Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would it benefit Hasbro to treat their pony franchise like GameFreak does?

ManaMinori

Pokemon very often makes remakes of their generation main series, gives plenty of attention to previous generations in big milestone anniversaries, events, and the like, and reboots/ retellings of their previous generations in series/ shorts form. On the other hand....Hasbro doesn't, as far as MLP is concerned. Could Hasbro benefit from Mimikyu'ing Game Freak/ Nintendo's franchise?

• Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, FizzyGreen said:

If that means to bring back things from G1-3, i guess they could benefit.

anything you'd like to see done with them, in particular?

5 hours ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

anything you'd like to see done with them, in particular?

Haven't watched it, but i heard rough plots about things like the movies. Something like that. I dunno.

• 3 weeks later...

I think they could to be honest I would love to see gen 1-3 figures sold back in stores and would also enjoy seeing the movies and shows aired on t.v don't get me wrong generation 4 is nice and all, but I prefer the older generations so it would just be nice to see them come back with the older generations.

(edited)

Sure, I'm down with more stuff from being G1-3 being introduced into FiM. Tirek is probably one of my favourite examples of this.

I also like the idea of a My Little Pony episode were the G1, G2 and G3 ponies end up in the world FiM through a portal or something. I think it would be really interesting to see how the current cast respond to the older generations of My Little Pony.

g4_meets_g3_5__rainbow_dash_by_epicoswal

I can't imagine Rainbow Dash being too happy about her old self.

Edited by Tiny Hoofs
  • Brohoof 1

The thing is that the My Little Pony franchise is centered around the toyline, not the animations. And Hasbro has called back to G1 in a few ways. Obviously, Apple Jack is a pony that originated from G1. Also, during G3 they rereleased some G1 ponies for the 25th anniversary, and right now they're doing an annual ornament set which features different G1 ponies each year.

• Brohoof 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 6/25/2017 at 12:58 AM, Tiny Hoofs said:

Sure, I'm down with more stuff from being G1-3 being introduced into FiM. Tirek is probably one of my favourite examples of this.

I also like the idea of a My Little Pony episode were the G1, G2 and G3 ponies end up in the world FiM through a portal or something. I think it would be really interesting to see how the current cast respond to the older generations of My Little Pony.

g4_meets_g3_5__rainbow_dash_by_epicoswal

I can't imagine Rainbow Dash being too happy about her old self.

Great-Grandma?

I often imagine the previous generations as a distant relatives to the new generation of ponies

On 6/25/2017 at 10:18 AM, Envy said:

The thing is that the My Little Pony franchise is centered around the toyline, not the animations. And Hasbro has called back to G1 in a few ways. Obviously, Apple Jack is a pony that originated from G1. Also, during G3 they rereleased some G1 ponies for the 25th anniversary, and right now they're doing an annual ornament set which features different G1 ponies each year.

As Envy explained, MLP is more about the toyline, or at least before G4 there was a collector community that already existed.

Hasbro has already licensed, G1's ponies are being reproduced by a company called basic fun. Also a lot of G4 centered fans don't circle the G1 fandom or groups but for many years the G1 Pony Fair convention had connections with Hasbro. 

There are also collectors who have connections with original G1 artists and people who worked for Hasbro and have acquired connections so we get to see prototypes and art of things that were never created during the G1 line. So those people come to the fair and share info from the original pony lines prior to G4.

So I'd suggest people research the original collecting community online more to make yourself aware of what Hasbro and collectors are actually doing, since it's not always about Hasbro. I'd say if you are actually interested in learning G1 history in particular or you are actually interested in the toys then you're best bet is to attend the Fair this June. The convention will be in orlando this year June 16-17. It's probably the best place to meet other collectors, learn actual real MLP history, info. It's also a great place to buy ponies without the crazy super expensive prices on ebay, etc. The fair is not G1 only, it's a place for all generations of MLP, not just one generation. 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

No because imo the generations of mlp between 2 and 3.5 were experiments to sell toys and merch. I don’t think hasbro having mlp Fim is going to make some big thing based on the stuff they did back then as the generations progressed over time. MLP as a franchise isn’t really in the same position as Pokémon is which is more popular. I don’t think they would do such a thing and they wouldn’t reallly benefit.

11 hours ago, The Whiteraven said:

No because imo the generations of mlp between 2 and 3.5 were experiments to sell toys and merch. I don’t think hasbro having mlp Fim is going to make some big thing based on the stuff they did back then as the generations progressed over time. MLP as a franchise isn’t really in the same position as Pokémon is which is more popular. I don’t think they would do such a thing and they wouldn’t reallly benefit.

