Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

On showing affection.

Widdershins

I, uhm, didn't really know where this would go, but I really wanted to know, and if I have to deal anymore with this I'll probably die from embarrassment but uh, here goes....

Is the whole "nomming" of the ear supposed to be sexual? The whole nibbling of the ear? B-because it seems to be an open thing, especially in fan art of MLP, yet I've also heard of it talked as if it were some sort of special thing for certain people. If, uhm, you know what I mean.

I-its not like I'm some sort of thirteen-year-old or anything. I've just never had much in the way of these sorts of experiences of open shows of affection.

And, uh, as a m-more important, but similar question...I-i-is...uh, Is a t-tummy rub considered sexual too? S-so I know not to talk of it, if it is?

B-because it sure as hell is for me...

I never really thought of it that way in this fandom. I just thought of it as like, you know, a way of showing you're a friend in this fandom, cause that type of character may do that in real life. But, yeah, it can be in that way in real life too, but in humans more likely.

• Brohoof 2

It depends on the context. In the context of cute MLP fanart, I'd say that no, both of those things are not sexual. In real life, it still depends on context, the person, and who's doing it to them.

• Brohoof 5

Belly rubs are not sexual the majority of the time, and ear nibbling and such is a portion of the time. So if I had to compare belly rubs might be 2% sexual, and the ear nomming closer to 25%? Give or take.

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't say ear nomming fanart is usually meant as sexual because I think that's something real horses do just to mess around and play with one another, kinda like how puppies play fight all the time.

Belly rubs, well... yeah, that sounds more sexual to me.

Please note: post pertains to real-world scenarios. Your fuzzy horse art is always a different situation.

Having a lovely romantic partner of my own, I can report that it all depends. Belly rubs- those are pretty situational. I don't think I've ever been in a position where she's been like, lying down, waiting for a belly rub, but I have given her one accompanied by a hug when she was sitting on my lap. It wasn't sexual. It could be, but it wasn't. 

The ear nibbling thing- that's different. I'm not sure if you've ever been unfortunate enough to try and clean your ear, then absentmindedly stuck your finger in your mouth, but if you have, then you'll know that ears don't generally taste very good, so a nibble wouldn't be too pleasant for anyone. Also, I know some people might enjoy it, but most humans aren't really keen on being bitten anywhere. It could be either way.

In short, belly rub is less likely to be sexual. Ear nibbling is likely to be out of someone's comfort zone, or be in some sexual category. Note: Your human may not conform to these standards. Please don't send it back to the manufacturer and ask for a refund if it doesn't.

Edited by \/
  • Brohoof 2

if i had a girlfriend id probably do it. idk about belly rubs.. ill save that for my dogs but tho i wouldnt do it in a sexual manner i dont have a problem with playfull ear noming  :smug: :/ also... this is my desktop background XD      :wub: so cute!

post-38841-0-25968400-1480222426_thumb.jpg

Is the whole "nomming" of the ear supposed to be sexual? The whole nibbling of the ear? B-because it seems to be an open thing, especially in fan art of MLP, yet I've also heard of it talked as if it were some sort of special thing for certain people. If, uhm, you know what I mean.

It's based around actual horse behavior, and artists trying to use reality and make it PG-13 level adorable. It is mutual affection in preferred grooming partners. There is a more typical focus on withers though, not ears. It is also not exclusively sexual in that context. 

And, uh, as a m-more important, but similar question...I-i-is...uh, Is a t-tummy rub considered sexual too? S-so I know not to talk of it, if it is?

Depends on culture, couple, and context. My wife would run our kids' stomachs when they were young so ... no. If she tried to rub my belly she would likely get the strangest look. 

Basically, the answer to these questions are almost always "depends on context". 

• Brohoof 2

depends on the person. 

from personal experience, ear nibbling can be both. it can just be a cute silly thing to do in a non sexual way, but it can go the other way. some people reeeeeally like their ears being fussed and nibbles on. 

in the fanart sense though, especially in this fandom and the furry fandom, its more of an animalistic thing to do, as animals when playing usually, will go for ears. watch kittens and puppies playing, its usually the ears that get nommed. 

Why do people type like they are stuttering ... kind of weird.

Well, uh, I make a habit of typing the way I would talk. So as to better convey the emotion & intent behind what I say. Perhaps it may come across a bit cloying, but felt it was necessary to alert you of how I wasn't exactly...calm or comfortable asking the question at the time. Besides, I have a personal policy that when I edit, I only add to, not delete anything I have already said. Much like talking in real life, what has been said, and how its said is already done & out there and serves as a sort of sign as to what to expect from future interaction with the person that said it.

But yeah, I c-can get that it varies due to situation...

If anyone tries to *noms your ear* or *rubs your belly*, you should let them know if they're barking up the wrong tree.  I will dispense internet *hugs* on occasion, but I've been in situations where people started doing things I wasn't even comfortable with in text-form.  So I said, "That thing yer doin'?  I don like that thing."  But then, I do belong to someone.

Anywho, Widders: CONTEXT.

Suggestive nomming (that possibly led to Flurryheart, just saying):

post-26550-0-32716400-1480355252_thumb.png

Non-suggestive nomming (just pretend it's an ear-nom - makes no difference in this context):

post-26550-0-67864300-1480355286_thumb.png

The intent is pretty clear in both.  Intent is key; this applies to any interaction you may have with someone, too.  If you don't know their intent - or they don't know yours - it can and probably should be clarified; preferably before things get weird.  Or you get arrested.  For internet ear-noms.  (That probably won't happen; I'm not up to speed on internet ear-noms laws and regulations).

• Brohoof 1

I think so, yeah. It's supposedly meant to seem as Intimate, as in nothing you would expect in a common interaction between two parties save for sexual \ affectionate manner. I think whether you see the sexuality in it depends on the piece itself

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

I dunno, I mean, I think it can depend really? Irl, I consider it an intimate show of affection between two individuals in an intimate relationship.

Internet ear noms are just silly and all in good fun in my eyes. I internet ear nom everybody. :please:

• Brohoof 2

So... like... the concensus is that ya ought to ask first for nums, hugs or most physical contact? I get that.

As an update of sorts though. Moved to a different culture since first post & I now work with a guy who greets me with tickles, pokes & th-the occasional headpat.

...and I come from a very contact starved family situation. My family never even waved unless it was a long goodbye; hugs felt awkward & suspicious when rarely they did happen.

So it feels so strongly to me that I squeal & writhe in uncontrolled happiness each time. Why he likely keeps at it, because he can reliably mess with me. Heh. I know I would make it weird if I was honest about how much I like it, but i’m not sure if it’s actions i can return.

I know there’s sorts out there who greet everybody with huge bearhugs, and that’s the person I would like to be someday. A Glomper!!

I guess it's all a matter of what does the job for the individuals in question. If it's something they do because they know it's enjoyable for their counterpart, that's affection and a way of expressing it. It may not be anything literally sexual, but it can be a peripheral aspect of a more intimate interaction. But obviously in other settings (such as the 'virtual noms' I've seen here on the forums) it may be intended, thus taken, in a far less intimate way. 

17 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

I dunno, I mean, I think it can depend really? Irl, I consider it an intimate show of affection between two individuals in an intimate relationship.

Internet ear noms are just silly and all in good fun in my eyes. I internet ear nom everybody. :please:

^Exactly this^ I couldn't agree more. 

• Brohoof 1