Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How is it possible for Twilight to read and stay in shape?

VandreStokk

I have no problems if its school related, i think of school more as work than for fun. But for me reading and walking at the same time doesn't work for me, i get incredibly lazy if i want to read for fun compared to playing video games because my eyes are glued to the screen and you can just save and pause the game. With books its like a determination that you have to read so and so many pages before you can do anything else.

I just can't deal with being a bookworm and being active, its purely impossible for me. So how do bookworms manage to be in shape while reading for fun? That takes some massive skill.

Some of Twilight's magic seems to be quite physically taxing.

SafariScreenSnapz0021.jpg

As much magic as she uses might keep her in decent physical shape.  Then there is this proclivity...

1f7eaf76e3c4b3ee424d5c854ef244c4.jpg

She seems to be a pony in motion a lot.  When she thinks or stresses she walks... fast even.

• Brohoof 1

Some of Twilight's magic seems to be quite physically taxing.

sig-4834311.SafariScreenSnapz0021.jpg

As much magic as she uses might keep her in decent physical shape.  Then there is this proclivity...

sig-4834311.1f7eaf76e3c4b3ee424d5c854ef2

She seems to be a pony in motion a lot.  When she thinks or stresses she walks... fast even.

She can evidently out-powerwalk even Vince McMahon:

biDFHU0.gif

#1 Twilight doesn't eat very much

#2 Celestia often has Twilight running all over Equestria doing her bidding

#3 Reading and continously performing activities that require large mental acuity (like spellcasting for example) require lots of carbohydrates. An excess of carbohydrates is generally what will make people/ ponies gain weight. I wouldn't be surprised if Twilight is the type of person to lock herself in her room and read for like 15 hours straight without any food whatsoever. 

#4 Pretty much every pony has the same body type, therefore we can assume gaining/ losing weight in ponyland is considerably more difficult than in our world. Bulk Biceps must have been training for like 20+ years to get a physique like that :o Even with a big strong pony like Big Macintosh, you see very little muscular development, despite working on the farm for countless years. 

Basically, if you see a pony with a different body type than usual, you can assume either they simply have a different body type than the "normal" pony for some plot related reason OR they have done something drastic to change their appearance.

Edited by ChocolateCrane

How staying in shape and reading is too hard? I read mostly at meal times and before sleeping for entertaiment and studying while normal hours, there is still plenty of exercise time in the afternoon. You can lisen to audiobooks while running for example too.

Twiligh walks and or flies everywhere have to remember which is exercise. With magic using being taxing that is probably enough for her, she does not need to be an athlete.

• Brohoof 2

Maybe magic looses weight? It has to require energy, which is provided by fat. Also, don't forget they are vegan ponies

She runs around alot in some of the episodes.

You have to remember.  There are very few cars in Equestria and no phones. Except in Super Speedy ...6000, ICR seeing any even in Manehatten.  You want to talk to AJ or Zecora?  You walk there & back + carry Spike (or slow to his pace).  Buy something? You walk to the store & carry your purchases when you walk back. 

I daresay that, by Ponyville standards, Twilight is pretty sedentary but I'd bet she walks 10+ miles a day, much of it carrying something (Of course, I'd  bet AJ or Pinkie covers 20+ miles) 

Twilight paces a lot when she thinks which is all the time it's just like me she may read often but she must think about what she had learned so she walks often while thinking and likely talking to herself thus keeping in shape similar to how I do nothing gets the brain thinking like a good walk

Considering that she was able to set a decent pace at the annual running of the leaves, walk through the Everfree Forest and back to Ponyville several times in various episodes, outrun Sombra in harsh weather conditions, outrun a hungry Hydra, match pace with Sunset Shimmer as she was trying to get her crown back.... I'd say she's clearly getting enough exercise in.

Isn't reading just, like, a major pastime of hers that she does only when she isn't in danger or trying to save others from danger?

Seems to me like her life was pretty lax at first, but now it's more taxing, especially on her body.

And anyway, have you ever seen a fat horse before?

The main point is balancing moderate exercise with study and self time is not difficult and this is really only something you have to worry about in the winter months, i take two walks a day and exercise and (not currently) but balance this with a job and still spend the other half of that time covering my bases, but with twilight, we know she spends time walking and flying and we arent even taking into account how physically taxing sage magic is and its assumed thats the basis for all cartoon magic for the most part

• Brohoof 2

The main point is balancing moderate exercise with study and self time is not difficult and this is really only something you have to worry about in the winter months, i take two walks a day and exercise and (not currently) but balance this with a job and still spend the other half of that time covering my bases, but with twilight, we know she spends time walking and flying and we arent even taking into account how physically taxing sage magic is and its assumed thats the basis for all cartoon magic for the most part

They have depicted that spells can be very difficult and exhausting to perform. When Twilight was lifting the Ursa Minor, her hooves dug into the ground under the intense effort. 

Twilight doesn't spend all of her time reading books and doing research. She still goes on many adventures--not as many as she used to before ascending to alicorn status--and has kept up her condition by running, flying, and having to deal with problems at a pretty consistent pace. Compared to other ponies, Twilight probably could do with some exercising but I think she holds her own without much trouble.

As people have said, some of Twilight's spells, at least in early episodes, seemed to be physically taxing. Perhaps certain spells come with a side effect of burning excess calories.

Some people are really like that.

I did my BA/MA at the same time.
Never worked out.

Just walked around and did normal stuff.

And I was still in really good shape.

I went back to Martial arts after not doing them for four years. Had better Stamina then most of the regulars...

A lot of it depends on life style and diet.

Maybe Twilight stands/figits/walks a lot and eats well.

One other thing should be considered.....

Twilight is a equine....

Horses can stand around all day and do nothing but chew and still be in great shape.

Grew up on a horse farm and our best horse was a little lazy filly and actually liked to lay down and take naps. (That's SUPER weird for a horse) But she was light a spitfire in margarine when she was running.

Edited by blackstarraven

Because she is a cartoon character, they will always stay in shape.

Nah dude... that's to Meta.

As far as I can tell the entire point of the fandom is to overthink things that the creators clearly didn't think at all about... (In a fun way... Most of the time)

• Brohoof 2

Nah dude... that's to Meta.

As far as I can tell the entire point of the fandom is to overthink things that the creators clearly didn't think at all about... (In a fun way... Most of the time)

I know, I'm just stating the obvious.xp

But in serious, she probably use all that energy goes to her brain since she consistently thinking   like L from death note. I mean look at him, he eats sweet everyday and all he does is sit and still keep his shape.  But he thinks alot, so all energy goes to his brain and not to his whatnot. 

Twilight seems to have plenty to keep her busy, so she's not exactly a couch pony all day every day. She also appears to eat well, rather that put away the cupcakes like Pinkie Pie, so that helps.

Scheduled workouts, probably. She reads a lot about how exercise is necessary to health, so she plans fitness into her routine.

Having to save Equestria semi-frequently probably helps a lot too.

• Brohoof 2