Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler How mad would you if the Apple parents turned out to be alive?

ggg-2

How mad would you if the Apple parents turned out to be alive?  

79 users have voted

1. 1. How mad would you if the Apple parents turned out to be alive?

• not mad at all
    • sort of mad
    • angry
    • FURIOUS

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if her parents did turn out to be alive. Personally I'd rather the weren't alive, grim as that sounds, but since hasbro apparently has this thing about characters being "dead" dead, if they were to suddenly show up alive, it wouldn't phase me.

Unfortunately from a story standpoint this change doesn't make sense. The apple family has been written as a fam of 4 for six seasons so far, with minimal mentions of the parents, they were mostly just glossed over when the did come up. So to bring them up no is gonna take some 'splaining to do. I'm hoping it isn't some shallow excuse that there were on another farm or smth.

I'm still holding out for them to be flashbacks only.

If they are dead, i will give that ep an 10+ no matter what, if they are alive, F$&K that episode, i will screw it hard.

AJ parents are only characters in 2016-2017 that i want them die so BADLY... i dont know what wrong with me...

• Brohoof 1

There's just so much emotion in this topic that it hurts to even think about it.

Why would people want Applejack's parents to be dead? That's just about the darkest most cold hearted wish I've ever heard out of any fanbase ever.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

There's just so much emotion in this topic that it hurts to even think about it.

Why would people want Applejack's parents to be dead? That's just about the darkest most cold hearted wish I've ever heard out of any fanbase ever.

Well the explanations for why they were barely mentioned during the first 6 seasons would be along the lines of either them being dead, or Applejack's parents being deadbeats who selfishly abandoned their own children, that in turn is arguably an even darker scenario.

I would rather them be dead because given how very little the show has mentioned them in general, and how they were basically never around for events in their children's lives that they honestly should have been for if they were alive, such as raising Apple Bloom, it would be much easier to portray them in a positive light if they were to be dead, than it would be if they randomly showed up out of the blue one day alive, despite never even bothering to contact their immediate family for 6 whole seasons and an indeterminate amount of years.

Which in turn would like I said before make them look like terrible parents.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 1

I wouldn't be mad at all if it turned out that they have been alive this entire time, but I'd like to see the writers come up with a good explanation as to the mystery behind their absense.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

OR... what if this turned into a Hey Arnold type of scenario and AJ's parents were just lost while exploring? I'd live with that! :3 I mean everyone seems so turned on of them being passed away - they'd rather have their theories correct than a couple of ponies not dying! :P

Edited by MegaSean45
  • Brohoof 1

I wouldn't be mad if the Apple parents were alive, but I would feel disappointed in a way. We haven't seen them at all for six seasons. Some episodes that focused on the Apple family, such as The Apple Family Reunion, Crusaders of the Lost Mark and Where the Apple Lies, the parents weren't there. When Applejack said to her sister on if their parents were here, after Applebloom gained her mark, it made sense to believe that their parents might have passed away. If they are alive, it would be nice to have a good and believable explanation, as to why they were gone for such a long time. 

• Brohoof 1

The way the spoiler was phrased, this is a flashback episode. I doubt they would have structured it as a flashback if they were alive. The writers probably decided flashing back is the only way they logically can include them, and the story with it sprang forth from that basis.

Judging from the news article about AJ's parents, there's no doubt that it'll probably be a flashback (though the way one of the sentences is constructed does seem to make some people misread, as I've seen on an offsite rant telling about how AJ's parents are actually alive even though the article mentions that it's just a flashback).

If they do turn out to be alive though... Yeah, I'm not sure if I'd be mad, or disappointed, or any negative emotion, really. I never really cared for AJ's parents to be honest. I'd only be pissed if they gave a half-baked explanation for their absence; if they, for example, tell that AJ's parents ended up unexpectedly getting into a serious pickle that resulted in their long-term absence and the Apple family presuming them dead, I'd buy it as long as it's executed well. Or better yet - wait for it - reveal them to actually be Changelings (maybe Chrysalis', maybe someone else's) that managed to grasp a picture of the real and truly dead parents who tricked ponies (and by extension us viewers) so they could get close and eat away at their enemies from within without anypony knowing.

