Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Is anyone else getting sick of reformed villains?

Starflite527

Some are okay as long as you get used to their reformation over the course of the show, as well as if they truly dig deep into their pasts. In some cases it can work only if some of them retain their antagonostic traits, such as with Discord. I also see that Trixie retains a little bit of her ego when she does reform, but that's just from my perspective.

But I agree, let's not overdo it. With some of them, they work better as villains/antagonists. Such as: 

-Queen Chrysalis and the Changelings

-King Sombra

-Tirek

-Flim and Flam

etc.

The only reformation that I feel I must argue against is Gilda's. I feel they should have had her retain some of her gruff personality and hostility. Only some of her should be reformed, but not all.

Overall I'm not against reformation of villains, just as long as they're fewer of them and as long as they a portion of their negative aspects.

I think it's a bit harsh to call Diamond Tiara and Gilda villians, more just assholes.

I think it's a bit harsh to call Diamond Tiara and Gilda villians, more just assholes. And it's a bit of a doubpe standard to say its fine for them to not reform, and that won't get old, but reforming gets old. BUT I believe all tje reformations happen WAY to fast. The show goes progressively in plot, so why not utilize that for complex reformations and relationships between characters.

I think it's a bit harsh to call Diamond Tiara and Gilda villians, more just assholes. And it's a bit of a doubpe standard to say its fine for them to not reform, and that won't get old, but reforming gets old. BUT I believe all tje reformations happen WAY to fast. The show goes progressively in plot, so why not utilize that for complex reformations and relationships between characters.

• 3 weeks later...

Suri Polomare can be reformed by learning that being selfish isn't the only way to make it in the big city. 

Lightning Dust could be reformed by learning that being wreckless can put herself or ponies she cares about in danger. (Then again, she wasn't exactly bad. She was wreckless, but she didn't have bad intentions.) 

Wind Rider could be reformed by learning that cheating to get ahead isn't always going to work and if you need to play dirty, you're not that good. 

Tirek: I don't see him being reformed. 

King Sombra: I consider him dead 

Flim Flam brothers: I don't see them being reformed. 

As long as the reforming is believable, I don't have a problem with it. I didn't like the way Discord was reformed in "Keep Calm and Flutter On", but I don't have a problem with him being reformed. 

Sunset Shimmer was disliked in the first movie when she was bad, but when she became good, she was far more liked. I like Sunset Shimmer better now that she's reformed. 

I think the reason they're bad in the first place determines if they should be reformed. Bad parenting, misguided views, fears, things like that, would make a villain being reformed more believable. 

If Suri Polomare had a history of stealing, Rarity would be more wary of lending her some fabric. They have some history together, and they seem to get along. In fact, Suri didn't become bad until she moved. So her reason for being bad is misguided

If Wind Rider had a history of playing dirty, then I think there would be a red flag. Then again, he probably had no reason to play dirty until he met Rainbow Dash. He knew that she's awesome and saw her as a threat. (Rainbow is awesome) So his reason for being bad is fear. 

Lightning Dust wasn't even bad, so it won't be too unbelievable to reform her. 

Tirek is greedy. He wants everything for himself. If he was reformed, I could imagine Rarity reforming him. I just don't see him being reformed. 

The Flim Flam brothers also don't seem redeemable. 

The Diamond Dogs also don't seem to be redeemable, but I don't think all diamond dogs are bad.

If written correctly, Tirek, Flam and Flam, or the diamond dogs could be reformed. I just don't see it. 

So I don't have a problem with villains being reformed. I just have a problem with how they're reformed. 

When Trixie stayed downright bad till the end of the first episode I actually had fate in the whole villain-not-getting-reformed-without-a-good-reason. But Trixie had to get reformed.

Edited by cider float

Yes, or rather I dislike how they're being executed, especially Starlight Glimmer. I mean the three reformations in Season 5 were very similar, reintroduce an old villain, give them a sympathetic backstory and boom, no longer a villain because friendship, no consequences attached and i very much dislike the lack of consequences.  And the thing is, thanks to Starlight, reformation have to be the way they go cause otherwise you end up making the Mane 6 look like hypocritical jerks or make the villain look completely mustache twirling non-threat or rather tragic character (The latter of which won't happen because this show operatives under black and white morality and so the heroes are always completely in the right) 

Suri Polomare can be reformed by learning that being selfish isn't the only way to make it in the big city. 

Lightning Dust could be reformed by learning that being wreckless can put herself or ponies she cares about in danger. (Then again, she wasn't exactly bad. She was wreckless, but she didn't have bad intentions.) 

Wind Rider could be reformed by learning that cheating to get ahead isn't always going to work and if you need to play dirty, you're not that good. 

Tirek: I don't see him being reformed. 

King Sombra: I consider him dead 

Flim Flam brothers: I don't see them being reformed. 

As long as the reforming is believable, I don't have a problem with it. I didn't like the way Discord was reformed in "Keep Calm and Flutter On", but I don't have a problem with him being reformed. 

Sunset Shimmer was disliked in the first movie when she was bad, but when she became good, she was far more liked. I like Sunset Shimmer better now that she's reformed. 

I think the reason they're bad in the first place determines if they should be reformed. Bad parenting, misguided views, fears, things like that, would make a villain being reformed more believable. 

If Suri Polomare had a history of stealing, Rarity would be more wary of lending her some fabric. They have some history together, and they seem to get along. In fact, Suri didn't become bad until she moved. So her reason for being bad is misguided

If Wind Rider had a history of playing dirty, then I think there would be a red flag. Then again, he probably had no reason to play dirty until he met Rainbow Dash. He knew that she's awesome and saw her as a threat. (Rainbow is awesome) So his reason for being bad is fear. 

