Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rikifive

That's entirely possible. It just boils down to which directions Rikifive wants the doors to face.

Thanks for the info on Game Maker; I've never used it before.

Hmm...well, the barn could look good from nearly any angle, so I'll try keeping it simple and make it aligned with the X- and Y-axes.  It'll require a little fudging of the layout of SAA, but it'll be quite doable and still, overall, fit with the show.

It's where the gazebo is that I'm having trouble with; the grass under the gazebo is very green, but most of the grass around SAA is pretty brownish wherever there's grass at all, and I don't see the gazebo in the standard shots of SAA like this one:

SAA show ref 12.bmp

• Brohoof 1

Oh yeah, I also need to make some quick melodies for the game as well but piled wih song contests and screenwriting is taking up some of my free time. I'll make the time somewhere around this month

• Brohoof 1

@@HereComesTom, Yep yep, it's all possible. Maps can even use a mix of views - some buildings in typical RPG-view, some in isometric ~ it's all about how it all looks like together - it all can be scripted properly. There will be free movement (AKA Pixel movement), so moving diagonally etc. is allowed - no need to stick to any grid.

Don't worry about that   Hopefully, this just means that, when you're ready to come back to this project, there'll be a lot of assets for you to work with to make a proof-of-concept.

Having a nice map will allow me to test features more efficiently, which will help with scripting them as well as making previews look much better.  :)

@@BloodDrops, Uhh.. I'm not sure what you mean. I don't think so?

When the game will cover 1st and 2nd episode, which will basically contain all the basic features (some introduction, movement, battles, menus), then the game will be thrown into BETA tests and then, after some bughunting, it will be released publicly.

Then, the game will be developed further in the meanwhile, receiving updates with further episodes and such.

@@HereComesTom, Generally any angle will be okay except the ones, where the doors are facing upwards, because they will be simply not visible, but still, it is possible to make it all work (like making building semi-transparent when getting behind it to make the elements visible etc.)

As for the grass - we could make multiple tiles with grass, for example green, brownish and kinda-gradient-like-transition one with few directions. Well there are few possible ways to approach this, so generally no need to worry, multi-colored grass is definitely not a problem.

@@C. Thunder Dash, Hmmm yeah I see where you're going with this, because I'm not sure where could I use this yet. Anyway there's no need to worry, as there will be multiple battle themes dependable on location/situation, so there'll be need for tons of them. At the moment I don't know which specific ones I will need, so that's why I'm kinda quiet with this.

A game-dev forums non-brony member was offering his services for free, so I've made a request there, while not knowing what exactly I'll need besides 'battle theme' keyword. To be honest he did a great work, considering, that he totally didn't know the source-style. I'm pretty sure I'll find a nice usage for this song, but this is about to be found.

To avoid situations like this, I'll just wait until I'll bump into 'lack of a matching song' issue before requesting anything. That way, I'll also have an accurate description on what is needed, when I'll be able to give the description visually.

@@InklingBear, No worries, it's totally fine. I'm not even able to give an accurate description on what would be needed at the moment, so if there would be anything bad - then that would be my fault.

I'm sorry for being quiet, but being able to see the situation would probably give you some inspiration, rather than when I'd be randomly requesting. :twi: 

@@FezPatrickPony, Yup, as has been said, not anytime soon. There's so many things to be programmed and drawn, so it will definitely take some time. The progress should be getting faster with time - that hardest part is to 'begin'.

Blame everything on me. :rarity:

Game development is a very slow process, especially when you want it done right.

Well said.

It also depends on genre.

For example, I've made a playable* sidescroller shooter game within a week. All graphics, songs and sounds effects were also made within that week. Full game could be done in like 3 months.  :P

* - there was only introduction cutscene, menu and first level, but the game was functional.

RPG's though, are one of the most complex genres to make as they have tons of different features, numbers and stats to keep track of. Making a pretty nice RPG takes so much time. Many people use "RPG Maker" software to make RPG's and even though most of the features are scripted right at the beginning, it still takes about a year or even more to make a good game.

