Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is your view on therapy and mental help?

AD_Pony

I've just gotten back from my new therapist, I haven't had a therapist since I was 16; I feel amazing.

At first I was feeling scared and worried that new job opportunities and people would think I'm crazy or scary but after talking to my therapist she cleared everything up. It's absolutely OK to admit that you have depression or feeling scared/anxious, crying and letting it out felt so amazing.

What do you guys think? Do you think therapy is good for anytime you're emotionally upset, or should you be like me and wait till it's almost unbearable then go in? I feel like I should of done this a lot sooner.

Also discuss how medical and insurance should offer more options when it comes to getting personal health, some insurance companies refuse to help you with getting proper health, even if it's mental or drug/alcohol abuse.

Personally I think it's bullshit, you should be able to say "I need help, I need someone to talk to!" and go get that help without any hassle.

Edited by AD_Pony
  • Brohoof 3

I was in cognitive behavioral therapy when I was 18 for OCD treatment, and it was great. I thought people were gonna call me crazy and break their ties with me when I told them, but everyone was supportive and really nice about it.

Do you think therapy is good for anytime you're emotionally upset, or should you be like me and wait till it's almost unbearable then go in? I feel like I should of done this a lot sooner

I've heard a couple people say that therapy is great for whenever you need to let something out or are just upset about something, not just for things like mental health problems or big roadblocks in life. I feel like I should've started sooner than I did too, but I'm just so glad people like that exist to help others that are having a hard time in life when it isn't their fault, truly saints

• Brohoof 3

I was in cognitive behavioral therapy when I was 18 for OCD treatment, and it was great. I thought people were gonna call me crazy and break their ties with me when I told them, but everyone was supportive and really nice about it.

I've heard a couple people say that therapy is great for whenever you need to let something out or are just upset about something, not just for things like mental health problems or big roadblocks in life. I feel like I should've started sooner than I did too, but I'm just so glad people like that exist to help others that are having a hard time in life when it isn't their fault, truly saints

I'm just really excited about my next appointment, she's a really nice woman and understanding; the best part is I don't feel like I'm being judged because I enjoy being open about my sexuality and act like a dude. I've just been so fed up with people telling me how I should dress and act, I'm me and that's it. I'm happy with being me, if I wasn't happy with who I was then I'd have to asses the problem. How many people act differently because they know that other people expect it? Almost everyone.

• Brohoof 3

I think that counseling is a great method of letting go or feeling better about one's feelings. I personally have never been to one, but I am in college right now to be a mental health counselor. Talking truly helps people to feel better. If I do not talk to my boyfriend about my issues as soon as they arise, I feel like I might go crazy. I feel like it is human nature to want to discuss one's feelings IF they can explain. I find it difficult to put my emotions into words at times, and maybe a counselor could help put those emotions into words. I am happy to know you feel better after going, and I also think no one should wait too late to go. Go as often as you need or can! 

• Brohoof 1

I think that counseling is a great method of letting go or feeling better about one's feelings. I personally have never been to one, but I am in college right now to be a mental health counselor. Talking truly helps people to feel better. If I do not talk to my boyfriend about my issues as soon as they arise, I feel like I might go crazy. I feel like it is human nature to want to discuss one's feelings IF they can explain. I find it difficult to put my emotions into words at times, and maybe a counselor could help put those emotions into words. I am happy to know you feel better after going, and I also think no one should wait too late to go. Go as often as you need or can! 

I also feel like if I don't talk to my boyfriend about my feelings or thoughts when they arise I feel as though I'd go crazy, it's a cruddy feeling. :( However, I have a lot of old emotional baggage and I don't want to risk scaring my boyfriend off, he's amazing and I don't want to over load him so I feel like I'll keep in the loop but in doses.

I got psychotherapy for anxiety disorder when I was in middle school. At the time I thought it was really good and it certainly helped, but in my case the problem wasn't solved until I got pharmacotherapy. It isn't always the case, but very often it's overlooked, as people are kinda afraid of taking drugs for mental problems, because they fear becoming dependent on them or the drugs kinda changing who they are and what their personality is.

