Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ponies and recreational drugs.

geartree

Do you think that ponies would partake in our human ways of taking drugs. I would imagine at least alcohol would exist atleast somewhere, because ponies make bread which requires yeast, and all you need is sugar, water and yeast to make alcohol. I don't know, but I would presume drugs would be illegal in equestria.

If Treehugger wasn't stoned out of her gourd during the Grand Galloping Gala, then I'd say it's safe to assume that ponies do not partake of drugs.

I have to wonder though; if you offered a pony a bag of weed, would they smoke it or eat it?

• Brohoof 9

To my knowledge, things like alcohol and whatever-level-of-drugs is more common among troubled or disadvantaged social groups; while there are many perfectly happy or stable individuals who try or enjoy it, ease of access or exposure depends on the overall group. At a glance, Equestria seems to be relatively low-stress and high in opportunity and equality. More than likely, there wouldn't be the same elements that push people into looking for self-medication or break down of inhibitions. 

Also, if I remember right, one of the notable reasons alcohol was widely consumed in olden times (which makes it a bit cultural to have it around), was due to it being a choice between beer with low alcohol content, or potentially contaminated/dirty water with little to no biotic sterilization (alcohol is pretty good at that, remember). So yeah, in many cases, beer was healthier than water. At first glance, Equestria doesn't seem to share the same level of medical concern, so I doubt it'd be less intertwined with their culture.

• Brohoof 3

This is Zecora we're dealing with, what do you expect?

Zecora:

Come take a toke of my poison joke,

You ponies will find it's a joy to smoke!

Good point.

Don't do drugs kids

• Brohoof 1

Hmmmm, I'm pretty sure Tree Hugger makes it obvious.

high__fluttershy_and_treehugger__by_look

Hehe you are so right. She has been smoking the Double Diamond if you know what I mean

• Brohoof 1

I've always considered Rainbow Dash with her affection for cider a pony who wouldn't mind getting a bit drunk every now and then, and I don't think AJ would see that much harm in it either. Pinkie seems to naturally produce speed so I'm leaving her out of this, and Tree Hugger was definitely higher than Rainbow Dash has ever flown.

Only in fanworks. There are strict limitations on even video games on putting drugs in teen rated games you think in a children/family rated show they would do this? Alcohol does exist in teen rated games though.

Edited by cider float

Only in fanworks. There are strict limitations on even video games on putting drugs in teen rated games you think in a children/family rated show they would do this? Alcohol does exist in teen rated games though.

Well this children/family rated show did include one of my favorite puns: 

And while it doesn't directly throw drugs and alcohol in a kids show, it doesn't stop them from including scenes that target the more mature audience. 

Zecora strikes me as "the good witch" with many herbs and other drugs in storage. She gave Fluttershy poison joke....I am not even sure why she even had that.

And someone needs to take Rainbowdash to get some help. She's hooked on Apple Cider, and while it isn't an alcoholic beverage, it seems to be her focus whenever a problem about apples is involved.

Like in Bats....I mean I know it was meant for comic relief but Rainbow, your best friend's crops might be destroyed and she might lose her farm....stop thinking about Apple Cider  

Edited by Princess Sunset

The issues of drugs, addiction, and illegal substances can't be fully addressed in a modern children's show, unfortunately, but let's face it, Ponies would totally be all over it. First of all, recreational drugs are, by definition, fun. A little hard apple cider to get the party going, maybe some cannabis to relax, a little coca leaf for a good time, and those mushrooms sure were wild. If Ponies discovered drugs, they'd love 'em until they presented a societal problem, much like it currently is in current human western society. I see Ponies veering more towards natural drugs than refined or artificially altered/engineered substances.

The Cutie Pox had Applebloom make her own drug to give herself a cutie mark. That's like steroids for getting muscle.

I think that potions are practically drugs, and if a potion would make you laugh more I would say that's pretty similar to drugs many people take.

Sounds like a winning combination, but for obvious reasons the show will never cover the issue directly.

The closet things to drugs and alcohol would be magical potions and apple cider, and Rainbow Dash has displayed tendencies of addiction to the later.

I suspect Berry Punch and  Tree Hugger would be into such things..

But who needs drugs when one can get highs from the Magic of Friendship?

Edited by UnknownFry