I admit, I planned to make a simple game at the beginning, but that wasn't making me feel proud of myself, so I decided to give it a serious approach and make the game much more unique, than just a random RPG, that looks like tons of other RPG's.  :rarity:

Thanks BLS.

• Brohoof 2

What is your experience in Game Maker? I've been making games in Ruby for ~1.5 years, but I'm new to Game Maker, so I'm not hiding, that most likely I'll be making silly mistakes. We could throw ideas around and stuff.

Besides, there'll be many minigames, so if you'd be experienced in making some puzzle games or something like that, then anything would be useful. ^^

well, I have like 5 months of experience I feal my work is by no why insane and I the game I am working on now (Project Blam) is very much unfinished and need a lot Of work but I feal what I have is good I can send you a link to it when I can get it.

• Brohoof 1

I figure I should give an update on what I have so far for Sweet Apple Acres.

It's kind of slow going at the moment; I'm juggling several projects, but I have re-watched a few episodes to try to get a feel for SAA's layout, and I've got quite a few notes and I think I can put something general together.

At the moment, I'm trying to put together the barn; here's the draft I have so far:

post-29126-0-00425800-1481767361_thumb.png

(EDIT:  thanks to Alphys Hedge for explaining how spoiler tags work!)

I've made a few more trees as well:

post-29126-0-82542200-1481767564.png  post-29126-0-68102200-1481767583.png

post-29126-0-44627700-1481767612.png

post-29126-0-97076300-1481853995.png  post-29126-0-28279100-1481854017.png

post-29126-0-15569700-1481854038.png

EDIT:  I've added the non-apple-bearing trees as well.

At the moment, I'm thinking Sweet Apple Acres will be sprawling mostly left and right; the barn will be kind of center-left and in front of the area's main entrance, with the carrot-house over on the left and carrot/cabbage fields between it and the barn, then there'll be a pigsty behind the barn, an entrance to the orchards behind and to the right of the barn, orchards sprawling a ways to the right of it, and at the far right, the CMC's clubhouse.  There'll be some hay bales by the fence that separates the orchards from the barn area, a well near the entrance, and those shack-things will be near the fence on the right as well.

One thing I'm having trouble placing is the Gazebo; I'm hoping to put it generally near the entrance, since (in the very first episode) Twilight couldn't have gone far from the entrance when AJ grabbed her and dragged her to the Apple Family's take on Epic Meal Time :P

Edited by HereComesTom
  • Brohoof 1

(I'd totally have spoilered that if I knew how...in fact, if someone PM's me and explains how, I'd be more than happy to edit this post and put it in spoiler tags)

Spoiler boxes are done by putting "spoiler" in brackets, the text/image, and then "/spoiler" in brackets, like in the screenshot here:

393407c04554497088f11c1b75888368.png

Edited by Alphys Hedge
  • Brohoof 1

@@Raven Drakeaurd, I see ~ I'm curious, so I'd gladly take a look at this. ;)  

@@HereComesTom, The one, who works slow at the moment, is nopony else than me, so no worries, you're doing a great job in every possible meaning of these words.  :rarity: I can't even use image-editing software here on that notebook, I want my PC back. D:

As for your progress - Holy balls I'm impressed. The draft looks really great already and it all just looks interesting. post-38649-0-53586000-1479961547.png

I like the idea for that layout, seems detailed and accurate.

Remember, that you can always split the whole SAA into parts, to make it visually bigger if you know what I mean.

For example putting the area with many trees and CMC clubhouse in a separate map. We can always make a transition, where a path will transfer player to that area. There could be a zoomed-out look on that area in background on the main SAA map perhaps? Placing everything in one map could be kinda difficult, dependable on angles and such, so feel free to use that opportunity to organize things. You don't have to, I'm just saying, that you can do this. (=

I think, that making multiple parts will be effective when working on Ponyville..

To be honest I also think, that putting the Gazebo somewhere near the entrance would be good. Anyway, that's a minor detail, so you shouldn't be worried about it that much. ^^ Besides, we can always move that around later if for example, during eventing/programming we'd encounter a tiny issue with its placement or just if we'd find a better place for it.  ;)

Either way, you're doing an amazing work! It looks really decent already and I can't wait to see it completed! post-38649-0-53586000-1479961547.png

And please remember, take your time, there's no need to hurry, especially when I'm doing nothing myself at the moment, for what I feel bad.

