Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which of the Mane 6 would make the best mother?

Koumorikichikun

37 users have voted

1. 1. Which of the Mane 6 would make the best Mother?

• Twilight
    • Rarity
    • Applejack
    • Pinkie Pie
    • Fluttershy
    • Rainbow Dash
    • All of them

The season 6 premiere got me thinking about this. When Shining Armour talks about how stressful it can be being a father, Fluttershy replied "I could only imagine what it's like". And I instantly thought Fluttershy would make a great mother, she's nurturing, compassionate and gentle with her animals, so I'd assume she'd be the same with a baby. However she might struggle with setting boundaries or disciplining the child, given her tendency to shy away from conflict, or she might even spoil the baby and ignore bad behaviour. At worst, her child might act like Angel Bunny in "Putting Your Hoof Down". This is where a strong father figure could come in and be the Yin to Fluttershy's Yang (*cough* Big Macintosh *cough*).

Applejack is also warm and compassionate, but I'd see her being more of a stern parent than Fluttershy, but not too much so that she would be too strict or Celestia forbid, abusive. She might be an even better mother than Fluttershy. However I disagree with the way she handled Babs Seed's bullying of the CMC. She got away with no punishment, and many fans think Babs Seed was a karma houdini, which I think so to.

What do you think, guys?

Edited by Koumorikichikun
  • Brohoof 2

I would say that Applejack would be best, mainly because she has been shown to be very family oriented. She might be a little strict sometimes, but I think she would act more responsible if it was her own kid.

• Brohoof 7

I would say that Applejack would be best, mainly because she has been shown to be very family oriented. She might be a little strict sometimes, but I think she would act more responsible if it was her own kid.

Yes, and I always see her as the mother figure in the Mane 6.

• Brohoof 3

I think Applejack,Twilight, and Fluttershy would make the best parents. Twilight because she basically is a parent to Spike. Applejack because of her responsible nature, and how she is basically Applebloom's mom, and Fluttershy for the reasons you stated. I know somebody who is a mix of Fluttershy and Applejack put together and they are a great parent. Rarity could learn to be a good parent as could the other 2 but it would take them longer to get used to being parents and they would have to become more responsible first. 

• Brohoof 2

I think it would be Pinkie. She's fun, playful and silly and we've already see her dealing with foals already in "Baby Cakes" plus a mother who's always happy and cheerful is the best foalhood.

I don't normally reply to these threads, But it would be Fluttershy or Pinkie hands down. They both have the capability and experience. (and flutters has even more than pinke, and more like a mother than any of the other characters)

Rainbow Dash is great with kids (baby rescuer and coach) and little sisters (Scootalove).  I've always thought she'd be a fun but protective mother who would encourage and believe in any child she had; and obviously be there to catch them should they fall.

And I don't like this "best mother" business.  It isn't something really (much less conclusively) measurable, and, should you ask the prospective filly or colt of any Mane Six, I'd think it likely that they'd say, "My mom."  Bias can be beautiful.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I think Applejack,Twilight, and Fluttershy would make the best parents. Twilight because she basically is a parent to Spike. Applejack because of her responsible nature, and how she is basically Applebloom's mom, and Fluttershy for the reasons you stated. I know somebody who is a mix of Fluttershy and Applejack put together and they are a great parent. Rarity could learn to be a good parent as could the other 2 but it would take them longer to get used to being parents and they would have to become more responsible first.

Applejack is headstrong, responsible and dependable. Fluttershy is kind, compassionate and affectionate. Put the two together and you make a very good parent, I agree, not that either on their own wouldn't be great.

Yeah, probably Applejack. Fluttershy, Rarity and Pinkie Pie would be OK parents. Twilight needs to learn to control her stress and Rainbow Dash... ehhh...

Rarity in the Dutch Dubbed MLP sounds like a MIL-- I mean she sounds like she could already be a mom >.>

Lol... She does.

Rainbow Dash is great with kids (baby rescuer and coach) and little sisters (Scootalove).  I've always thought she'd be a fun but protective mother who would encourage and believe in any child she had; and obviously be there to catch them should they fall.

And I don't like this "best mother" business.  It isn't something really (much less conclusively) measurable, and, should you ask the prospective filly or colt of any Mane Six, I'd think it likely that they'd say, "My mom."  Bias can be beautiful.

You make a good argument for Rainbow Dash. She's definitely good with children. She's matured over the seasons.

I don't necessarily agree with your second point. I think all of them would make good mothers, but some one could be better at raising a child than the others.

