Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I May Have Calculated Rainbow Dash's Age and Birth Date!

AndrewKnapp

I think I may have calculated Rainbow Dash's age and birth date. This article from FanPop said that Dash was 17 years old in human years. Also, her birthday is on February 1st, since that is the air date of Pinkie Pride. Then I did 2016 (the year with the next February 1st) minus 17 and I got 1999. So that means this:

Dash is 17 years old

She was born on February 1st, 1999

She will turn 18 on February 1st, 2016!

I think I may have calculated Rainbow Dash's age and birth date. This article from FanPop said that Dash was 17 years old in human years. Also, her birthday is on February 1st, since that is the air date of Pinkie Pride. Then I did 2016 (the year with the next February 1st) minus 17 and I got 1999. So that means this:

Dash is 17 years old

She was born on February 1st, 1999

She will turn 18 on February 1st, 2016!

Objection!

While this is mostly true, her birthday would actually be Februrary 1st, 1998, since you count the current year if it is past her birthday. For example: If today was before Dash's birthday, we'd count the previous year, since that's the last time she had a birthday. If it is after her birthday, you'd count the current year. Basically, you count the year that the person (or pony in this case) last had a birthday. I even tested this with my own age and birthyear/date. We also need to consider what day that article was published.

So, to recap:

-If that article was published this year (2015), then her birthdate would, in fact, be February 1st, 1998.

(2015-17=1998)

-Because 2/1/2015 has already passed, 2015 is used as the year, but if it was 1/3/2015 or something, we'd use the year 2014.

-This adds up to Dash being 17 years old (depending on when that article was published), and her birthday being 2/1/1998.

...But!

Even with this being said, we still have no idea what actual age Rainbow Dash is, since the FanPop article only "said" that Dash was 17 years old, while having no actual proof.

If you could link that article here, I may be able to finish this theory.

Edited by Alpha Hedge
  • Brohoof 1

Objection! While this is mostly true, her birthday would actually be Februrary 1st, 1998, since you count the current year if it is past her birthday. For example: If today was before Dash's birthday, we'd count the previous year, since that's the last time she had a birthday. If it is after her birthday, you'd count the current year. Basically, you count the year that the person (or pony in this case) last had a birthday. I even tested this with my own age and birthyear/date. We also need to consider what day that article was published. So, to recap: -If that article was published this year (2015), then her birthdate would, in fact, be February 1st, 1998. (2015-17=1998) -Because 2/1/2015 has already passed, 2015 is used as the year, but if it was 1/3/2015 or something, we'd use the year 2014. -This adds up to Dash being 17 years old (depending on when that article was published), and her birthday being 2/1/1998.   ...But!   Even with this being said, we still have no idea what actual age Rainbow Dash is, since the FanPop article only "said" that Dash was 17 years old, while having no actual proof. If you could link that article here, I may be able to finish this theory.

With 's signature, i can't help but think of Escaping the Prison, By Pufballs United, when you play the court part.

But still, no, I think that it's rather clear that they are all relative ages. (Relative to being not real, so yeah, they stay the same age.)

But hey, if you want to push it, you can. I'm happy that we all think really hard to find out when our favourite ponies were born.

*Raises finger* but, I must intercede with the theory, saying that it is incorrect, because, technically speaking, Lauren Faust gets the last say. If you want to find out your favourite Pony's age. She'd probably tell you that with her own thoughts.

Now, Can someone please tell me how the hell I keep finding stuff like this?

Edited by Lightbulb

This if funny, because what even is a year in Equestria? If the sun and moon go around the planet.. Then technically there is no year.. :huh:

So.. How exactly do ponies measure years.. ?

For all we know a "year" in Equestria would be once every 420 days and therefor she's like.. 19 and a half Earth years old.. (based upon the 17 year estimation)

But then again a "year" could be only 260 days and therefor she is actually only 12 Earth years old..

I guess an big even number would make more sense.. Let's say 300 days is a year in Equestria..

RD is then therefor 14 years old.. which seems to make sense actually..

The only thing that can be clear when it comes to age is the fact that Pinkie is 1 year younger than

Fluttershy, as she herself stated it in.. Uhh.. I'm pretty sure it was the Griffin episode "Griffon the brush off"

But yeah.. this subject is interesting nonetheless.. I'm interested to hear about some other theories to her age (or the other mane 6 ponies for that matter) :P

Edited by AURAequine
  • Brohoof 1

I read a while ago that since irl horses/ponies age differently than humans, it's possible that ponies age differently as well. The life cycle of many animals include a much shorter childhood stage than humans. Keeping that in mind, it's plausible that Rainbow Dash is younger yet could still live on her own and hold down a job.

If I had to guess her age based on how she acts though, I'd say 19. Out of the teenage phase, independent and technically an adult, but still obviously young and learning.

The bigger problem is that while it was considered true that MLP ran in real time back during the first three seasons; starting season 4 they did "this is the second time X has rolled around stuff" making it so season 1-3 was year one and season 4-? is year two.  Seems really nuts that so much happened in such a short time, but there you go.  Maybe 20 months have passed in the series.

• 1 year later...

While RD does have a job and a house, the age standards for when ponies can start working and living independently may be lower than for humans. Also, I would guess that the mane six are all sophomores and juniors at canterlot high, which would mean that they're around 16-17 ish. Idk just a thought.

Yeah...shes not 17... shes definitely older than that. I mean, some old article doesn't really mean anything

Taking in show references the only thing we have gotten was RDs cake having 21 candles on it.

I assumed it was accepted as fact that the mane 6 were all in their early 20s and whatnot.

10 minutes ago, rainbow_tash said:

While RD does have a job and a house, the age standards for when ponies can start working and living independently may be lower than for humans. Also, I would guess that the mane six are all sophomores and juniors at canterlot high, which would mean that they're around 16-17 ish. Idk just a thought.

Don't ever use EQG to try to guage there Equestria age.

Celestia and Luna are thousands of years old in Equestria yet they are like 40 in EQG.

Sunset Shimmer was an adult when Twilight was a filly, yet they are both in high school in EQG

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Oh man - what a discussion.

The Equestria Girls was a purposeful marketing scheme I think - I don't really consider it a 'canon' of the show per se, at least not the World of FiM - as fun as it is to some.

That said, FiM allows for the ponies to live for centuries, considering none of them are all that surprised that Luna and Celestia are thousands of years old. They could be 60 - 90 year old in their world, relatively about 19-25 to us. I always felt that Lauren wanted the Mane 6 to have a young adult feel - ie - owning businesses and their own real estate, and so while they are 'starting out' they are not teenagers.

I'm sorry - I went off topic there - cross allocated with another topic about pony ages.

But yeah, finding out their 'ages' would be really cool. I don't know the veracity of the OP's discovery, but I would expect an Equestrian calendar of some kind to compare to our own for reliable information.

Edited by Mirage77
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

There is no way to calculate rainbow dashes birthday.

The closest we can get too doing that is counting the candles on rainbow dash's birthivesrery cake.

Which is a stretch of you ask me.

Other than that, the show doesn't mention there age.

Edited by Firedog