Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you own that has the most sentimental value to you?

Vulcan

I have an antique microscope my great-great uncle gave me about 20 years ago. I was one of the few in the family that got to know him well.

And I'm starting to miss him after thinking about that. :( 

• Brohoof 2

I have a couple things which mean a lot to me. One is a Twilight Sparkle figure that my brother gave me for Christmas in 2014. It was my first piece of pony merch, and it really helped me to start liking myself as a brony, as well as start overcoming a bought of depression. I also feel very sentimental about my name tags from when I served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon). They remind me of when I had a lot of difficult challenges, but met a lot of amazing people that I'll never forget.

My family used to own a 1998 Jeep Wrangler TJ. 4 liter, five-speed stick shift. It was a steal. 225,000 miles, no rust or leaks anywhere, interior in good condition (although we replaced it eventually) and all for $5,500.

My dad and I Frankensteined that hunk. We replaced the entire sound system, put an amplifier under the steering and a subwoofer under the the new center console. When that didn’t work well, we got an even bigger one and put it in the trunk.

We had it lifted by four inches. Then, when the transmission went whacky as a result, we got a transmission jack, pulled the transfer case out, got an older, more beat-up transfer case, cracked it open and practiced, then placed a slip yoke eliminator in the newer one.

New adjustable rear control arms to maintain the bars’ angles, better back hitch, had a new interior put in.

My God, it was fun to drive. It had a canvas top, so there was no reason to play music quietly. Blasted AC/DC and Queen wherever I went. Engine just hummed happily no matter when.

We had bigger wheels put on when we lifted it, but we never changed the gear for the speedometer. So the measured speed was 5/6 of the actual speed (you get used to converting), but the gear ratios fit perfectly into measured multiples of 10.

We had it for over a year.

And then some guy went and fucking stole it about a month ago while I was in Japanese class.

We bought another Jeep, 2005, hard top, six-speed manual, wind-down windows. It just feels a little domesicated. The speakers cut in and out and the engine is a bit smaller.

And the day after we received the insurance claim money, I got a call from the police. “We got your car, it’s at _____ Towing Company.” I wanted to take my Jeep home, but it wasn’t ours anymore. It was the insurance company’s.

It was full of junk that asshole stole from other people’s cars that he couldn’t sell. Backpacks with different IDs, including a Nepalese passport. Half a dozen used crack pipes. He found the amp under the steering column. Stole our subwoofer. Ripped the lock out of the center console, but couldn’t get it open. We spent 12 grand on it and lost $4,500 because the insurance claim was small, even after negotiating.

It’s up for auction right now. The initial price was $25.

I want my fucking Jeep back.

EDIT: This is my actual Jeep: https://www.salvagebid.com/897810728-1998-jeep-wrangler--tj/

Edited by Arkadios

Moving around a lot means I don't have any objects I had for a long time since they all get lost in storage. I've managed to hold onto my deceased grandmother's wallet though. It still has a few of her cards and stuff. I added a paper in there. On it, she wrote the entire lyrics of Puff the Magic Dragon.

Hm... I'd have to say my Pound Puppy. My grandfather got it for me during Christmas time when I was still a baby. He passed away when I was very young, but I still feel very close to him as my guardian angel and what not.

• 1 year later...