Also, added a poll.

Edited by Koumorikichikun
  • Brohoof 1

@@Koumorikichikun

Hey there :) 

Considering that this topic discusses more about aspects of the characters from the Show, rather than anything non-show/brony related, I have moved it to a more appropriate section :) 

• Brohoof 2

I tend to agree, I believe all 6 would make great mothers, and each one has shown some sort of reason why they are great with foals (or even fillies). Twilight has raised Spike since he was hatched, Applejack takes care of Applebloom much like a parent, etc. I guess my choice would be Twilight. The way she is with spike I just feel would make a good mother.

Pinkie needs to either mature a bit or have a good husband to help the raise the kid to be really great parent. The rest would benefit from other parent as well but could be great parents alone too I think. It would depend on the child's personality as well who would be the best and you can be a great parent in differnt ways.

It'd be Applejack, duh. She already practically IS a mother figure to Apple Bloom more than anyone else. Literally would have to change little about her and she'd fit right into the mother role easily. Twilight could also do it pretty well probably though she'd have to realize you can't just parent "by the book" and Rarity is definitely mature enough to raise a child and would probably the best when it comes to the "being stern and setting boundries" part of parenting but she'd have to learn to balance her work and raising said kid which obviously can be quite tough. 

Pinkie, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash would be the worst mothers, Pinkie and Dash are far too irresponsible still (and no Pinkie being able to babysit does not mean she'd make a good mother) and Fluttershy well she might be good at first but as the kid grows up her doormat tendencies would really hold her back from being stern and strong when she needs to be, I mean as the OP says, Fluttershy can barely even handle a freaking Rabbit. There's much more to parenting than just being nurturing. 

Edited by M'gann M'orzz

I love how some people still think Rainbow Dash would be a terrible parent despite the fact that the show has repeatedly shown her to work really well with kids 

Though I'll agree that the answer would be AJ, simply because it seems like second nature to her, both because of how she treats Applebloom and because family is a big thing for her

• Brohoof 1

Applejack would be the best because she knows what it is like to go through the hardship of loosing family and then she knows responsibility and what needs to get done. She is by far the best mother

• Brohoof 1

Applejack. No doubt even as a filly she quickly became the mare of the house, took care of the family business and raised Apple Bloom. Applejack creates a very safe yet hardworking environment. Applejack also has ambition and courage setting a good example to her children and can also protect them from dangers like against the Timberwolves. It's also expected for the Apple Family to have progeny as well has a large loving family to fall back on if the legal guardians aren't present.

The most fun though would be Twilight, Luna, Celestia, Rarity, Rainbow Dash or Pinkie Pie with a child.

Edited by cider float

Applejack EASILY. She basically IS a mother since she takes care of Applebloom and virtually her mother as far as things go, running the apple family house and farm.

She's dependable, hard working, dedicated and willing to make whatever sacrifices she has to for AB, kind, and yet at the same time is stern when she needs to be and isn't afraid to put her hoof down.

now, compared fluttershy who's probably the next best character. Sure, fluttershy is kind and dedicated, but she's nowhere NEAR as independent as AJ is (Whenever things go wrong, fluttershy panics, while Applejack keeps a cool head and takes charge in bad situations), and Fluttershy has a SERIOUS issue with putting her hoof down for those under her care: Angel bunny is a MASSIVE spoiled brat, and fluttershy's entire lesson in it ain't easy being breezy was how she couldn't just do everything for others and had to make them stand on their own.

The other four aren't even close to AJ and FS, and AJ blows FS out of the water.

Your points about Applejack are well taken, but if you consider the comics canon, then it turns out that Twilight has also been through the process of raising a baby (spike), and she did it while getting her education at Celestia's school.  

Given how spike has turned out, I'd say she did a pretty good job.  

The way I see it is how each of the Mane 6 would benefit their children.

Twilight: Good for helping with homework

Fluttershy: Would provide such great love and care for her children. Would make a great mother.

Pinkie Pie: Fun to play with, experienced in child care from babysitting. Would go out of way to cheer one up whenever they are sad or depressed.

Applejack: Understands the value of family more than anypony. Strong sense of responsibility would certainly benefit her children.

Rainbow Dash: Would be one of the coolest moms in the world. Plus, element of loyalty would rub off on children

Rarity: Although she might lose her temper with a child's antics, will probably get used to it. Her kids would learn the value of generosity from her.

• Brohoof 1