Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Possible Theme Ideas for Season 8

Dark Qiviut

(edited)

For each of the past five seasons, FIM operates through at least one season-long theme that periodically appears.

Season 3: Twilight's ascension

Season 4: The Box of Harmony, Equestria Games, restoring the old castle

Season 5: Cutie mark magic, Starlight's revenge

Season 6: Starlight's path to redemption

Season 7: Family dynamics

Even though the seasonal theme doesn't appear in every episode, they appear to tell the audience of a specific story arc that ties them together. Sometimes the episodes are good, sometimes not. Depends on execution.

So, what ideas do you have for possible themes next season? Please lay them out below. If you have episode ideas related to the theme, put them in.

Three ideas I have include leadership, passing on the torch, and reconnections.

I'm going to expand on two of them: passing of the torch and leadership, and I'm going to use one of @Jeric's ideas shared to me (featured in purple), so credit goes to him for it.

Twilight Sparkle:

1. She trusts Starlight enough that she can help solve friendship issues. After some more development, she trusts Starlight into be able to care for herself once more and pursue more interaction with the rest of the community.
  2. She gets to teach at the School for Gifted Unicorns for a day after Celestia was taken ill. In that class is a filly who grew up idolizing Twilight, and she wants to grow up, learn the lessons of magic, and be like her.
  3. Over the season, Twilight is forced to take part in more and more royal duties and spend little time in Ponyville. During that time, Starlight gets to keep the castle and Spike in good company. Her growing time away gets them more and more worried about wondering if she'll be able to spend any time with them at all, or if they're going to separate one day. At the same time, Twiilight begins to worry if her increasing royal duties will eventually take a strain on her, her friendships, and her family, including Flurry Heart.

Rainbow Dash:

1. Rainbow Dash is a Wonderbolt now, but her new goal could be more than that: lead the Wonderbolts and maybe recreate the culture so more and more Wonderbolts can enter and not feel marginalized. She may come to embrace the hazing, but not everyone will. How about a new Wonderbolt who "achieves" an incompetence-laden insult like Dash, but unlike Dash, the newcomer doesn't take it very well at all, and it gets to the point where he may consider early retirement. This will put her into that leadership role where she can help recreate the Wonderbolt culture so newcomers won't feel stigmatized.
  2. A return of Lightning Dust. She's given another chance to try out for the Academy, but must take part in very strenuous and challenging exercises to prove she's mentally capable of returning. Dash gives her the help, and Lightning eventually shows a liking to Dash again. However, that training wasn't enough, and even though she completes the exercises, she flunks the tests. However, Dust takes the result surprisingly well; at the very least she tried her very best. At the end, Spitfire walks into the locker room and hands her a letter welcoming her into the Academy. Even though she didn't do as well as she hoped, she noticed how far Dust has come and is willing to give her another chance. Both Dust and Dash take the time off to fly together like old times.
Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 3

I say the History theme! Like history repeating itself, or secrets being revealed! It could be a great season for Scorpan to come back! Plus it would be a big season for Spike too - having the answers to all his questions of where he was from and how he ended up in Celestia's school! Plus it wouldn't hurt seeing Babs again!

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, MegaSean45 said:

I say the History theme! Like history repeating itself, or secrets being revealed! It could be a great season for Scorpan to come back! Plus it would be a big season for Spike too - having the answers to all his questions of where he was from and how he ended up in Celestia's school! Plus it wouldn't hurt seeing Babs again!

Sounds like the legends of magic comic series they're doing :P

All of the above ideas would be worthwhile platforms. If Season 8 does wrap up FiM, 'Passing the torch and Growing up' are phenomenal themes. 

I would love to see three episodes centered around the Apple Family. Yeah still riding high thanks to Perfect Pear, bear with me. I think one idea that would be perfect is an episode were Big Mac proposes to Sugar Belle. The proposal is accepted and celebrated until it causes conflicted feelings with Applejack when it is revealed Big Mac intends to move to her town and start a new farm there. 

A second episode would revolve around AJ and AB looking for a farm hand to help with the load. Hilarity ensues as AJ runs through a bunch of Apples who fail to meet her standards until a surprise candidate turns out to be a natural farmer. Snails maybe? A member of the Pear side of the family? Flim & Flam? 

Last episode would be the wedding which will take place in the grove. If you saw Perfect Pear you know what I mean. Unsure about moral or conflict. 

Spike has a wider array of fun episodes that fit this type of theme. His egg origin, growing out of his crush, maybe the Map calls him on a solo mission. 

