Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has Twilight been Useless this season 5?

TwiWoo

Due to offensive comments/replies, I no longer want to say what I want to say.

Look, it was MY perspective that Twilight seemed a little pointless, I did not ask for proof. All I asked was that if anyone would agree with me. I feel offended because of some replies that really just Said 'No' to me.

Edited by TwiWoo

>3 slice of life episodes

>Pretty much solo 2 parter finale

>saves the day and by extension THE ENTIRE TIMELINE in the finale without help from anyone else

>Uses her magical powers to restrain the entire warring clans in the hoof fields and McColts in order to force them to stand still long enough to listen to fluttershy's explanation, something that no pony else could do

>teaches Moon dancer the meaning of friendship and brings her out of her self imposed hermitage

Yeah.... I don't mean to come off as rude but I don't see how twilight was underused or unimportant this season in any way; if anything she is by far the most important person this season.

• Brohoof 5

I don't think she had been'useless' this season. She may not have been the center in every episodes, but she definitely was very important in the season. Especially in the finale, since she was the one who stopped Starlight from changing the timeline.

The problem I have with Twilight is that she's not balanced in terms of her appearances. In the two-parters she hogs up all the screen time and the Mane 6 are reduced to either extras with a pointless subplot (if they get lucky) or Damsels in distress that need to be saved, while in the SoL meat of the season, Twilight gets rather little screen time.  Overall though Season 5 did a much better job of handling Twilight SoL appearances than previously and The Cutie Map wasn't centered around her. Shame that it didn't last for the finale. 

Edited by Sidral Mundet
  • Brohoof 3

I don't think she had been'useless' this season. She may not have been the center in every episodes, but she definitely was very important in the season.

I was going to say this exact same thing! I've been thinking about this topic recently since the season ended. Even though she didn't have too much screen time or the main focus of the episode, when she was prominent in the episode she normally did something pretty important.

• Brohoof 1

Aside from the beginning and the finale, Twilight didn't DO jackshit, and even the finale was a joke. She got outclassed HARD by Starlight's deus ex machina, that the only reason that turned out well, was because of a recycled backstory.

The Yaks? She bought some time sure, but Pinkie solved the entire thing.

Moondancer? That was her own damn mistake, and she fixed it. Not really a massive thing.

And when she was called by her map to solve a problem, she did nothing but practically fuel the fire. Fluttershy solved the entire thing.

She didn't DO anything that big this season, like she has the past four. Not even some crap with joining with the other five to save the world, like against Tirek, and Discord. Either she's going to end up useless like Celestia because Larson is a shit-for-brains and has some boner with making sure Celestia doesn't show up much, or she'll end up like most of Hasbro's main characters who go through this rut, and actually die.

• Brohoof 3

Twilight didn't DO jackshit

Harsh words my friend, but true.

I think Twilight has been seriously underwritten in season 5, maybe on purpose , or maybe because they have run out of ideas for her.

But remember, she is now a princess, and thus has her minions friends do all the dirty work for her.

I would be more concerned about her ever increasing OCD and mental state. Maybe this is were they are heading with this. Is Twilight finally going to loose it altogether and descend into madness with the potential of becoming the next Nightmare Moon.

Is Celestia going to have to actually do something in season 6 and kick Twilight's but flank???

• Brohoof 2

Twilight's inability to stop Starlight with pure strength reminded me of Celestia vs Chrysalis. I was super hyped to see Celestia in action only to be thoroughly underwhelmed, thankfully Twilight thought her way around the problem and managed to save the day. However, if Starlight had been unwilling to repent, I struggle to see how Twilight would have beaten her.

Having said that, Twilight's involvement in 'Amending Fences' was one of her best moments in the entire series thus far IMO. Whilst it may not have been as grand an accomplishment as helping to reform Starlight, it's just as noteworthy and it obviously changed one pony's life for the better. Seeing Moon Dancer playing with her old friends and later visiting Twilight's lecture sitting alongside Spike shows what a personal impact Twilight had upon her this season. :)

>3 slice of life episodes

>Pretty much solo 2 parter finale

>saves the day and by extension THE ENTIRE TIMELINE in the finale without help from anyone else

>Uses her magical powers to restrain the entire warring clans in the hoof fields and McColts in order to force them to stand still long enough to listen to fluttershy's explanation, something that no pony else could do

>teaches Moon dancer the meaning of friendship and brings her out of her self imposed hermitage

Yeah.... I don't mean to come off as rude but I don't see how twilight was underused or unimportant this season in any way; if anything she is by far the most important person this season.

