Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Are you looking forward to the return of Starlight Glimmer?

Dracu98

(edited)

I don't care about her.

She still is the overpowered one, who was shoehorned into the show like the 7th ranger or something like that. Now she is just another pony, who takes screen time away from other ponies, i actually care about.

Secretly, i lost all hope for a Celestia-Slice-of-Life-Episode, because it's more likely to happen, that another new character or even princess is about to show up out of thin air, who gets all the attention of the staff. -.-

Edited by Swifty
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

Not really.  I really don't like her character reformation and feel that she didn't do anything to actually deserve being friends with the mane 6 at all.

She was basically given their friendship on a silver platter and unlike Sunset Shimmer, Starlight Glimmer didn't have to work at all in order to gain acceptance by the people that she wronged and ended up not having to face any consequences for her actions.

Seeing as how she had committed countless human rights violations, actively tried to ruin people's lives, royally screwed up time in space, leading to apocalyptic timelines, and more, I find it to be ridiculous that we are expected to immediately forgive Starlight Glimmer for causing much more damage than any of the previous villains have ever done in the series.

But I am curious to see what kind of character Sunburst is and the fact that their reunion doesn't go smoothly does at least give me a small amount of hope for Starlight's character arch.

If Rainbow Rocks was able to make me love Sunset Shimmer after an initial reformation at the end of the first movie that I didn't care for, maybe season 6 will be able to make me like Starlight Glimmer.

But as for now, we have to wait and see.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 2

Sending SG to prison or back to Our Town would've completely nullified Starlight's redemption. If they did that, then you resume the dangerous cycle and, even worse, make Twilight look like a complete fraud. She needs guidance, not banishment.

She could get plenty of guidance from mental health institutions as they work on her impulsive anger issues and psychopathic tendencies.  ;)

In any case, I'm struggling to see how adding Starlight to the main cast won't ultimately be a detriment to the mane five. It clearly hasn't worked for Equestria Girls -- the humane five don't feel like main characters at all. How can the mane five avoid feeling like "bottom tier" characters when there's yet another layer of importance separating them from Twilight? The writers are obviously going to have to bend over backwards just for Starlight: having her come out as a hero as many times as possible, having her come up with solutions, and whatever else they'll clearly have to do to just to make us forget all the terrible things she's done (which includes attempting to kill Twilight) and convince us that there's no longer an evil bone in her body. 

Furthermore, Twilight was powerful enough to make them feel borderline useless at times, so adding yet another tremendously overpowered character will simply devalue them further. 

The way I see it, transitioning Starlight into a main will simply screw the mane five over in favor of a character who not only hasn't earned what they've earned, but cannot feasibly do so this late in the show. 

• Brohoof 1

I already hoped they would bring her back for season 6 for I didnt really hate or dislike her but they do have to do this right. Make her a student of twily and learn new things from each other

(edited)

I was disappointed to find out that she's going to feature in the opener, I was hoping that she'd get sucked into the background like most of the other reformed antagonists.  A greater fear for me though is that she may become a fixture not just in the opener, but throughout the entire series.

Generally, introducing new characters into an established ensemble does not end well.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 5

(edited)

I was disappointed to find out that she;s going to feature in the opener, I was hoping that she'd get sucked into the background like most of the other reformed antagonists.  A greater fear for me though is that she may become a fixture not just in the opener, but throughout the entire series.

Generally, introducing new characters into an established ensemble does not end well.

This has been my concern, but there is always a chance that they do decide to make her more of a background pony after the première.. But seems like the direction that they are taking doesn't sound too promising. We will have to see, I guess.

Edited by AtomicStone
  • Brohoof 1

Do I want to see my least favorite character, who I have little to no sympathy for, get the lion's share of the premier with a woobie "I just want to make up with my friend" plot that's going to be the emotional focus and later on be the linchpin to saving the day? Yeah no, I'm not looking forward to Starlight's return.

Holy celestia, took the words right outta my mouth. Having sunset replace starlight is a MUCH better idea. I honestly don't care about starlight at all, why should I? The show gave me no reason to.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Yes, I would say so. While her redemption may have been just a little rushed (although I don't think it was as bad as some people made it out to be), I think her being a relatively regular character presents many interesting story possibilities.