• Brohoof 2

It depends on whether season 9 happens, I guess. I still think the show was never better than in season 2, when it just did whatever the writers felt like, and I preferred the looseness of season 6 to the sorta interconnected season 7, so if season 8 is just another season, I'd like it to worry less about recurring plot elements and just tell some fun stories. If there must be some repeating elements, then I'd like to see more episodes about careers, although I dunno how relevant that might be to the target demographic. Even in episodes I'm less fond of I always enjoy it when one of the main characters is advancing their career or otherwise pursuing some ambition, and I've recently felt that this is the best and most natural way for the show to reinvent itself. The problem again becomes telling morals and stories relevant to the target demographic, but I don't buy that as a barrier to the show doing interesting new things.

I don't like the "passing the torch" idea much, but I do like the notion of maturing and growing up. We've already gotten a bit of that from the Cutie Mark Crusaders and Spike, and I think it's a good path for their episodes to take while Starlight learns more basic social mores and the mane six advance their careers. All of that carries the idea of what's next; while most of what I ask for is simply to be entertained, every season I hope for some emphasis on things moving forward in the main characters' lives. 

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, AlexanderThrond said:

It depends on whether season 9 happens, I guess. I still think the show was never better than in season 2, when it just did whatever the writers felt like, and I preferred the looseness of season 6 to the sorta interconnected season 7, so if season 8 is just another season, I'd like it to worry less about recurring plot elements and just tell some fun stories. If there must be some repeating elements, then I'd like to see more episodes about careers, although I dunno how relevant that might be to the target demographic. Even in episodes I'm less fond of I always enjoy it when one of the main characters is advancing their career or otherwise pursuing some ambition, and I've recently felt that this is the best and most natural way for the show to reinvent itself. The problem again becomes telling morals and stories relevant to the target demographic, but I don't buy that as a barrier to the show doing interesting new things.

I don't like the "passing the torch" idea much, but I do like the notion of maturing and growing up. We've already gotten a bit of that from the Cutie Mark Crusaders and Spike, and I think it's a good path for their episodes to take while Starlight learns more basic social mores and the mane six advance their careers. All of that carries the idea of what's next; while most of what I ask for is simply to be entertained, every season I hope for some emphasis on things moving forward in the main characters' lives. 

Season 2 was indeed the best season of MLP. A theme on the other hand is not that bad, but they should do more outside that theme.

I actually hope season 8, 9 & 10 are like on great theme. To defeat the best boss (Celestia?) they need to make so big as possible!

I can see a theme of leadership working for S8, I mean, something like this can work for a lot of the characters, maybe get an episode where AJ gets full control of Sweet Apple Acres(due to Big Mac wanting to move on, Granny Smith getting too old), then maybe an episode where Spitfire is injured and decides to make RD temporary captain and hopefully make up for ND, and could possibly end with a finale where Twilight is in a situation that forces her to lead all of Equestria

• Brohoof 1

Seeing how the show is going to have to end eventually, and we don't know if there will be a season 9, I would want to see a theme of conclusions and endings so the show can wrap up with season 8 and have a series finale that is satisfying.

This is not for this season, but an ideal theme for a Final Season would be more of a final struggle against a foe unlike anything they've seen.  Something like a great cataclysm that threatens to destroy Equestria.  Where everyone is forced to unite against the great evil, and not just Equestria's allies, but also their enemies as well.  

A season that focuses on unity, that explores further into the minds of individuals pushing to preserve Equestria

As for a future season, I would like to see a more Ensemble-focused Season.  Give the Mane characters a bit of a break, and let the side characters have the fun.

• 4 months later...
1 minute ago, n1029 said:

I think "growing up" sounds like the way to go now that this season is over with. Have season 8 be the one where Spike and the CMCs really come into their own. 

I would like to see that too. The CMC must have a greater destiny than just running cutie mark discovery camps, or why the shields? and Spike, especially given his relationship with Thorax and his future as a Dragon, could do with having an entire arc around him, rather than just bit parts and the occasional background-character episode.

It's the time to spread the Magic of Friendship not just in Equestria but to other new unknown regions too. It can help portray how powerful and important it can be to others whom had not heard of it. Starlight and her group can potentially expand and apply it in their journeys to new lands and such. As a resolution for the show, it is good to see it really help others in far places.