Let's see...

They weren't around when Applejack was a blank flank

They weren't around when Apple Bloom was born

They've been gone nearly 30 years by the time of Season 6, which is inexcusable for anyone calling themself a parent

I'm pretty sure they're deader than ditch water 

Well the explanations for why they were barely mentioned during the first 6 seasons would be along the lines of either them being dead, or Applejack's parents being deadbeats who selfishly abandoned their own children, that in turn is arguably an even darker scenario.

I would rather them be dead because given how very little the show has mentioned them in general, and how they were basically never around for events in their children's lives that they honestly should have been for if they were alive, such as raising Apple Bloom, it would be much easier to portray them in a positive light if they were to be dead, than it would be if they randomly showed up out of the blue one day alive, despite never even bothering to contact their immediate family for 6 whole seasons and an indeterminate amount of years.

Which in turn would like I said before make them look like terrible parents.

Well I dunno. They weren't even around in Applejack's flashback in Where the Apple Lies, a flashback that took place before Applebloom was even born. Considering Applebloom wasn't born yet, they were obviously alive and away doing something important.

• Brohoof 2

they don't want their precious headcanoons ruined
  • Brohoof 1

Well I dunno. They weren't even around in Applejack's flashback in Where the Apple Lies, a flashback that took place before Applebloom was even born. Considering Applebloom wasn't born yet, they were obviously alive and away doing something important.

According to Big Jim, they were on a "couples' vacation"

I would be upset. There's no excuse for parents to be written in out of the blue. No matter what they do, the apple parents are a problem that can't be dealt with easily.

According to Big Jim, they were on a "couples' vacation"

Even that doesn't make sense. Young Applejack would need her parent's permission to move if they were still alive.

(edited)

they don't want their precious headcanoons ruined

Or they're horrible people for wanting her parents to be dead (which is what they're telling me by being mad about it).  Either way ridiculous, but this topic really is bringing out an ugly side of the fandom. 

Young Applejack would need her parent's permission to move if they were still alive.

Since when?  We've seen the Cutie Mark Crusaders go to different places on their own accord, and nobody had a problem with them doing that.  Hell, Princess Celestia basically took CUSTODY of Twilight when she was a filly and nobody had a problem with that either.  So clearly, the rules in Equestria are different from our world.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 2

Mad? No, it wouldn't be superb continuity, but they could surely find a reason in the depths of their creativity. The writers of the show are not idiots. The human mind can generate some intriguing situations. If they were garbage parents for example- that might work.

Personally, I've never really cared for Applejack and I CERTAINLY have never cared for her family. I like to focus on the show's overall lore, rather than getting interested by the smaller details.

(edited)
I would be upset. There's no excuse for parents to be written in out of the blue. No matter what they do, the apple parents are a problem that can't be dealt with easily.

The only ultimate excuse : Amnesia  :orly: They lost their memory in the accident, that why they cant comeback, it is the only solution i can think of. 

Afterall, the audience want satisfactory story structure, well, you know, to make a story you have to put the character on the tree and throw a rock at them, right??? AJ parents are alive look nice, her freaking long lost parents are ALIVE, why cant we be happy for them? Because they will devalue the whole shooting stars scene, Crusader of the Lost Mark and create a ton of plot hole, unless they use "amnesia" card like i said above, there are no way they can abaddon their child without visit them at least for 1 scene in the whole 6 seasons.

We are not characters, we are audience so we demand good story telling above character's sake. In shorts, AJ parents need to die for the greater good (storytelling). 

If they can somehow pull it off, i will delete every negative comments i gave about that upcoming episode (i will try to find them :orly: ), otherwise.......  :orly:

Edited by Lambdadelta

IMO, it's all in how they explain their absence for the last six years.  If the writers have a good explanation that works in-story and makes sense, I wouldn't have a problem with it.  Coming out of the blue, I'd be unhappy.

The Apples are an industrious clan! Perhaps the parents operate another farm? Or maybe they are supervisors of several different farms! It's a bit strange that we haven't heard from them in all this time, but I think it could be explained as correspondence happening off-screen, or perhaps as the Apple's parents just really want their kids to prove how responsible they are.

• Brohoof 1