic, and pegasus ponies have the ability to move clouds). The way I see it is that magic courses throughout their bodies, and this allows it to manifest itself in a sort of magical magnetism in their hooves. Unicorns are most proficient in the harnessing of magic, but it exists in all ponies and is what helps them perform actions such as holding items and moving clouds.

3f2.jpeg

You're heading in the right direction. Crossbreeding between pony races witch produces fertile offspring means they're the same species. Or atleast it would on Earth. Like You've said, all ponies have magic in them. It's just that pegasi and unicorns use it in an obvious way, whereas Earth ponies are more subtle. I've made a post in relevant thread about it. And so it is rather natural to assume that the ability of all ponies to hold objects in their hooves is magically assisted. The exact method through witch it manifest could be either micro telekinesis (making stuff balanced because it's magically supported in the air) achieved through "charging" the object on touch, or perhaps pony skin may act like that grabbing cushion form page 1.

Overanalysis is just so much fun.

• Brohoof 1

They carry around scotch tape and stick it to their hooves in case they need to stick something to them.

We actually see this happening in one episode (something taped to a hoof). Maybe all the other times are using tape that they just don't show...

That being said, Faust was apparently strongly against using hooves like hands. From what I heard she specifically forbade it and encouraged creative solutions instead, like the umbrella saddle.

We actually see this happening in one episode (something taped to a hoof). Maybe all the other times are using tape that they just don't show...

The tape was originally used to stick a letter to the bottom of a plate. Pinkie then held the letter in her hoof and it did seem like the letter was taped to it, but in fact it wasn't.

It's because they live in 2-D.  In a 2-D world, their hooves can just curl around stuff with no apparent gaps or space, and it's looks normal from a flattened vantage point.  In 3-D, they wouldn't be able to hold anything, and their world would basically fall apart.  They should do a gag episode like Homer3 where the ponies are sent to a parallel third dimension and completely freak out.

Simple.  They can hold objects the same way the Powerpuff Girls do.  :derp:

But actually there is something I came across on Youtube that might provide an answer. 

While the curving outer edge of their hoof is hard, the tissue in the middle could be soft and have the ability to function like the device in this video, right?  :huh:

That is awesome!

I think the "magic" theory is the correct one. But another fun one is that they have setae (the little hairs on insect/spider/gecko feet). Here's a comic about it https://derpibooru.org/316954

If you notice none of the ponies have "sticky hoof" syndrome - they are never allowed to hold objects unless it's for comedy (like Pinkie Pie). The showrunners try to instill in the fact that these are ponies and have pony qualities. Unless, of course, they're unicorns, who'll use magic to "hold" objects. But the rest of the ponies will either hold something under their arm, or use their teeth.

Guys, it's supah simple...

Their hooves are textured in such a fashion that they are able to exploit the van der Waals interaction and cling to things just like geckos.