Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

health Do you suffer from anxiety?

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

I've had general and social anxiety since youth. 

It can get so bad, that a nurse thought I was going to have a legitimate heart attack during a doctor visit.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know if it's anxiety per se, but i get lonely extremely easily and i can't be alone for very long before i start getting panicky.

I've suffered from anxiety since I was in elementary school. It's a long story. I get anxious in school, social situations, and in doing something different; generally, going out of my comfort zone.

• 1 year later...

Yes. I am a professional worryer. In fact, I'm worrying about how people might view this post. Will they think I'm acting like a know it all? Does admitting this make me look weak and uninteresting?

But here's the thing - you don't have to believe what you worry about. Without getting too complicated, your brain is pre-wired to alert you with 'images' that evoke emotions to help keep you from harm. For example, if you're out in the woods by yourself and you hear snapping twigs behind you, your brain says, 'hey, the body hears something...it could be dangerous, get ready' and so adrenaline gets pumped out to get you ready to run or fight. And you're totally convinced you need to act because you're seeing images of a bear or a murderer. This makes your heart race and your senses get heightened, and thus, you get either aggressive and/or submissive as a result. This is what worry is, however, you and me, like many people, apply this kind of reaction to many, many things in life. We want to be safe and secure, and comfortable. so when things happen around us that make us feel threatened, the mind and body go to work to prepare you to run or fight - anxiety is a survival instinct that is often misapplied.

So you turn around after hearing the twigs snapping and look to see that it is a harmless bunny. And now you feel relieved. So you take a deep breath and just relax a bit, then you're back to normal. The breathing and taking a time out after a 'worry episode' is very important.

Anyway, same with worry - just calm down and know that your perception of a threat or danger could be wrong. Get facts. Talk to people openly. Be honest about your feelings with those close to you. Don't be afraid to fail, and don't be afraid of what people think of you.

• Brohoof 6

I do have some problems. It mainly results from a fear of getting majorly negative feedback over an error that only I really noticed, which means that I think people are just going to start ignoring me because of some mistakes, which leads me to be hesitant to join in anything.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I have some pretty bad anxiety too. Mainly social anxiety, but there are a couple other things that freak me out. It's gotten worse lately, so I've been working with some people to help get over it before it interferes with my life anymore.

• Brohoof 2

Recently I had to learn a lesson on anxiety. My coworker has it bad, and I'm always poking fun at him because he hides it behind his mask of thick skin, but we ended up in a heavier-than-usual conversation about existentialism and he eventually worked his way into his own anxiety problems. It's easy to tell a person to get over something or move on, but after we talked about it with him, he prodded at some of my own weaknesses and I had to make a realization that the things I can't easily get over with platitudes. 

I apparently can experience a lot of anxiety when my parents are shouting at me to do things. I believe it's just a part of my autism as I get really frustrated and anxious over it and I naturally have a tendency to shake around over it when my parents are not waching because of my autism. :)   

• Brohoof 2

Currently taking medication for crippling anxiety. The medicine sometimes helps I think but anxiety, especially when it gets bad. it is no joke. I have noticed it worsening over the years. As a result I sorta stay in most of the time but that is fine by me. I can't drive as a result of it all so there isn't much for me to go to anyways. This is in combination with me being autistic and that can be a recipe for disaster.

• Brohoof 1

I have anxiety about keeping my finances up or else. Tying into it is also the anxiety of getting a job, particularly hoping that I'd be granted an interview. Even then, the interview is the part that scares me the most!

Does all that count as anxiety problems?

• Brohoof 2

We all have anxiety. It is natural. The difference is how you choose to behave about it.

Worrying about a job interview - that's okay. Not going out to get it because you are afraid - bad choice. Don't be ruled by your fears, Be ruled by your goals.

• Brohoof 2

Yes, I do.

I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder as well Agoraphobia at the age of 15. I have been on antianxiety medications ever since and along with therapy, I am doing much better nowadays. 

• Brohoof 1

I've had social anxiety since I was young, but got cognitive behavioral therapy for it earlier this year and it helped a lot. I'm still pretty shy, but it doesn't interfere with my life anywhere near as much anymore.

• Brohoof 1

I rarely talk about it, but I have struggled with anxiety for a long time. For a while it was social anxiety, then it kinda morphed into generalized anxiety. It has gotten a lot better over the past year and a half though. I've been on medication for it and I have worked with a therapist.

• Brohoof 2

8 hours ago, BronyNumber42 said:

To what extent? Does it interfere with life?

No, not like that, but it's enough to where it's really annoying. 

• Brohoof 1