Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

health Do you suffer from anxiety?

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

Anxiety is a cruel beast. It makes us a feel a multitude of things, like worry, stress, fear, and generally it makes us feel really, really bad. It's not good. I suffer from pretty severe anxiety, as it is in the 'crippling' category. I take a medicine for it that only seems to work at times, but in times like last night, the medicine had no effect.

So I want to bring up the discussion, do you suffer from anxiety too? If so, how bad is it? How do you cope? Also for the record I am diagnosed with GAD or Generalized Anxiety Disorder. 

• Brohoof 6

Pretty sure I do, never really got checked for it, but I do have other stuff related to it, which I only went to get checked because I thought I had anxiety. I don't really cope, or at least, not well, unless running out of class in the middle of a lesson while crying is considered "handling it well"

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I used to and still do, it was horrible, then took some pills one thing lead to another and it's considerable less of a problem. Though it's still there I got pretty much every anxiety there is to have. lol 

The best thing is trying to just make yourself distracted from it. What I usually do is just listen to music.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94
  • Brohoof 1

Unfortunately I have had anxiety since I was a wee elementary school kid...And this hasn't came to light till I became an adult because my parents believe a child has no right to be sad or stressed because kids don't pay bills or taxes and blah blah blah!

But things are better now that I have help and learn from my experience...For one, with my experience there has been plenty of times where I thought the world was gonna end...And it hasn't. Still, it helps to have people who understand what makes you uncomfortable...Which I thankfully have. As a kid I was always placed out of my comfort zone.

Yup I have anxiety, and its a horrible bitch. My anxiety is really bad, it makes me have terrible headaches, rapid heart rate, etc. The best way to not feel anxious is simply distracting yourself or sometimes, when I cannot handle my anxiety, I drink Tylenol. I don't know why, but it seems to calm me down.

• Brohoof 1

Hmmm, i have fear sometimes, but im not sure if its Anxiety.

Im afraid of others, im afraid of Jobs, im afraid of the Future, sometimes im afraid when im alone...i get a headache from time to time and my fear even did make me cry a few times.

Maybe its Anxiety, specially in Work Places, when i dont have a clear Job, no clear Idea of what im supposed to do and the Person who is responsible for me is gone, that i often just freeze. Because i have no Idea what to do, im unsure.

Then im getting afraid and get in Panic.

So, no Idea if i have Anxiety or not.

Hmmm, i have fear sometimes, but im not sure if its Anxiety.

Im afraid of others, im afraid of Jobs, im afraid of the Future, sometimes im afraid when im alone...i get a headache from time to time and my fear even did make me cry a few times.

Maybe its Anxiety, specially in Work Places, when i dont have a clear Job, no clear Idea of what im supposed to do and the Person who is responsible for me is gone, that i often just freeze. Because i have no Idea what to do, im unsure.

Then im getting afraid and get in Panic.

So, no Idea if i have Anxiety or not.

Thats definitely anxiety. Just calm down and pop a Tylenol.

Thats definitely anxiety. Just calm down and pop a Tylenol.

A Tylenol? I never heard about that.

Is that for headaches?

If its a Pill of some sorts, i have Problems swallowing them.

My Mother says its a head thing and that i just think, i cant swallow Pills.

But...it takes a little long for me to get a Pill down.

A Tylenol? I never heard about that.

Is that for headaches?

If its a Pill of some sorts, i have Problems swallowing them.

My Mother says its a head thing and that i just think, i cant swallow Pills.

But...it takes a little long for me to get a Pill down.

A Tylenol is a pain reliever, like Advil. And yes it's a pill. I just take one when I feel really anxious, and that seems to calm me down. It also has worked for other people. For me, It starts working after 20 minutes of swallowing it.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I'd say so. Luckily it got better in the past months. I finally have the motivation again to go out. 

It's not all that bad, but it is noticeable. Main points would be around the time of taking tests, like the Regents (standardized tests for students in High School which is required for a Regents Diploma here in New York). Meeting deadlines is another big one. 

For some reason, I was having this mini series of panic attacks at my own graduation back in February.

• Brohoof 1

Do I suffer from anxiety?!  What kind of question is that?!  What do I look like to you?!  Some...kinda....well put together, confident, awesome pony or something?!  Why, I'm a pipin' hot mess!

In all seriousness, I consider myself lucky that my anxiety isn't too crippling, for the most part.  I mean, I don't have a social life, and I'm not cut out for life and work in this society, but I get through my days alright.  Could be worse, I guess.  Although the other day I had a full on panic attack in a crowded restaurant and we had to leave minutes after sitting down.  :(

@Kyoshi, I'd like to make a suggestion.  I recommend you seek out the works of Sam Harris.  His books Waking Up and Free Will are the ones that I think might help.  They're not medical books on how to cope with anxiety, but ironically I think you might find them more helpful than anything else.  He also did a bit specifically on anxiety in one of the "Ask Me Anything" segments on his Waking Up podcast on youtube, and I found that to be more helpful and eye opening than anything else I've ever heard.

(edited)

I think what the OP is trying to ask is "Do you suffer from an anxiety disorder". These disorders usually lead to: increased heart rate, chronic migraines and headaches, chest pain, and the dreaded clammy hands. (last one is a joke)

Everyone is anxious at some point in their life, it's not a big deal. I personally don't have any issue anxiety outside of normal problems, despite being very introverted. Odds are if you're anxious about something, there's another person anxious about the exact same thing, and I try to use this logic to calm myself down. Try building up some confidence, or just pretend like you're confident and push through whatever problem you have.

And to those who actually have a disorder, I wish you the best of luck out there.

Edit: I'm not intelligent I only read the title sorry for wasting time.

Edited by Dark Rider

Yes, I do struggle with anxiety. I was diagnosed with panic disorder about six years ago and I was in high school at the time. I'll have a few minor panic attacks during the day and one or two "full-blown" attacks depending on how i'm feeling. I also sometimes have panic attacks during the night, so I wake up feeling frightened or even sick.

Over the years, I have managed to find some coping skills that help alleviate my symptoms. Overall, my anxiety has gotten better, but I still see my doctors on a regular basis and am on a regular medication regimen.

(edited)

I've been officially diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I'm pretty much a live-action, genderswapped version of Twilight Sparkle.

Edited by Silvestra Spooner

I forgot that I suffer from such bad social anxiety that I can't bring myself to be social...One time when I forced myself I hyperventilated...

I just wanna get over my broken heart...And not assume everyone is going to hurt me.

I've had bad anxiety all my life never really realized what it was until last few years. I also been depressed for a very long time. so... yes. I do. Just started seeking help, and I really don't regret doing so since I needed it.

• Brohoof 2

I maybe have anxiety o-o cause I been having it like everyday now like,what am I going in the rest of my life,crying nonstop on why am I doing living without a job and other stuff ._. I refuse to take pills for it!!! Dx

I do. Been prescribed with Citalopram twice...don't know why I don't take it...guess I'm worried it expired and I feel as if I don't need it because the original bit of anxiety I needed help with is gone and I'm generally calm nowadays. However, anxiety has manifested into health anxiety...and I worry a lot.

Uh, yeah. I have aspergers. It feels like someone is holding a sword to your throat, so you're scared to really say or do anything. You don't want to let your real thoughts out because you don't want to risk embarrassment.