Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler How mad would you if the Apple parents turned out to be alive?

ggg-2

How mad would you if the Apple parents turned out to be alive?  

79 users have voted

1. 1. How mad would you if the Apple parents turned out to be alive?

• not mad at all
    • sort of mad
    • angry
    • FURIOUS

Let's see...

They weren't around when Applejack was a blank flank

They weren't around when Apple Bloom was born

They've been gone nearly 30 years by the time of Season 6, which is inexcusable for anyone calling themself a parent

I'm pretty sure they're deader than ditch water 

30 years, wat. How old do you think Applejack is? O_o

Or they're horrible people for wanting her parents to be dead (which is what they're telling me by being mad about it).  Either way ridiculous, but this topic really is bringing out an ugly side of the fandom. 

Since when?  We've seen the Cutie Mark Crusaders go to different places on their own accord, and nobody had a problem with them doing that.  Hell, Princess Celestia basically took CUSTODY of Twilight when she was a filly and nobody had a problem with that either.  So clearly, the rules in Equestria are different from our world.

Don't forget Cheese Sandwich, who left Manehattan to become a super duper party planner... as a pint-sized colt.

Im sure I'd be like many others and think/say "Well, didn't see that coming."

I would like for them to be alive, but make it so they 'come back' on a family day type of episode like Family Appreciation Day, or whatever it was called.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Don't forget Cheese Sandwich, who left Manehattan to become a super duper party planner... as a pint-sized colt.

I actually completely forgot about that one. 

Mind you, I have nothing against concepts like shows dealing with death and more mature subject matter.  But I just don't think it's something that people should wish on the characters.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 1

It would suck. Not because I personally wanted her parents to be dead, but because it was practically canon to the fandom. So many good stories are written about her not having parents, and if they reveal that she had parents all along it will now have to be considered an alternate universe in order for pics like those to be true. It's happened with several things in the fandom. Usually about families.

If they include them, then oh well. The show will still continue and people will still be themselves in the show whether they're dead or not.

Or they're horrible people for wanting her parents to be dead (which is what they're telling me by being mad about it).  Either way ridiculous, but this topic really is bringing out an ugly side of the fandom.

We're talking about ficitional characters, not real ones. Yes, wishing death upon someone is not nice. But if we want parts of stories to make sense, it has to be this way,

I think them just coming back all of a sudden would make them bad parents. Why did they just abondon them? Does Applebloom even recognize them?

The fandom is fine. We're just having a friendly debate and nothing more. No need to assume that we're some sort of monsters, just because we have ideas for certain story elements.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

We're talking about ficitional characters, not real ones. Yes, wishing death upon someone is not nice. But if we want parts of stories to make sense, it has to be this way,

I think them just coming back all of a sudden would make them bad parents. Why did they just abondon them? Does Applebloom even recognize them?

The fandom is fine. We're just having a friendly debate and nothing more. No need to assume that we're some sort of monsters, just because we have ideas for certain story elements.

I have nothing against concepts like dealing with death or more mature subject matter (such as the idea of needing to protect Twilight now that she's a Princess, which is only touched on one time in the Season 4 premiere, but an idea that I would find interesting to bring up again in the show).  In fact, one of my main criticisms of the dub of Pokémon is their aversion to using the 'd'-word to describe when a character or Pokémon dies, even though it happens quite frequently in the series.  And if it turned out that they were indeed dead, I wouldn't have a big problem with it, from a narrative standpoint.

No, what I have a problem with is the attitude people have when they start acting like they WANT characters to be dead.  Not only is it just wrong given the kind of show this is, but there are countless narrative reasons they might keep the characters alive.

They might indeed be bad parents as you say (we've seen bad parents already in the show).  But they could also just be missing with everyone assuming they're dead, or maybe they had to leave because of something that would endanger their kids if they stayed.  Or maybe they were kidnapped.  In fact, there was a 'missing parents' plotline in a show from the 90s that was so effective, it actually started an entire movement to continue the show because fans wanted resolution for that plotline, and that movement is still going on to this very day. 

But the point is, each idea I just gave has been used in widely popular cartoons, sitcoms and TV shows, and all of them were extremely well-received.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 1

I have nothing against concepts like dealing with death or more mature subject matter (such as the idea of needing to protect Twilight now that she's a Princess, which is only touched on one time in the Season 4 premiere, but an idea that I would find interesting to bring up again in the show).  In fact, one of my main criticisms of the dub of Pokémon is their aversion to using the 'd'-word to describe when a character or Pokémon dies, even though it happens quite frequently in the series.  And if it turned out that they were indeed dead, I wouldn't have a big problem with it.