To add to this, we also know that she's been handling and planning various events. She took over some of the planning for the Grand Galloping Gala. She organized the Grand Equestria Pony Summit. And she was the one who arranged for the yaks to meet in order to open their borders, even if Pinkie was the one who figured out how to please them.

Because a pinkie pie episode should be about twilight saving the day and focus on her instead. :/

It was in response to someone talking about what she did with the Yaks. But still, she didn't even solve the issue in the episode where she was called for a friendship problem, like I said as well.

Seeing as the show is not called "Twilight & Friends," I'm actually rather glad that they've broadened the focus to more than just Twilight. & Friends. :derp:

• Brohoof 1

It was in response to someone talking about what she did with the Yaks. But still, she didn't even solve the issue in the episode where she was called for a friendship problem, like I said as well.

Rainbow dash didn't solve the problem in her key episode and Rarity didn't solve the problem in her key episode either.

Additionally, the point of the key episodes is that BOTH ponies are important, otherwise it would have just called twilight alone and left fluttershy behind.

Without Twilight fluttershy would have failed. Twilight's magic was required to hold the Two families together while Fluttershy explained things. Without Twilight there fluttershy could never have forced the two sides to listen due to their insane levels of ego and belligerence. As such, twilight was 100% required and contributed to the conclusion.

The only possible "problem" I could see here is that Twilight didn't Solo the problem, which I pointed out goes against the very point of the map episodes, that teams of the mane six are required to solve problems and not just one pony.

Maybe she's been far from omnipresent this season, but I would go so far as to say she's been useless. The show even went and Lampshaded it for both map episodes when she wasn't included, so when she was finally allowed to go, she was beyond ecstatic. 

She played a big role in Amending Fences trying to fix her past mistakes with her Canterlot friends and with the Yak she was trying to be diplomatic and represent Equestria as best she could to not anger foreign dignitaries (even though the Yaks were jerks and deserved a good thrashing). She arranged the entire Equestrian Summit as well as helped manage the Grand Galloping Gala and all the Mane 6 spent hours fighting the Bugbear to get them out of the way in Slice of Life.

If your asking why Twilight didn't just swoop in and save the day in nearly every episode, it's because 1) that would boring and 2 ) because for a good number of episodes she had no reason to be there. For instance, why would she have a major part in Heartbreakers when the focus of that episode was on Applejack, Pinkie Pie and their families? 

Also, there was her epic beam battle with Starlight in the finale, as well as how she outsmarted Nightmare Moon and the Changelings in the alternate timelines. It's just that when brute force proved ineffective, she had to go change to a different tactic. 

So, no, Twilight has not been useless in my opinion. Twilight may not have been in the spotlight as much, but keep in mind that even before she became a princess she had moments where she was relegated to a secondary character or didn't show up so the episode could focus more on someone else.  

• Brohoof 1

Rainbow dash didn't solve the problem in her key episode and Rarity didn't solve the problem in her key episode either.

Additionally, the point of the key episodes is that BOTH ponies are important, otherwise it would have just called twilight alone and left fluttershy behind.

Without Twilight fluttershy would have failed. Twilight's magic was required to hold the Two families together while Fluttershy explained things. Without Twilight there fluttershy could never have forced the two sides to listen due to their insane levels of ego and belligerence. As such, twilight was 100% required and contributed to the conclusion.

The only possible "problem" I could see here is that Twilight didn't Solo the problem, which I pointed out goes against the very point of the map episodes, that teams of the mane six are required to solve problems and not just one pony.

Actually, Rainbow Dash and Rarity were vital in their friendship problem solving eps. Twilight wasn't even needed, since she really didn't contribute anything, and was mostly there because she hasn't done anything else, and to fit the getting really old cliche of Fluttershy needing her hand held. The part where Twilight held them all down with her magic, wouldn't of happened if she didn't stoke the problem to escalate to that point.

Seriously....in between the start and finale, Twilight's screen time felt more like "hey, we remember she exists, trust us".

