Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does the merchandise have control, or do you?

ManaMinori

Can you control yourself when it comes to buying pony merch? Do you go out shopping, and habitually make sure to check the aisles for pony, where you know they are? Even if (for those of you who lurk EQD) you KNOW there's nothing new in season (or old) that you have a desire to buy? Do you buy merch just for the sake of having more, in spite of not REALLY, Desperately wanting it? Do you browse sites like ebay, Amazon, or etsy, hunting or pony merch, fostering a desire for ponies, and trying to hold back your wallet, because you KNOW have enough merch already?

Or do you have control over the merch, not letting the desire for more consume you to such an extent, or at all?

• Brohoof 1

I can control myself when it comes to buying merch

I basically save up all year so I can waste like 3-4k at bronycon.

Outside of that I don't buy much.

• Brohoof 2

I always check the aisles when I go out. Though I tend to buy exclusively Fluttershy merch....At this point though, I'm not missing many Hasbro Fluttershy variants...I actually found one at a Canadian store called "Canadian Tire" which is mainly an automotive, tools and outdoor recreational, lighting and in the spring/Summer gardening.. Not a place known for toys.

I've bought a lot of my Merch online though....I think I've got 25+ Fluttershy vinyl figures at this point from Blindbags to Brushables and Funkos. And quite a few Fluttershy plushies as well...

I've also found a couple Flutershys at a Value Village randomly in a bag of other G1, G2, G3, G3.5 and other G4 ponies..

I tend to buy merch if it's cheap or I can afford it...or if I really want it....that said I really wanna get the 4DE Fluttershy plush and the large 8'' Fluttershy Brushable along with a Fashion Style Fluttershy.

• Brohoof 1

I don't own any merch. But you seem to be more of an appreciator of merch/the older generations than most of these guys, so I see why you'd be even more affected than them.

I'm someone who is extremely choosey when it comes to fandom merchandise. That being said, I am "in control" regarding purchasing such things. I look for specific things in plushies, figures, etc. That is why my MLP collection is on the smaller side.

I do have a serious weak spot for pony merch. Most of my left over financial aid check from school went to buying pony stuff. And that was in total like $550. But on the bright side I made sure to buy necessities before spending it all on toys.

The first time I went to a con I went a little overboard with all the stuff i bought. I get buyer's remorse real bad sometimes, and after I got everything I bought in one place I was like, "whoops I lost control again." All that has subsided though.

• Brohoof 1

Given that Hasbro has very little I'd like to buy for myself atm, ( and the stock in my stores suck) I don't have too much trouble.

I do look at ebay alot for my most wanted and I finally found Headband Starlight Glimmer. She's cute. I did pick up some cute fakie babies and G3s at the Swapmeet a couple weeks ago. I'm currently seeking out a childhood pony, a Winger and some flutter ponies. I'm in control.

Edited by Leave a Whisper
  • Brohoof 1

I love collecting pony merch and have ended up with quite a bit over the years I've been a FiM fan. When I first started out, it was actually a brushable Rarity that got me into MLP to begin with. I didn't know anything about the show yet but bought the Rarity because I liked it. I became a brony later on that same year.

I've always loved collecting stuff I like a lot, and there are other things I collect too, but my MLP collection may be the biggest now. I have loads of toys. Brushables, blindbags (and a load of duplicates), Funko figures (both the bigger and smaller ones), Equestria Girls (regular and mini), coloring books, cards (both kinds), DVD's, a blanket, toothbrushes, shampoo... lots of stuff. xD

I often buy pony merch when I go to Wal-Mart, if I'm able to at that time (and if there's anything I want to get). I also sometimes get pony stuff from other places. Sometimes Harding's has pony Beanie Babies (I think I have the Mane 6 now), I've found stuff at Dollar General, etc.

I only seek to buy one of each of my favorite horses, and one of each line, so, nope. Besides, toys are the ones I'm least interested. Comics it's harder, but I seek to buy bundles instead of individual issues. Books, I'm also controlled, as I only buy the most interesting ones for me 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Usually if I go to a store that has MLP merch, and if I'm able to, I'll buy a toy or two depending on what they have, I enjoy collecting it, so yeah, I usually buy something if I can. Sometimes I end up finding all sorts of awesome stuff, or great deals on clearance items, and other times there's not much there to get. Hunting places like Dollar General can actually net some nice finds, believe it or not. Those types of stores often seem to be the best places to get pony coloring books at great prices. Usually they're like a dollar while a lot of coloring books at places like Wal-Mart can be like three dollars. At one dollar store I even got a pony coloring book for 50 cents.  :D 

• 4 weeks later...

I don't really desire merch all that much, so I certainly have control, but I will say that having a Rainbow Dash or Scootaloo plushie would surely be nice. I haven't really bought any pony merch myself, but I do plan on buying pony plushies and a shelf to put them up for display on my wall, regardless of what my brother thinks.

I have never bought pony merchandise and I am not planning on doing it in the future, so I would say that I'm in control.

Also if you aren't in controlin this situation then you need help.

• Brohoof 2