No, what I have a problem with is the attitude people have when they start acting like they WANT characters to be dead.  Not only is it just wrong given the kind of show this is, but there are countless narrative reasons they might keep the characters alive.

They might indeed be bad parents as you say (we've seen bad parents already in the show).  But they could also just be missing with everyone assuming they're dead, or maybe they had to leave because of something that would endanger their kids if they stayed.  Or maybe they were kidnapped.  In fact, the missing parents plotline in its respective show was so effective in fact that it actually started an entire movement to continue the show because fans wanted resolution for that plotline, and that movement is still going on to this very day. 

But the point is, each idea I just gave has been used in widely popular cartoons, sitcoms and TV shows, and all of them were extremely well-received.

Yes, we HAVE seen bad parents on MLP. The contrast is that the Apple family is by far the closest and most tightly knit family in the entire show, with a strong vibe of togetherness. If Bright Mac and Pear Butter turned out to be deadbeats, that message of familial togetherness crumbles.

• Brohoof 2

I wouldnt be THAT mad to be honest, but I would be a bit dissapointed since I already pictured they're family like that... but they said they were going to show AJ's parents in the seasons to come so I guess we'll just have to see how it turns out 

(edited)

Yes, we HAVE seen bad parents on MLP. The contrast is that the Apple family is by far the closest and most tightly knit family in the entire show, with a strong vibe of togetherness. If Bright Mac and Pear Butter turned out to be deadbeats, that message of familial togetherness crumbles.

And that would make them question everything they ever knew.  It would be great character development for them.  But that's the point.  You can have great character development without killing characters off.

Didn't Lauren Faust even confirm that they died when their children were very young?

Originally they were supposed to have died offscreen when Applejack and Apple Bloom were younger.  But Lauren Faust also said later on that many of her ideas were changed and excised after she left the production team (for instance, Twilight was originally intended to become a Princess, but she wasn't originally going to become an Alicorn).  So we don't currently know if that plotline remains intact of not.  If we did know, there would be no point in this topic being here.

As for the shooting stars, it might symbolize them, or it could reflect Applejack and Apple Bloom both making a wish (which also makes sense, given the nature of the franchise).

Edited by SBaby

(edited)

Didn't Lauren Faust even confirm that they died when their children were very young? And this scene was supposed to symbolize them?

sig-4825719.Applejack_Shooting_Stars_S3E

No, actually. Quoting myself from another thing (and if you like I can try to dig up the exact Faust quote; I've done it before)

Applejack's parents have actually never been confirmed canonically dead. Faust just said she would have *LIKED* for them to be dead, but that it would've likely be deemed too dark for a kids' show, so she and the crew discussed them being traveling salesponies or explorers instead. Faust went on to say it's undefined where they are until someone decides to do something with them.

(Also, from what Faust said, the meta reason for their parents being absent was because she wanted to include Granny but didn't want to ruin the small tight family dynamic - The way she tells it, it sounds like she only wanted to say "they're dead" because it was a clean simple answer for their absence that avoided further complication)

(I mean, she literally said "I would've simply liked to say they're dead")

(Also nitpicking but she never specified when they would have died, if they were indeed to be dead)

As for the shooting stars, Faust had left the show by that time, so had nothing to do with that episode. When the storyboarder for the episode was asked on Twitter if they represented AJ's parents, the storyboarder was basically like "Yeah"... without elaborating. And the asker never asked if they were dead, just if the stars represented them... So the storyboarder basically told us nothing.  >_>

Edited by Daring_Do
  • Brohoof 2

Probably in her late twenties, like most of the Mane 6, who are not in school, have their own living space, apparently earn enough to live comfortably and sometimes have deluded fantasies about romance that will never come to pass because the fandom would implode

There are a lot of hints through the series that suggest that they're probably dead, and I think that's the most logical conclusion. But if the writers pull off a good reason for why they are absent for so long and it turns out to be a nice and meaningfull story that adds to the characters development, I see no reason to be mad.

Well, they need to come with hard excuses and a fair backstory why they weren't there for 6 seasons. Maybe they had abanded Apple Jack and AJ is still angry at them.

(edited)

Probably in her late twenties, like most of the Mane 6, who are not in school, have their own living space, apparently earn enough to live comfortably and sometimes have deluded fantasies about romance that will never come to pass because the fandom would implode

Big Jim said on Twitter they're not that old. And Twilight *was* in school until very recently.