1 hour ago, Star Mist said:

It's the time to spread the Magic of Friendship not just in Equestria but to other new unknown regions too. It can help portray how powerful and important it can be to others whom had not heard of it. Starlight and her group can potentially expand and apply it in their journeys to new lands and such. As a resolution for the show, it is good to see it really help others in far places.

Is that not what the cutie map is for?

I will say I'd appreciate an explanation for why Twilight thinks she needs to be so slavish to its will. I'm not opposed to using it as a thin excuse to put certain characters together, but I'd like to see what would happen if somepony disobeyed it.

Edited by n1029

On 6/25/2017 at 5:48 AM, cmarston1 said:

Seeing how the show is going to have to end eventually, and we don't know if there will be a season 9, I would want to see a theme of conclusions and endings so the show can wrap up with season 8 and have a series finale that is satisfying.

Yeah... the only way I see Hasbro ending the show after season 8 is if one of the voice actors quits. 

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, n1029 said:

I think "growing up" sounds like the way to go now that this season is over with. Have season 8 be the one where Spike and the CMCs really come into their own. 

And then also with growing up fysical. They should become larger at one point. 

4 hours ago, n1029 said:

I will say I'd appreciate an explanation for why Twilight thinks she needs to be so slavish to its will.

You have the explanation. It's pretty well spelled out if you understand the character. Hell, they touched on this in Shadow Play, and they did it without the exposition sledgehammer.

On 6/25/2017 at 8:48 AM, cmarston1 said:

Nah, I think season 10 being the final season would be a great move for the show! A decade of ponies we'd call it! Then end it in 2020 and move on to the next gen! I'm sure the writers can think of 3 more seasons worth of content without even those unneeded episodes and answering all our questions! ;) 

• Brohoof 1

On 11/23/2017 at 6:48 AM, MAIKUN said:

I would prefer Growing Up and Betrayal....Why? Because I want Starlight to become permanently evil again by betraying the Mane Six...badly.

Why?! For the sake of it? I would like to hear you why you want Starlight to go that route, which is kinda cool in paper and not totally impossible but it can risk derailing her character, ruining every accomplishments she has done so far. Why the show need to take that risk for some cheap drama?

On 11/22/2017 at 9:41 PM, n1029 said:

They did that with Sweetie Bell in Forever Filly, and i hope they keeping doing that with the rest of CMC.

And i want Baby Cakes grow up a little bit with big eyes.

• Brohoof 1

Lightning Dust returns as a rival towards Rainbow Dash. One thing going in the series is RD is the only one shown capable to do a sonic rainboom. LD pulls off a sonic rainboom or something new that is equivalent/superior. This would be a hit to RD's pride that someone else was able to do it. Then this can lead to LD and RD to have a one on one flying competition where the loser has to give up doing aerial tricks for good. It can be a clean competition where each one tries to up the level of difficulty and push the boundary.

Edited by Singe

On 11/22/2017 at 5:48 PM, MAIKUN said:

I would prefer Growing Up and Betrayal....Why? Because I want Starlight to become permanently evil again by betraying the Mane Six...badly.

i dont see that ever happening, it would go against everything the starlight has achieved up to this point and what everything they've been building up too. that said however, betrayal is what i think chrysalis' plan is. she's smart and she knows the cant attack starlight directly, so im sure she's going to hit her where it hurts and make it seem like all her friends turned on her since that's her biggest weakness.

as to what i think the theme will be for this season. people may not like it, but with all the big stops they pulling out, and with the movie passing finally and with what i've seen and read about the season so far, i feel that this season's theme is going to be about starlight becoming the 7th.

22 minutes ago, Jade Fire said:

as to what i think the theme will be for this season. people may not like it, but with all the big stops they pulling out, and with the movie passing finally and with what i've seen and read about the season so far, i feel that this season's theme is going to be about starlight becoming the 7th.

It's possible. One thing the existence of the Pillars teaches us is that, while the Elements from the tree have been important so far, The physical embodyment of those Elements are just expressions of the Elements the Mane 6 already had. Elements don't HAVE to come from the tree, as the Pillars were also Elements before the tree existed, and placed some of their Elements into the seed from which the tree grew.

Starlight (and indeed Sunset) can have Elements of their own, not bound to the tree; they won't get magical necklaces or big crown things (although I do note Rarity has a big crown thing suspiciously similar to the elemental one :D) but they can still get a huge power boost when expressing their Element, just as the twelve known holders of Elements do.

That said, I think Starlight and indeed Spike are clearly part of the mane group, as the table has used them to solve friendship problems.

Edited by CypherHoof
  • Brohoof 1