Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Buying merch- where do you put your hoof down?

ManaMinori

(edited)

Do you draw the line in refusing to buy pony when you conclude that you're content with the collection you already own?

Or perhaps when you realize that you've run out of storage/display space?

Or maybe you draw the line at just certain types of merch- blind bags? Equestria Girls dolls? MyMoji's? *barf*

As for me, i absolutely refuse to throw money at Equestria Girls barbies (i have caved, allowing myself to buy the movies- and certain EqG Mini's, in spite of them not being pony, because Sunset Shimmer, Pinkie, and Vinyl), but the barbies I will NOT touch. Nor will I do so for the MyMojis, Fashems, or Blind bags (anymore).

But there will come a time, soon, where i will have to draw the line on any more pony merch altogether, due to lack of space to put them.

When do you draw the line, zip up your wallet, and put your hoof down with pony merch?

Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 1

I most definitely have two distinct criteria that usually have to be met ... aesthetic quality and character interest. The lower a ptoduct is on one end ... the higher it has to be on the other for me to buy it.

Funko full size ponies and WeLoveFine figurines are usually a good bet that I'll buy one even if I'm not that interested with the character (such as Flutterbat from WLF and Daring Do). I only buy select characters when it comes to brushables. FiM line figurines are somewhere in the middle where I'll buy a few additional characters like Mayor Made that I would buy as a brushable. The only main line I stay away from are the EqG dolls as they look ridiculous to me. The EqD minis are cute and have only focused on the Mane 7 there so I pick up what I find that looks good.

If it's Rarity ... It has to look ugly as hell for me to pass.

I'm kind of getting to the point with plushes that it has to be certain characters. I want the Sunset Shimmer plush I saw at Target because I love her and SS merch is really rare (at least in my experience).

I won't do the blind bags that are just recolors of the same ponies. You give me a Trixie that's Rarity painted like Trixie, and I say, 'WTF is this *squee*?' I have found some blind bags that I like because they don't have stupid filler ponies. I also draw the line at the EG barbies, but I love the minis because they're just too damned cute.

I will buy anything that's Princess Celestia, even the blasted EG doll of her. I kinda missed the boat on the full-sized Funko figure of her, which makes me sad.

As for brushables, I might go for one of each of the Mane Six, and after that, I'd draw the line, since they're all pretty similar.

I'm kind of getting to the point with plushes that it has to be certain characters. I want the Sunset Shimmer plush I saw at Target because I love her and SS merch is really rare (at least in my experience).

I won't do the blind bags that are just recolors of the same ponies. You give me a Trixie that's Rarity painted like Trixie, and I say, 'WTF is this *squee*?' I have found some blind bags that I like because they don't have stupid filler ponies. I also draw the line at the EG barbies, but I love the minis because they're just too damned cute.

I will buy anything that's Princess Celestia, even the blasted EG doll of her. I kinda missed the boat on the full-sized Funko figure of her, which makes me sad.

As for brushables, I might go for one of each of the Mane Six, and after that, I'd draw the line, since they're all pretty similar.

i get what you mean- in my case, not so much being more choosy with plushies, but with adding to my collection in general. Less space means more careful choosing with what i buy. Mostly Sunset Shimmy- and you're right. Merch of her is few and far between (Dj Pon3, too). But on the bright side- less avaliable space not taken up, i guess.....

Blind bags are laziness at its best. They tske pride in recolors, instead of shelling out dough for unique molds for everypony. Reeks of bullshit, if you ask me. I certainly don't blame you for drawing the line with those abominations (and the EqG barbies)...sans for Sunbutt....

I actually had a Funko of her, but trashed her, because i couldn't stand having her, and what i believed she represented, in my living quarters. Guilty conscious cleared, even if it was $20 down the crapper.

I love to collect MLP merch and have no intention of stopping. I even collect Equestria Girls dolls, both regular and minis. However, there are things I decide not to get for one reason or another.

One is price. I once dropped like $40 on a playset and regretted it. Never again. Smaller, cheaper ones? Sure. Big expensive ones? No way, not again. Ten dollars is one thing, $40 is another.