If you're interested, I could officially add you to dev-team, because you deserve getting a credit.  :fluttershy:

I was wondering, if making a dev-group chat would be a good idea. There we could discuss things faster and asking for opinion or asking tiny questions would be doable. Just an idea though, I don't mind talking through this thread, unless others do.  ^_^

As for spoilers, yup what Alphys said.  :)

There's also something, but I'll wait with this until I'll be able to get back to my PC.

• Brohoof 1

@@Raven Drakeaurd, I see ~ I'm curious, so I'd gladly take a look at this. ;)  

@@HereComesTom, The one, who works slow at the moment, is nopony else than me, so no worries, you're doing a great job in every possible meaning of these words.  :rarity: I can't even use image-editing software here on that notebook, I want my PC back. D:

As for your progress - Holy balls I'm impressed. The draft looks really great already and it all just looks interesting.

I like the idea for that layout, seems detailed and accurate.

Remember, that you can always split the whole SAA into parts, to make it visually bigger if you know what I mean.

For example putting the area with many trees and CMC clubhouse in a separate map. We can always make a transition, where a path will transfer player to that area. There could be a zoomed-out look on that area in background on the main SAA map perhaps? Placing everything in one map could be kinda difficult, dependable on angles and such, so feel free to use that opportunity to organize things. You don't have to, I'm just saying, that you can do this. (=

I think, that making multiple parts will be effective when working on Ponyville..

To be honest I also think, that putting the Gazebo somewhere near the entrance would be good. Anyway, that's a minor detail, so you shouldn't be worried about it that much. ^^ Besides, we can always move that around later if for example, during eventing/programming we'd encounter a tiny issue with its placement or just if we'd find a better place for it.  ;)

Either way, you're doing an amazing work! It looks really decent already and I can't wait to see it completed! 

And please remember, take your time, there's no need to hurry, especially when I'm doing nothing myself at the moment, for what I feel bad.

If you're interested, I could officially add you to dev-team, because you deserve getting a credit.  :fluttershy:

I was wondering, if making a dev-group chat would be a good idea. There we could discuss things faster and asking for opinion or asking tiny questions would be doable. Just an idea though, I don't mind talking through this thread, unless others do.  ^_^

As for spoilers, yup what Alphys said.  :)

There's also something, but I'll wait with this until I'll be able to get back to my PC.[/quote

Start a discord server, it's what the cool kids are doing

If you're interested, I could officially add you to dev-team, because you deserve getting a credit. :fluttershy:

I appreciate the offer, but...well, long-term, I'll probably be doing more work on my own game-project; hopefully within a few months, I'll have enough features in my editor that I can ask around for help building up more environments.  Probably once that happens, I'll probably be too swamped to do much for MLP: The Game.

The main reason I'm helping out right now is because I really want to see this project get a good chance to get started.  It takes a proof-of-concept to really get a project started started, and I figure helping with that right now could be crucial.

That being said, getting mentioned in the credits would be nice :)  Once it gets done, of course.

As for your progress - Holy balls I'm impressed. The draft looks really great already and it all just looks interesting. heart.png

Thanks :)  I still need to get the outline of that little roof over the big barn-doors to the right proportions and the little steeple-thing on the roof in, but once I do, I can start coloring it in.

• Brohoof 1

To the question of a dev-chat, I'd also say make a Discord server. You can keep things organized that way and even talk to each other through voice channels for better discussions. But ultimately that's up to the dev-team, not me.

And holy sh**, HereComesTom. That's some nice work you've done there.

• Brohoof 2

@@HereComesTom, No worries, that's understandable. Of course you'll be mentioned in the credits.  :)

As for dev-chat - Yeah, I had Discord in mind, but at least at the moment there's kinda no point in making one I guess. We'll see how things will go and eventually it will be setup at some point.

• Brohoof 1