Edited by Daring_Do

(edited)

Didn't Lauren Faust even confirm that they died when their children were very young? And this scene was supposed to symbolize them?

sig-4825719.Applejack_Shooting_Stars_S3E

Someone who currently work for Storyboard had an interview with fans, they ask "Are Applejack Parents Dead?", and she answered bluntly without any implication: YES.

(Edited)

Eh, i forgot, one person ask a following question : HOW DID THEY DIE?

"I m sure one day you WILL find out, the story of AJ parents. But its a SPOILERS.

I will be furious if everything she said are freaking lies.

Edited by Lambdadelta

(edited)

Big Jim said on Twitter they're not that old. And Twilight *was* in school until very recently.

Twilight was basically in Magic College and I peg her as one of the younger Mane 6, if not the youngest

I'm just going with what makes sense to me

Edited by The Nth Doctor

(edited)

Someone who currently work for Storyboard had an interview with fans, they ask "Are Applejack Parents Dead?", and she answered bluntly without any implication: YES

A few questions.

First, what was this person's name?  If there was an interview, they would know who it is they were interviewing.

Second, when was this interview presumably done?  Was it recent, or was it pre-Season 3?

And finally, where is the link to it?

If the source you got this from can't answer those questions, they're probably lying to you.

Why would anyone be mad that a cartoon characters parents will still alive, you WANT someones parents to be dead (even if they are fictional)? That is pretty sick to be honest.

Pretty much this.  But then again, this is the fandom that went off the deep end when they learned that a baby was going to get screen time in the Season 6 premiere.  So this is what I've come to expect.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 1

No I would not be mad.. but i would find it rather stupid, confusing and pretty ridiculous plot wise. As some have said here and in another thread, It has been built up in the show that they are deceased, to pull a "gotcha!" now would be very nonsensical.

• Brohoof 2

First, what was this person's name?  If there was an interview, they would know who it is they were interviewing.   Second, when was this interview presumably done?  Was it recent, or was it pre-Season 3?   And finally, where is the link to it?   If the source you got this from can't answer those questions, they're probably lying to you.

1. Kora Kosicka

2. Recent.

3. https://www.equestriadaily.com/2016/09/character-designer-kora-kosicka-rainbow.html

Happy now?

you WANT someones parents to be dead (even if they are fictional)? That is pretty sick to be honest. 

Storytelling is more important than character sake, characters sometimes have to die to serve story narration. 

Yeah, I just wish you would've linked to it earlier.  Saying 'Yeah, I heard from someone that someone else told them *insert rumor here*' isn't exactly convincing.  But if it had been linked to before, that would have resolved the issue.

That said, nothing I've said is really different.  If that was the plan (and if it indeed still IS the plan; it's one thing to SAY it, and it's another thing to DO it; reference Tetsuya Nomura), then that's a narrative decision.  But wishing for it to happen is still in pretty bad taste (not that it SURPRISES me that people in this fandom have this attitude; as I said, I've come to expect as much).

Storytelling is more important than character sake, characters sometimes have to die to serve story narration.

It's one thing to have them die for narrative reasons.  Hell, one of my fanfics has their parents dead, and there's development for Applejack and Apple Bloom that becomes a major plot point later on.  If it turned out that they weren't dead, I'd have to change that.  A mild inconvenience, but I'd be willing to do it, just like I was willing to change Twilight into an Alicorn in the very same fic because of plot advancements in the show.  But it's another thing to WANT them to be dead, just because you'll personally be mad if they aren't (as if they somehow did something unforgivable by just...  living). 

Don't get me wrong.  The fanbase is by in large still great, but I'm starting to get the feeling that this will be the reaction some people have if their deaths are ever officially confirmed in the show.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 1

Don't get me wrong.  The fanbase is by in large still great, but I'm starting to get the feeling that this will be the reaction some people have if their deaths are ever officially confirmed in the show.

I have to write their name on that notebook 150px-Death_Note,_Book.svg.png to make sure they are 100% dead :love:  lol

Yeah, i look like an asshole right now... :wacko:  but, there are enough controversies (Changeling design, Starlight, Twilicorn etc) that cause many havocs in the fandom, i dont want another one, for the sake of the show and fandom, AJ parents need to die... Yeah, that horrible thing to say, but choose between happy reunion with the long lost one and the peace in the fandom, i have to choose the latter.  :orly: