Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are the least expected references you saw in the show?

Oleks

MLP sure does have a lot of cool references, and we already expect each new episode to have some bits of classic or pop culture hidden somewhere. But one still can find many surprising allusions that you hardly expect to see in such a show. Post them here!

So, for me some of those are:

Pulp Fiction reference – definitely didn’t expect to see it in MLP:
large.png

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air reference – a really nice one, I thought everybody forgot about that show:
921359__safe_screencap_human_ponified_ir

Grumpy Cat reference – right out of the blue. Probably, the animators thought “why the hell not?”
1214955__safe_solo_screencap_background+
  • Brohoof 3

I wasn't expecting the ponified version of Charlie Brown to show up during "Made in Manehatten" along with Rarity parodying Lucy by having her own stall and saying "Good grief".

• Brohoof 1

I certainly didn't expect Big Mac to apparently give AJ the famous Spider-Man line as advice. :lol:

Slender Man in Pinkie Apple Pie.

The MGS Alert in Make New Friends But Keep Discord.

The cardboard anime Ponies in Scare Master.

And the dakimakura pillows in Stranger Than Fan Fiction.

Edited by A.V.

• 1 month later...

Pacific Glow's "pacifier" is a reference to the drug LSD usually taken during Electronic Dance Music festivals. This quite shocked me because for a show like MLP to reference this seems really out-of-context and disheartening to me.

Pretty much everything about Orwell and totalitarianism in "The Cutie Map", the use of "Dale Dale Dale" in "The Goof Off", and also the background ponies referencing Planes, Trains, & Automobiles and Home Alone.

1009027__safe_screencap_lemon+hearts_hea

On top of all of that, Fluttershy's anime obsession in "Scare Master" was definitely one of the strangest moments of the show IMO and totally came out of left field. Also, seeing everyone freak over Discord's Bob Ross reference was a bit of a treat as well.