None is really the case. Danny from Game Grumps explained it pretty well in one of their videos, when he talked about his OCD. The drugs don't make you happy, don't change who you are, they just put you into your "default" state, so you can deal with your problems. When you're anxious, depressed, etc. you can't do this. Drugs actually affect the source of the problems, eg. SSRI-type drugs make serotonin, the "happiness hormone", be regulated by your body as it should be, so it gets rid of the actual problem. Psychotherapy can't do this.

Nevertheless, psychotherapy and coaching should be a part of the process. This way you can actually know your feelings and different mental states, know better what they mean and deal with them. There is a lot of work outside the doctor's office though, because if you don't start to think about yourself and try to know yourself better there is no chance you'll get better.

• Brohoof 2

I also feel like if I don't talk to my boyfriend about my feelings or thoughts when they arise I feel as though I'd go crazy, it's a cruddy feeling. :( However, I have a lot of old emotional baggage and I don't want to risk scaring my boyfriend off, he's amazing and I don't want to over load him so I feel like I'll keep in the loop but in doses.

It is not necessarily a cruddy feeling c: Just think of it like this: You have this one awesome person who you love and can tell anything to. I have emotional baggage as well, and my boyfriend has just been amazing through it all. I feel like he truly cares for you, it will not be too much. I have done and been through some awful things, and he loves me anyway. Plus, I told him once about my past, and I immediately felt better. I have not had to talk about it anymore sense. Just knowing that he knows and is still here.. And cares.. That is pretty awesome. I am not trying to force you to tell him anything, but you never know. Whenever you're ready, I am sure he would listen. c:

• Brohoof 1

I got psychotherapy for anxiety disorder when I was in middle school. At the time I thought it was really good and it certainly helped, but in my case the problem wasn't solved until I got pharmacotherapy. It isn't always the case, but very often it's overlooked, as people are kinda afraid of taking drugs for mental problems, because they fear becoming dependent on them or the drugs kinda changing who they are and what their personality is.

None is really the case. Danny from Game Grumps explained it pretty well in one of their videos, when he talked about his OCD. The drugs don't make you happy, don't change who you are, they just put you into your "default" state, so you can deal with your problems. When you're anxious, depressed, etc. you can't do this. Drugs actually affect the source of the problems, eg. SSRI-type drugs make serotonin, the "happiness hormone", be regulated by your body as it should be, so it gets rid of the actual problem. Psychotherapy can't do this.

Nevertheless, psychotherapy and coaching should be a part of the process. This way you can actually know your feelings and different mental states, know better what they mean and deal with them. There is a lot of work outside the doctor's office though, because if you don't start to think about yourself and try to know yourself better there is no chance you'll get better.

You're absolutely right, I was watching that episode of Game Grumps like 4 months ago and it does make sense, I don't want to become dependent on drugs to be happy I do not think I am at that state but it's good to know that they're there to help. As long as you get the correct dosage and take them correctly it's a good leveler.

It is not necessarily a cruddy feeling c: Just think of it like this: You have this one awesome person who you love and can tell anything to. I have emotional baggage as well, and my boyfriend has just been amazing through it all. I feel like he truly cares for you, it will not be too much. I have done and been through some awful things, and he loves me anyway. Plus, I told him once about my past, and I immediately felt better. I have not had to talk about it anymore sense. Just knowing that he knows and is still here.. And cares.. That is pretty awesome. I am not trying to force you to tell him anything, but you never know. Whenever you're ready, I am sure he would listen. c:

That's a good way to think about it, I'll make those steps as I come to those bridges; it'll be a process. I'm just not used to having someone who loves me for me and actually admits that he wants to be with me through the good times and the bad.

No one else has ever treated me so well, the ones that did ended up showing true colors and I had to cut them loose as a result. :/

I will say that yesterday I was a crying mess, I was upset and feeling scared about my future since I've been jobless for almost 5 months now... He came over after work with chocolate and snuggled me while watching Bobs Burgers, he even wiped away my tears when I started crying. He's so good. <3

• Brohoof 2

I've been going through a lot with my autism therapy(whatever that's called), but it just seems like they don't really care about my feelings. It's just what they want me to do, they never ask me what I want to do, It just seems really unprofessional.