Edited by NeonCobalt

(edited)

I predict Sunburst will be an asshole, to make us sympathize with Starlight.

It's a cheap way of getting fans to like a character. Have a character that fans don't like? Introduce a character close to them that's even more unlikable, so he/she looks better by comparison.

It's lazy writing. It says that the writers can't think of a way to make the character likable on his/her own merits, they have to introduce someone even worse so they don't look as bad.

Edited by VG_Addict
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

Considering the rushed and cheapened reformation Starlight had in "The Cutie Re-Mark", I'm not anticipating Starlight Glimmer as much as I was during Season 5. The villain reforming has been done multiple times in this show, and at best Starlight's reformation arc would clone that of Sunset Shimmer, just set in the FiM world instead of EqG. I have a high amount of doubts considering this is really nothing new for the show and how bungled her reformation has been already, but only time will tell how it will go over this season.

Edited by Wind Chaser

I'm looking forward to her. 

But only because I really, really like her voice.

Kelly Sheridan did an excellent job portraying Glimmer. However, I'd argue her performance is one of the main reasons Glimmerdemption fell flat for me. She did such a good job playing the villain that it made it difficult for me to sympathize with Glimmer. I don't know what it was, but Glimmer just had this really smarmy, self-righteous quality about her that was difficult for me to stomach, let alone want to see more of.

• Brohoof 1

Yes I am, ever since I saw her in the season 5 premiere I've liked her a lot, and the finale did not dissapoint. She's a hard character to write imo, but I have good expectations for her in this new season. I hope she's not instantly good like Sunset Shimmer, I want to see her struggling to be good, she doesn't need to become perfect for me to sympathize with her. The mane 6 already forgave her, and they need to keep her under control because she's dangerous, so I hope there's a conflict because of that. About Sunburst, I don't know what that was about, and I didn't want him to return, but I'll let the writers surprise me. I hope they don't become friends again though.

Starlight is a big gamble, some love her and some hate her. I appreciate that the show is taking that kind of risk, but I understand why she's hated. I'll have to wait until season 6 to see how they deal with her, because the expectations are really high, considering how good they did in season 5.

Quite frankly I was hoping she'd go back to her village and permanently disappear like forever. Unfortunately judging by the synopsis we'll going to be seeing her alot so we got a villain Sue that's most likely going to be appearing alot.

Isn't that just great!?? Now the show will be infected by what is an embodiment of a bad OC and not only that but she might even be a main cast member. It's already enough her existence is unjustified and she's the only villain that's mindless entertainment but now we'll have to see that contrived personality again. My little hope I have is that due to Sunburst appearing this might conclude her story but I don't have high hopes for that.

• Brohoof 2

It's going to be a bit awkward to see her reformed, but I'm still extremely excited! I love Starlignt to bits, and I'll always take a chance to get more of her. I just hope she is played off as a good character. If she's ruined as a good character, I'll be really dissappointed. I'd love to see her as a 'pony with unknown potential' or something. If she's a major plot point, I'll love her even more.

I love Starlight, and I want to see more.

• Brohoof 1

I personally think it's time we moved on. I really don't see what the birth of Flurry Heart has to do with Starlight or why she needed to be there. If they wanted to reunite here with Starburst(that's what i prefer to call him) then they should have just put that in the montage in the finale. I really don't see what she has to offer the show. 

Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised though. I won't rule it out.

(edited)

They've never been good at reformations, in fact the one reformation that had the most development out of the bunch is Trixie, and we haven't seen much out of her since the last time she was there. If anything, I'd rather Starlight of had that "Alicorn Amulet" as an explanation for how powerful and diabolical she was instead of her backstory we did get. Hell even if that WAS the backstory, the Alicorn amulet would of provided a better reason on why she took it as far as she did. 

That being said, they do smooth out the landings on reformed characters pretty well if Sunset Shimmer is any indicator, so I'm interested to see what they do with her moving forward. 

Edited by Buck Testa

Oh I’m looking forward to it alright. This problem must be resolved, and what better way to do it than to shine light upon its twisted form. So go ahead writers and let her zap to the extreme!