What happens if Disney buys My Little Pony?

Deidre Asada

80 users have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Stop watching
    • Be sad
    • Keep watching

Hey guys I was wondering what would you guys do if Disney bought my little pony like they have done with naruto and marvel would you still watch the show or will it hurt the show popularity.

If they didn't mess with the show itself, then of course I'd still watch it.

Knowing Disney, they'd allow the show to run in the same way as it is at the moment but they would alter the merchandise drastically. There would be MLP mugs, sweaters, jellybeans and plushies. That sounds pretty awesome but there would always be the fear of Disney altering the actual show itself and creating a monstrosity.

So, yeah, if the show itself was left relatively untouched then I'd still watch it but if drastic alterations began then I'd stop watching and/or rebel against and criticise Disney.

• Brohoof 27

If they ever do, I would HOPE that they have it on Disney Channel instead of one of those subscription channels. I just can't pay for the Hub and crap like that. :(

• Brohoof 2

Knowing Disney, they'd allow the show to run in the same way as it is at the moment but they would alter the merchandise drastically. There would be MLP mugs, sweaters, jellybeans and plushies. That sounds pretty awesome but there would always be the fear of Disney altering the actual show itself and creating a monstrosity.

So, yeah, if the show itself was left relatively untouched then I'd still watch it but if drastic alterations began then I'd stop watching and/or rebel against and criticise Disney.

ditto.

(edited)

Well, depends on what they did once they acquired it; however, I don't think we have to worry about this scenario, since Hasbro is currently in the midst of a revival of almost all of its 80s properties either on the big screen or on the Hub, with MLP being perhaps the biggest critical success of all of its new releases, so in my humble opinion, they're not going to sell any of their franchises anytime soon, and with MLP being the most successful (again critically, not necessarily financially, but definitely critically if you compare it to even the Transformers movies) of these franchises, they're not going to let Disney touch it with a 50 foot pole. Especially not after seeing what Disney did to some of the properties they acquired when they bought Marvel, in particular, Spectacular Spiderman, which, frankly was the best Spiderman show I'd ever seen (and yeah, I grew up with the 90s Spiderman show, which in all honesty was kinda really cheesy and didn't have that great of production quality), but was inexplicably cancelled by Disney after 2 very successful seasons!

But, if Disney did for some reason acquire MLP, I can't really see them changing it that much other than the level and variety of MLP merchandise, but there'd definitely still be the risk that some executive would change something related to the show for the worse (i.e. an American studio connected to Disney is brought on to make MLP episodes instead of the Canadian Studio B, cast is expanded for merchandising purposes, etc.). Thankfully, like I said earlier, I still don't think this'll happen. :)

Edited by Batbrony

I'd be totally fine with that. I frankly don't care about ever buying the merchandise so as long as the show is fine I have the same views :3

The merchandise would probably be a bit better, and it would probably become more popular, but who knows what they would do with the show... I honestly don't think any good could be done with them involved, hands would probably change and not much would be the same. :blink:

Well, I find it very unlikely that they would, considering how big a franchise My Little Pony is, and it is one of Hasbro's most popular toy lines, but for the sake of the thread, I shall pretend it is possible for it to happen. I would carry on watching the show. I don't think Disney would change anything drastically, except for maybe the toy line.

I fear they'd ruin it like they did with Doug and Naruto. There's also the fear of them converting it to CGI or even worse, replace Tara Strong with Miley Cyrus. God knows the world would explode if that happened.

• Brohoof 3

i would assume everything stays the same, they also might add some movies and drastically improve merchandise, as for the show its self i would expect after a while they'd swap them out for Disney actresses.

I wouldn't really mind. The merchandise would really be the only thing changed, as mentioned earlier. As long as the show stays the same, I wouldn't care.

Well, if they changed the show or some of its voice actors, I'd probably shoot myself, I never did like Disney. Never actually watched it, the only show I actually watched on there was a couple of years ago, Lilo & Stitch.

I wouldn't mind unless they messed with the show. I would also not like if they moved the show on Disney XD and put it on at 11pm like Naruto.

First of all they don't actually own Naruto, just pointing that out. K' than, I seriously doubt Hasbro would be willing to sell one of their flagship properties. Specially to Disney, which already owns Hasbro's largest competition(Mattel), perhaps if they were desperate for money but I really don't see that happening.

I agree with Ginger

As do I. Unfortunately, I can't really add much that hasn't already been said.

I'll always stay with Friendship is Magic as long as it's the same show that I fell in love with, regardless of the network.

Honestly, we have to look at this from a business perspective: Disney would have to purchase not only the rights to MLP from Hasbro for the sake of not only showing the show, but producing merchandise. If they wanted to maintain the channel it was originally airing on and thus the partnership with Hasbro, (ergo maybe not outright purchasing RIGHTS but a split deal or something) they would have to purchase Discovery Communications, the parent company that owns The Hub channel. Which would honestly cost a BOAT LOAD of money. So really? Not gonna happen. :)

• Brohoof 1

(rocking back and forth) shhhhhhh shhhhhhh its ok its only hypothetical, but it has been conceived therefore in an alternate timeline Disney dose buy it and then the timeliness that spawn from that one timeline... THE TIMELINESS WHERE THAT IS A FUTURE! WE COULD BE ON OUR WAY TO ONE OF THEM! REPENT! REPENT! REPENT TO OUR DEAR GOD PRINCESSES CELESTIA, LUNA, AND FAUST. THE END IS NIGH MY!

• Brohoof 1