Lightning Dust wasn't even bad, so it won't be too unbelievable to reform her. 

Tirek is greedy. He wants everything for himself. If he was reformed, I could imagine Rarity reforming him. I just don't see him being reformed. 

The Flim Flam brothers also don't seem redeemable. 

The Diamond Dogs also don't seem to be redeemable, but I don't think all diamond dogs are bad.

If written correctly, Tirek, Flam and Flam, or the diamond dogs could be reformed. I just don't see it. 

So I don't have a problem with villains being reformed. I just have a problem with how they're reformed. 

What would Wind Rider's sob story be?

What would Wind Rider's sob story be?

I'm not sure it would be a sob story. Did Sunset Shimmer get a Sob Story?

Then again, Sunset Shimmer was forcefully reformed. 

He would learn that playing dirty isn't the only way to be the best by losing against someone who plays fairly. He tries to get revenge but fails. You know, because he would either go against Rainbow Dash or Rarity, who are both awesome. He wouldn't stand a chance. 

I'm not sure it would be a sob story. Did Sunset Shimmer get a Sob Story?

Then again, Sunset Shimmer was forcefully reformed. 

He would learn that playing dirty isn't the only way to be the best by losing against someone who plays fairly. He tries to get revenge but fails. You know, because he would either go against Rainbow Dash or Rarity, who are both awesome. He wouldn't stand a chance. 

He could become a coach for young pegasi.

The show is a celebration of friendship, paying homage to friendship makes complete sense. In fact its one of the reasons I LOVE this show. Antagonists are such for a reason, you see their loneliness, you see their hummanity behind the "chaos" or "visions of equality grandeur" or an absense of truly understanding what the vague concept of friendship truly is. You need to understand that MLP is what it is because the Magic of Friendship is the overcoming. I didnt see Tirek nor Chrysalis reformed for a reason, they were Cold nightmarish villans with no empathy in their heart. 

I'll say with Starlight it was rushed so felt um, insincere or too swift of a conclusion like she could've lied about it to be safe.

Also, think about real life equivalents, if they don't get reformed they either need to be killed, or they'll break free repeatedly throughout the years, and its a kids show so they can't be killed. Think of criminals, do we want to let them get rereleased into society without being reformed after serving their time then get repeat offenses? Its why jails do try these days to reform people, or at least are starting to. 

And punishment for punishment's sake is barbaric and promotes conflict and misunderstandings. 

Also they reformed Discord, who could be too much worse than that? Tirek, would you guys want Tirek reformed or no? Thats the true question, or Sombra but Sombra kinda reformed in the comics already.

Edited by Lil Pip

I'll say with Starlight it was rushed so felt um, insincere or too swift of a conclusion like she could've lied about it to be safe.

Also, think about real life equivalents, if they don't get reformed they either need to be killed, or they'll break free repeatedly throughout the years, and its a kids show so they can't be killed.

I kind of dislike how Kids can't handle characters dying. Death is a natural thing.

Anyways...

Yes. I actually become a pure-evil villan that would't die so easily just like Starlight did on Cutie Map, she was still a villan that escaped.

But then she got reformed

Brah.

honestly, it'd be refreshing to have a villain pretend to accept their friendship and reform only to have them stab them in the back and be like "YOU ARE SO FREAKING GULLIBLE"

I mean its funny, we had a character designed from the ground up to give the lesson that there ARE some people who you just can't make friends with even if you try with Gilda, and they go and do a 180 XD

I really just would like to get more villains and less reformation really.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not sick of it. Everyone deserves a second chance, even those who don't seem like they should get one. I remember seeing a video about it by either Josh Scorcher or Silver Quill. Maybe the reason Equestria is so peaceful and loving is because they can forgive others as long as it takes. Kind of like Undertale, now that I think about it.

Mainly because 90% they just aren't believable. I understand the show is called "Friendship is Magic", "everyone has some good in them", "it suits the show", yadda yadda yadda. But my biggest issue is that most of the villains being redeemed are more or less supervillain, tyrant, evil god status characters and are incredibly rushed making them even more out of nowhere. I mean with Starlight they had a fucking 30 second montage of her being easily forgiven by literally everyone and dancing happily with the mane 6, right after trying to change history and explaining a really, really bad motive for her ideals and plans. Hell even Sunset Shimmer, one of the better redeemed characters, had to go through an entire second movie to actually work because her initial redemption was horribly rushed and out of nowhere.

just because she's forgiven doesn't mean she's instantly redeemed. Like Discord, and SS, she has to take steps toward betterment. It's a process.

Time will tell if she's 100% redeemed or not

just because she's forgiven doesn't mean she's instantly redeemed. Like Discord, and SS, she has to take steps toward betterment. It's a process.

Time will tell if she's 100% redeemed or not

I keep seeing this brought up, but the thing is, and my problem like I said earlier is that unlike Discord and Sunset, who've both have had episodes and an entire movie respectively centered around their redemptions, Starlight gets a fucking minute long montage of being redeemed, forgiven, and accepted with no effort whatsoever, and honestly based on that montage I'm not expecting any sort of follow up any time soon

Edited by Megas

I keep seeing this brought up, but the thing is, and my problem like I said earlier is that unlike Discord and Sunset, who've both have had episodes and an entire movie respectively centered around their redemptions, Starlight gets a fucking minute long montage of being redeemed, forgiven, and accepted with no effort whatsoever, and honestly based on that montage I'm not expecting any sort of follow up any time soon

end of series montages have always been a thing. "Let the rainbow remind you" and "best night ever", for instance

Like I said. Only time will tell if she's truly reeemed