Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The comics will be tied to season 7

TheAnimatorOfficial

This doesn't say season 7 will be tied to the comics, this says the comics will be tied to season 7, there's a difference. This tells me these comics will relate to something to do with season 7, but that doesn't mean that season 7 will relate back to them. Like how the comics usually reference and work with the show, but the show usually doesn't work or reference the comics.

That said, this is certainly something new. Usually the comics take a long while to catch up to the show, but here they're having stuff to do with a season that's not even out yet. Interesting.

• Brohoof 7

Comic Chrysalis and Show Chrysalis have different plots and different level scale of villainy, Show Chrysalis is less brutal and may gain more sympathy in season 7 and Comic Chrysalis is more nasty and on the pure evil side, and they personally hate two different protagonists. Will two of them emerge or Show Chrysalis will over-write the comic one?

This doesn't say season 7 will be tied to the comics, this says the comics will be tied to season 7, there's a difference. This tells me these comics will relate to something to do with season 7, but that doesn't mean that season 7 will relate back to them. Like how the comics usually reference and work with the show, but the show usually doesn't work or reference the comics.

That said, this is certainly something new. Usually the comics take a long while to catch up to the show, but here they're having stuff to do with a season that's not even out yet. Interesting.

That's certainly a key difference worth pointing out. Its like saying the Star Wars films will be tied to the Expanded Universe, vs the EU being tied to the films.

Honestly I can't say for sure right now though. The comics have had mixed results with the audience in the past, and although the show seems to be dictating the narrative, the comics may indirectly influence it as well being tied for now. Maybe there's a small chance we'll see some comic characters like the deer on the upside... 

• Brohoof 1

I see this as the comics being canon to the show, something the fandom has been adamant to accept for a long time given the differences in storylines and characters among other things. I don't see season seven being tied to the comics but rather the other way around as stated in the article on EQD.

If I remember correctly, Issue 50 of the comics is supposed to "CHANGE MY LITTLE PONY FOREVER" OR some crap like that: its possible that is tied into the s7 plot or something, and what changes the comics "forever" is alluding to a big upcoming change in the show that they're going to do a prologue to.

Rather hope its not Starlight getting an EOH (Since she's the one who's supposed to be saving the day in the Plotline that 50 wraps up)

If I remember correctly, Issue 50 of the comics is supposed to "CHANGE MY LITTLE PONY FOREVER" OR some crap like that: its possible that is tied into the s7 plot or something, and what changes the comics "forever" is alluding to a big upcoming change in the show that they're going to do a prologue to.

Rather hope its not Starlight getting an EOH (Since she's the one who's supposed to be saving the day in the Plotline that 50 wraps up)

Goodness gracious. Isn’t Starwoobie contained to 48-50? Or is there indication that this corruption shall spread to the tie-in issues of 51 and beyond?

I am really not too surprised. The comic has always been tied to the show, just much further behind the actual seasons. I can't see the show itself being tired to the comics though, since a large amount of people who watch the cartoon don't bother with the comics at all and it would create so much confusion possibly.

S7 should be preparing to start by the time this arc hits since they announced Spring... so my guess is it will be a lead into the season but will still be a stand alone story that no one from the show will have to check out to be up to date on what is happening.

I am really not too surprised. The comic has always been tied to the show, just much further behind the actual seasons. I can't see the show itself being tired to the comics though, since a large amount of people who watch the cartoon don't bother with the comics at all and it would create so much confusion possibly.

S7 should be preparing to start by the time this arc hits since they announced Spring... so my guess is it will be a lead into the season but will still be a stand alone story that no one from the show will have to check out to be up to date on what is happening.

I hope that's the case. I really want the Season 7 premiere to close the door on leftover events from To Where and Back Again without the events from the current story arc in the comics and the one in upcoming issues 51-53 causing more questions to pop up and cause more confusion instead of resolution before Season 7 even gets started this Spring, especially regarding the Royal Family, Mane Six, and Starlight as well.

• Brohoof 1

I hope that's the case. I really want the Season 7 premiere to close the door on leftover events from To Where and Back Again without the events from the current story arc in the comics and the one in upcoming issues 51-53 causing more questions to pop up and cause more confusion instead of resolution before Season 7 even gets started this Spring, especially regarding the Royal Family, Mane Six, and Starlight as well.

My first thought was that comics would take place in some way BETWEEN S6 & 7... sort of to answer those questions. The problem is, that would be tying into S6 more than anything, and the quote specifically references S7 itself... so to be honest I am a bit unsure... the story-line should start and run though February - April 2017, and we have yet to get a start date on S7 except sometime in Spring (my guess March or April).

It is hard for the comic to tie into an ongoing season that has yet to start, and would only work if it was sort of a lead in to the start of the season itself. And it has to be stand alone since so many just don't follow both. It would piss off so may viewers to tune into the premier (or any episode) to find an ongoing story that they had to go pick up an issue of the comic book to make sense of what the hell is happening.