Edited by Mezcass
  • Brohoof 1

I've been going through a lot with my autism therapy(whatever that's called), but it just seems like they don't really care about my feelings. It's just what they want me to do, they never ask me what I want to do, It just seems really unprofessional.

That's really cruddy man, I'm sorry to hear that. My cousin has Autism too, he's also a brony which is nice. I don't really talk to him though, he visits once in a while; I hope you're alright. Maybe you should really try talking to your mom / your therapist about your treatments and explain how you're feeling that it doesn't seem to be working. Possibly finding a new therapist would also help but I'm not going to try and lead you astray, just follow your heart bro-sive. <3

• Brohoof 1

I think that mental help is a crucial part in the medical field.

I personally suffer from chronic depression, panic disorder, seasonal affective disorder, and I have self-injury issues.

If it hadn't been for the help of my psychiatrists and therapists, I would have probably, at some point, committed suicide.

I think taking care of your mental health is just as important as your psychical health.  You don't necessarily need to seek out professional help. Sometimes the best option is just talking it out with a friend or someone who's going through the same thing you are. I've been in the military for well over six years. I've seen Marines and Sailors personalities drastically change after combat deployments. I, myself, was having problems when I returned from Afghanistan but I had my squad-mates to help me through whether they knew or not. A lot of guys in the same situation didn't have the support group that I did, instead they fell to alcohol or drugs. Some unfortunately ended up committing suicide. This isn't just a problem within the military, it's everywhere. 

If it makes you feel better about life in general, it is a good thing, and it is far better to go seek out that kind of help before you get to the point where it is of no good to you and you're in real trouble.

• Brohoof 1

From my personal experience it can be a bit of a hit and miss.

I've went through who knows how many GPs, counsellors, psychologists, over five years, before finally finding a GP who understands mental health issues and a psychologist who I can reasonably work with, and doesn't cost me an arm and a leg.

It's easy to be discouraged but you have to keep looking, and eventually you'll find that it's rewarding in the end.

I've only had one counselor, and, as nice as she was, it really didn't help.
Though, if I were to be honest and tell them what's going on in my head, i'd be sent straight to one of those crazy houses.
I can handle myself well enough, as long as I dont snap I'll function just fine in society.

So I guess if they help you, great! I just haven't had such luck.

I've never had any sort of mental condition myself (that I know of) but in my opinion therapy is a very good way for some people to resolve their issues. It may not work for some people and to those people I hope you find your own way of coping and get better, but for those it does work for, good for you :)

Welp, I have Aspergers, and I don't really call it ´therapy´, but I get help at school by having a conversation every 2 weeks with someone who specializes in that, it really helps.

But in answer to your question: if it helps, then it helps, but people shouldn't force them if they don't want to, there are always other solutions to solve the ´´problem´´.

Yeah, that's basically it.  :kindness: 

• 4 years later...
8 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

Honestly I think it's extremely overrated and just another business. *ducks*

And what leads to that belief. What information have you looked at confirm this?

I'm probably a minority here, but I really don't believe it'd help me. Every psychologist or therapist I've spoken to just says things I already know, and the validation they give doesn't feel right. Maybe I'm just too cynical, but I'll stick to talking to friends about my problems, if I do at all. The few times I've tried it didn't give me any new insights and mainly served to frustrate me more, so I'll pass.

If it helps people and they feel benefit from then it's probably a good thing. It wouldn't be for me though, wouldn't feel comfortable talking to someone about my problems, I deal with things on my own.

(edited)

Finding the right therapist or counselor for you is just as important as going to therapy itself.  I once had a counselor who basically blamed me for my past abuse and she told me that I should forgive and forget and he should be a bigger part of my life instead of ignoring him.  Like????  He threatened to kill me, he has no place in my life anymore and his actions were NOT my fault.

Just as long as people keep the fact that therapists and related workers are people too and not everyone you meet is really going to help you in a positive way.  Unfortunately, a few places in the world don't allow people to "shop around" for the right therapist for them and I think it's important that we ensure people have the option of choice for finding the right therapist.  I think everyone should go to therapy or group therapy at some point in their lives, we all need help sometimes and we need to take care of our mental health as much as our dental or overall physical health.

Edited by Thuja
  • Brohoof 2