Some figures I don't care for, either because I don't like the pose or I'm not into the character. I never got Big Mac or Dr. Hooves vinyls because I just don't care for those characters enough to buy them. I would love to have a Derpy mini-figure, but the one I saw in the store was hideous. I don't bother with the silly little RC cars and trains and stuff, either. Also, I don't know why someone would want a huge expensive Pinkie Pie with beads for hair, or one of those horrifying baby ponies. And big pink talking Celestia? Ugh, no. Even though pink is actually my favorite color, still no.

Also some of the merch doesn't really appeal to me, like the little dresses for kids and stuff. There's no way I could squeeze into a tiny pony dress made for little girls. xD Adult sized pony shirts, sure, but that's different. Also, I usually don't bother with the pony picture books anymore though I do like the chapter books. Pretty much all the picture books are good for (unless you have like a three year old sister) are the art, but even then a lot of them use way too many stock vectors.

I refuse to buy any. Hasbro needs no more incentives to make plastic trash. They can earn enough revenue off their other product lines and shows.

I tend to only buy plushies that look good enough for me. I don't care for the spaghetti mane ponies I'm always seeing at Target, and I don't plan on buying those. The only plushies I actually like are the Build-a-Bear Ponies.

As for brushables and blind bags, I'm willing to buy each and every one of them as long as they aren't so incredibly expensive. If they cost too much money, I wait until they show up at a flea market for a ridiculously low price. I was able to get my Shadowbolt Rainbow Dash in mint condition for $3 there.

Well, I never buy the EQG dolls. (except the recent ones.) I also really like the  Build-a-bear ponies too.

The merch I'm REALLY excited for is the Guardians of Harmony sets.

Brushables: I buy them fairly often. Especially if there's one I really like.(Starlight)

Blind bag ponies: No. I just don't. They're mostly recolors. I'll buy them if they have a unique sculpt.

(edited)

Over 40 bucks for a single toy is a big fat no.

If I can't display then I have way too many.

I personally hate EG. I like MLP because it has colorful horsies. Not dolls. I'm not a Barbie Girl.

Anything I can't easily fix. I prefer to leave bait ponies for restorers/customizers.

Edited by Leave a Whisper

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Some instances, I usually don't buy any merch that doesn't have the "look" of the character. I've notice this especially on some plushies.

Edited by Midnight Glow

Usually I don't even get to make the decision myself. I typically stick with higher quality stuff (like commissioning the plushie folks here) that's one of a kind rather than getting the same merch every other Brony has :) That and my other half gets less annoyed with me attempting to decorate the house with pony art. Saying that, she more or less put a hoof down on me getting more stuff...well that I tell her about.

As of now

I refuse to buy any mass produced plush toys that aren't made by 4DE as they tend to be terrible in quality at least in my taste.

So far my figurines consists of Funko Vinyls and those of WeLoveFines.

While I may possibly buy the Equestria Girls Minis figures eventually, the standard dolls are outright unappealing to me.

In terms of clothing... whatever design is appealing to me.

And I have interest in getting the comics and books that specifically expands the MLPFIM universe like Journal of the Two Sisters.

I don't buy anything I call "Walmart quality" anymore, i.e. blind bags, plushes with the weird stringy hair, etc. I have about 40 blind bag ponies and regret buying them all - they're pure laziness at its best, with most of them just being repainted and repainted pretty horribly at that. I also don't buy anything Equestria Girls related because I didn't like the movies at all, and the dolls look very weird to me, not at all cute. I'm running out of room pretty quickly (the only space I have left is on my computer desk), so I'll only bother to buy the high quality figurines + plushies for characters I like, and t-shirts because I can never have too many of those. I plan to redo my room in the future, and will most likely box up some useless pony merch just to conserve room.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually shy away from most merch that isn't Fluttershy...unless it's well made or  the merch itself is unique in a certain way, it either being an exclusive of some sort or over all not a common thing to see. Like, my best non-Fluttershy merch is probably my WLF Trixie vinyl, Glow In THe Dark Zecora or my BronyCon 2012 Rarity card....but I'm a sucker for anything Fluttershy...Heck, today I spent $3 on a Fluttershy PEZ dispenser...

I don't think I'll stop buying pony merch as long as I have money to spare on it. As for what I get, I generally stick with Funko figurines and plushies. I sometimes get shirts and what not, but those can get expensive.