It might be a bridge still between the two seasons to delve into some of those questions that many have leftover from S6. Really we will just have to wait and see as we get more information. We may get a few more clues this month since comic plots are hinted at a couple months in advance usually.

• Brohoof 1

I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE RIGHT NOW.

Not sure how I feel about this, due to a conglomeration of the comics sucking, S6 sucking, and skepticism towards S7

We'll see

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 1

My first thought was that comics would take place in some way BETWEEN S6 & 7... sort of to answer those questions. The problem is, that would be tying into S6 more than anything, and the quote specifically references S7 itself... so to be honest I am a bit unsure... the story-line should start and run though February - April 2017, and we have yet to get a start date on S7 except sometime in Spring (my guess March or April).

It is hard for the comic to tie into an ongoing season that has yet to start, and would only work if it was sort of a lead in to the start of the season itself. And it has to be stand alone since so many just don't follow both. It would piss off so may viewers to tune into the premier (or any episode) to find an ongoing story that they had to go pick up an issue of the comic book to make sense of what the hell is happening.

It might be a bridge still between the two seasons to delve into some of those questions that many have leftover from S6. Really we will just have to wait and see as we get more information. We may get a few more clues this month since comic plots are hinted at a couple months in advance usually.

Considering that information, I'm inclined to agree with you on that. Until we get more information regarding main comic series issues 51-53, not much we can speculate on regarding what will happen in those comics to tie into Season 7, and whether or not it will bring some closure to the Season 6 finale as well. We'll have to wait until more information becomes available, then we'll know what to anticipate regarding the comics, then the debut of Season 7 afterwards.

Not sure how I feel about this, due to a conglomeration of the comics sucking, S6 sucking, and skepticism towards S7

We'll see

Honestly, I think it will only tie into the comics in the same way the EQG prolgoue "tied into" EQG: I.E., they might flesh out stuff in a side canon way, referencing the show and events to come, but nothing that happens in the comics will have any affect on whats to come.

Goodness gracious. Isn’t Starwoobie contained to 48-50? Or is there indication that this corruption shall spread to the tie-in issues of 51 and beyond?

No way to know, but I wouldn't be surprised if starlight showed up just as much in the future, given how she's getting so many appearances in the comics.

Sadly.

After a quick look on that cover i already know that this mysterious evil pony will take Celestia's ability to raise the sun and she can't do jack shit about it.

Huzzah!

My guess is that either the villain of the comic story arc will either be the villain of season 7 or someone who works for the villain (if the former then the mane six won't actually get to interact with them while solving the problem), or season 7's theme will be about visiting different time periods the same way previous seasons were about exploring Equestria and the premiere introduces some alternate way to travel back in time and maybe something or someone is causing discrepancies at various points in time.

• 4 weeks later...

Now does this mean the comics THEMSELVES are tying into the cartoon?  Or does that mean we're going to see things from the comics in the cartoon?  Or is this fake (I seriously hope not)?

I'm fine with either of the first two.  I've actually been hoping they'd do something like this, because the comics often have a notably darker tone than the cartoon.  So putting elements from them directly into the show would be a breath of fresh air for the series, especially for fans that might not have access to the comics.

I just hope they don't have it turn out to be a dream or a play or story that a character is reading, or something stupid like that.

Edited by SBaby

Now does this mean the comics THEMSELVES are tying into the cartoon?  Or does that mean we're going to see things from the comics in the cartoon?  Or is this fake (I seriously hope not)?

I'm fine with either of the first two.  I've actually been hoping they'd do something like this, because the comics often have a notably darker tone than the cartoon.  So putting elements from them directly into the show would be a breath of fresh air for the series, especially for fans that might not have access to the comics.

Like I said, just two episodes of the season. Don't forget, there's a length of 32 pages in each comic book.

Like I said, just two episodes of the season. Don't forget, there's a length of 32 pages in each comic book.

Yeah, and not helped by the fact that at least one arc I did get a chance to read (that featured Chrysalis SPLATTERING A KITTEN AGAINST THE WALL, no less) was four parts long.  So I can definitely see where time constraints could impact any attempt to directly connect the two mediums (for anyone that might be confused here, a general rule for direct comic adaptations is 1 page normally equals 1 minute of animation, so you can probably see the problem building, when you realize the average episode of FiM is about 21 to 22 minutes, including opening and ending).

Edited by SBaby

Well if it's Starlight getting an Element of Harmony, I strongly doubt there's going to be a seventh element! In all things considered, she could be Twilight's element successor, just like Twilight being Celestia's! 

Well if it's Starlight getting an Element of Harmony, I strongly doubt there's going to be a seventh element! In all things considered, she could be Twilight's element successor, just like Twilight being Celestia's! 

It's probably going to tie into Season 7, and possibly even the movie, since Hasbro has a habit of putting in huge status quo changes when they make motion pictures based on existing cartoons.  So I could definitely see the movie having something to do with it too.