Actually, Rainbow Dash and Rarity were vital in their friendship problem solving eps. Twilight wasn't even needed, since she really didn't contribute anything, and was mostly there because she hasn't done anything else, and to fit the getting really old cliche of Fluttershy needing her hand held. The part where Twilight held them all down with her magic, wouldn't of happened if she didn't stoke the problem to escalate to that point.

Seriously....in between the start and finale, Twilight's screen time felt more like "hey, we remember she exists, trust us".

Except for the part where Twilight LITERALLY held the two warring families still with her magic to force them to listen. There's no way fluttershy could have gotten both families together to explain things without them fighting, and fluttershy would have been powerless to hold them still like twilight was.

Twilight was far from pointless.

>people complaining that twilight was useless this season

sig-4259012.553766372af43.image.jpg

Because a pinkie pie episode should be about twilight saving the day and focus on her instead. :/

in the end, it WAS purplesmart who took credit for Pinkie's accomplishments, soon as Sunbutt stepped in

What a friend.

• Brohoof 2

Except for the part where Twilight LITERALLY held the two warring families still with her magic to force them to listen. There's no way fluttershy could have gotten both families together to explain things without them fighting, and fluttershy would have been powerless to hold them still like twilight was.

Twilight was far from pointless.

Did you not read? I said, the ONLY reason why she had to do that in the first place, was because she fueled the problem that caused it to reach that point.In other words, if she wasn't there, that more than likely wouldn't of happened.

Did you not read? I said, the ONLY reason why she had to do that in the first place, was because she fueled the problem that caused it to reach that point.In other words, if she wasn't there, that more than likely wouldn't of happened.

She didn't fuel anything, the only people exacerbating the problems were the families themselves.

Twilight never encouraged violence or negative emotions, the only people who were fueling the hate were the families themselves. You absolutely cannot blame Twilight for the sins of the McColts and Hoof fields.

Moreover, the two families would never have given Fluttershy the time of day even to have listened to her without Twilight there; the only reason the two got the door opened in the first place was because Twilight was an alicorn which proved they weren't just spies since alicorns are so rare.

• Brohoof 1

She didn't fuel anything, the only people exacerbating the problems were the families themselves.

Twilight never encouraged violence or negative emotions, the only people who were fueling the hate were the families themselves. You absolutely cannot blame Twilight for the sins of the McColts and Hoof fields.

Moreover, the two families would never have given Fluttershy the time of day even to have listened to her without Twilight there; the only reason the two got the door opened in the first place was because Twilight was an alicorn which proved they weren't just spies since alicorns are so rare.

Ok seriously, you're not understanding. I never said she went to them and went, "Hey guys, you should totally do worse things and fight!!"

No, but every time she tried to solve the problem, it made the fued worse, and ended up turning into a brawl. She contributed nothing. And they would've listened to Fluttershy, she's made herself heard before, when it comes to something she really cares about, and those animals were in danger from the fued.

Twilight didn't help at all.

I don't think its that she's useless, it just feels like her development as a character has come to almost a complete stop after she became a princess. I feel like it has something to do with what path they decided to have her follow, being the "princess of friendship" rather than something more interesting like magic or something.

Her story is at a standstill, sadly. Hopefully season 6 introduces something new for her character.

Ok seriously, you're not understanding. I never said she went to them and went, "Hey guys, you should totally do worse things and fight!!"

No, but every time she tried to solve the problem, it made the fued worse, and ended up turning into a brawl. She contributed nothing. And they would've listened to Fluttershy, she's made herself heard before, when it comes to something she really cares about, and those animals were in danger from the fued.

Twilight didn't help at all.

I hear you, I just think you're completely and utterly wrong.

Fluttershy could never have gotten them to listen to her, she is an absolute doormat, and even if there's scenarios where she blows up she never shows initiative in forcing others to listen to her which would have been required here. There is absolutely no way I can see fluttershy finding a way to force herself into both enclaves given how confrontational and antagonistic the two sides were.

Twilight was absolutely required here this is not a scenario that Fluttershy could ever have waltzed in and done on her own.

• Brohoof 1

No. If anything, all of the mane characters hasn't really done anything significant through Season 5. Aside from the booty-call cutie mark episodes, they really haven't captured the spotlight throughout the season. 

I agree with that alot, and was going to say that, but the saw your post. :)

*reads* "booty call" *snickers*

• Brohoof 1