I don't quite know if I agree that 2 and 3.5 were experiments. G1 had it's own variety of different style molds of pony toys. People who say all G1 look alike, that they are all fat ponies is just damn ignorant of the how many G1's are out there. G2 toy line went on far longer than what was sold in the USA. There were whole likes of the toy I couldn't even buy here in the USA. G3.5 was just a change to the body style but to me it's still G3. And I'm not always sure in terms of G2 if people in the FIM centered fandom is talking Tales or actual G2 toys. Becuase there are always those fans who don't know the toyline history. Tales toys were part of G1...G2 was a completely different style but I wouldn't really call it an experiment. Especially when you tie the word experiement in and say it was to sell toys and merch....MLP is a toyline and Hasbro is a toy company...they're main goal is to sell you toys.

10 hours ago, KarentheUnicorn said:

I don't quite know if I agree that 2 and 3.5 were experiments. G1 had it's own variety of different style molds of pony toys. People who say all G1 look alike, that they are all fat ponies is just damn ignorant of the how many G1's are out there. G2 toy line went on far longer than what was sold in the USA. There were whole likes of the toy I couldn't even buy here in the USA. G3.5 was just a change to the body style but to me it's still G3. And I'm not always sure in terms of G2 if people in the FIM centered fandom is talking Tales or actual G2 toys. Becuase there are always those fans who don't know the toyline history. Tales toys were part of G1...G2 was a completely different style but I wouldn't really call it an experiment. Especially when you tie the word experiement in and say it was to sell toys and merch....MLP is a toyline and Hasbro is a toy company...they're main goal is to sell you toys.

No I was talking about it being an experiment as hasbro wanted to see what alterations they could make to mlp so they could get more profit such as redesigning their characters and toys. I didn’t say that they started selling toys in g2 and 3.5 more that they were very different from each other because hasbro was trying to see what most appealed to their consumers and audience also g3 is arguably the most girly and immature branch of the franchise compared to g1. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, The Whiteraven said:

No I was talking about it being an experiment as hasbro wanted to see what alterations they could make to mlp so they could get more profit such as redesigning their characters and toys. I didn’t say that they started selling toys in g2 and 3.5 more that they were very different from each other because hasbro was trying to see what most appealed to their consumers and audience also g3 is arguably the most girly and immature branch of the franchise compared to g1. 

Before we go any further, I'm just interested to know, were you into MLP during the end of G1 and the beginning of G2. I'd just like to know your history with the toyline and brand that you can speak about it in this way. G2 lasted from 1997-2003, that's 6 years. If you were around then and on the forums that existed where do you draw this idea that G2 was an experiment from?

Edited by KarentheUnicorn

From how they changed the general designs of the ponies as to see if it would be more successful than their previous character styles. Companies experiment with their products over time to see what clicks and yeah for g2 it was a decided change to revamp how they looked.

2 hours ago, KarentheUnicorn said:

Before we go any further, I'm just interested to know, were you into MLP during the end of G1 and the beginning of G2. I'd just like to know your history with the toyline and brand that you can speak about it in this way. G2 lasted from 1997-2003, that's 6 years. If you were around then and on the forums that existed where do you draw this idea that G2 was an experiment from?

No more so I’ve concluded on it based on research concerning them. The main reason that they included new toy generations was to renew a new trend so collectors and such would have more to buy and with greater variation. I’m guessing you think I can’t speak on it because I wasn’t old enough but I’ve looked into it and that is my conclusion. If you disagree just because I call it “an experiment” you are arguing based mostly on just semantics. Call it what you want that is what they try to do with these different styles introduced through these generations.

8 hours ago, The Whiteraven said:

From how they changed the general designs of the ponies as to see if it would be more successful than their previous character styles. Companies experiment with their products over time to see what clicks and yeah for g2 it was a decided change to revamp how they looked.

No more so I’ve concluded on it based on research concerning them. The main reason that they included new toy generations was to renew a new trend so collectors and such would have more to buy and with greater variation. I’m guessing you think I can’t speak on it because I wasn’t old enough but I’ve looked into it and that is my conclusion. If you disagree just because I call it “an experiment” you are arguing based mostly on just semantics. Call it what you want that is what they try to do with these different styles introduced through these generations.

Actually, my argument is based on actually being there so I wouldn't call that an argument of semantics or me doing 'research'. I was there and saw the G2 products first being introduced so it certainly was not some kind of experiment as you seem to be describing, it almost comes across like you are belittling it. That's just my take on how you come across.

They changed the brand to sell toys, sure, G1 changed the body style and ponies all the time.

It even seems to fall into the Hasbro just wants money complaint. I'm always surprised by the whole Hasbro OMG, they just want to make money selling toys. That argument is almost comical, IMO.

I'd be interested to know, in your research on MLP's previous brands, did you research the community of people who liked MLP before g4; unless you're one of those fellows that believes there were no 'real' pony fans before G4. I sort of wonder how many fans of MLP you actually spoke to while doing your 'research' to know what we thought of G2 and how it impacted the already existing community of fans/collectors?