Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Dark Qiviut

A Health of Information  

93 users have voted

1. 1. Like or Dislike?

• Spike: *sees flyder invasion, puts castle on lockdown* ("I HATE IT!" >__<)
    • Fluttershy: *inhales deeply* Nooooooooooooo. ("I dislike it.")
    • Angel: *eats salad, shrugs* ("…meh.")
    • Fluttershy: "I'd like to be a tree." ("I like it!")
    • Zecora: "I'm having such a great time, I almost forgot to rhyme." ("I LOVE IT!" <3)

On 2017-09-24 at 3:26 PM, Phirun Natela said:

And when has she genuinely done that?

A lot of times, No Second Prances is one notable example where she seemed to be more concerned about her status than helping Starlight find a friend.

6 minutes ago, RDash11 said:

A lot of times, No Second Prances is one notable example where she seemed to be more concerned about her status than helping Starlight find a friend.

That had much less to do with her status and more to do with her wanting to make a good impression with Celestia, and being afraid of her negative judgement. That's not something to do with her being a Princess at all, she's always done that. "Bird in a hoof" where she panics about her friends making a good impression on Celestia, and then freaks out when Fluttershy takes the bird, worrying Celestia will "Banish her and throw her in a dungeon". Her fear of being sent back to Magic Kindergarten in "Lesson Zero", etc. She's always been scared of disappointing Celestia, she put's her former teacher on a big pedestal.

So, no. Any better examples? Cause I also can't think of any.

Edited by BasementSparkle
  • Brohoof 2

Thirty years later, she still thought it was okay to put the toilet paper roll under rather than over.

The overpass went under the highway and into a secret world.

She did her best to help him.

Edited by Phirun Natela
  • Brohoof 4

Just now, BasementSparkle said:

That had much less to do with her status and more to do with her wanting to make a good impression with Celestia, and being afraid of her negative judgement. That's not something to do with her being a Princess at all, she's always done that. "Bird in a hoof" where she panics about her friends making a good impression on Celestia, and then freaks out when Fluttershy takes the bird, worrying Celestia will "Banish her and throw her in a dungeon", her fear of being sent back to Magic Kindergarten in "Lesson Zero", etc. She's always been scared of disappointing Celestia, she put's her former teacher on a big pedestal.

So, no. Any better examples? Cause I also can't think of any.

Yeah, To Where and Back Again, where she seem to think that she is Starlight's only friend when she forgotten about Trixie, seemed like she got jealous about that.

On 2017-09-24 at 3:41 PM, Phirun Natela said:

Not really, she would've acted the same if she was still an unicorn. She plainly doesn't like Trixie and was fairly justified in not wanting her with the dinner since Trixie could've easily been an ass to Celestia. And it's Twilight.. you know she wants everything being perfect with Cellestia involved.

That's the biggest problem I have with her, she seems to wanting to be perfect all the time and that makes me dislike her. She needs to have some flaws every now and then and not try to be a mary sue.

On 2017-09-24 at 3:41 PM, Phirun Natela said:

This.

See above post.

1 minute ago, RDash11 said:

Yeah, To Where and Back Again, where she seem to think that she is Starlight's only friend when she forgotten about Trixie, seemed like she got jealous about that.

She got jealous when Starlight picked Trixie over her...So? That doesn't mean she thinks she's "Starlight's only friend", it just means she wanted to spend time with Starlight and go on the trip with her, and was disappointed when Starlight picked Trixie instead. She didn't even take it out on Trixie or Starlight either, she mostly kept quiet about her disappointment.

1 minute ago, RDash11 said:

That's the biggest problem I have with her, she seems to wanting to be perfect all the time and that makes me dislike her. She needs to have some flaws every now and then and not try to be a mary sue.

Her wanting to be perfect all the time, doesn't mean she IS perfect all the time.

• Brohoof 2

On 2017-09-24 at 3:45 PM, BasementSparkle said:

Her wanting to be perfect all the time, doesn't mean she IS perfect all the time.

I never said that, she just needs to stop trying to be perfect all the time, I mean she is a princess so she can be her own role model.

On 2017-09-24 at 3:47 PM, Phirun Natela said:

Oh great, "Mary Sue" is being thrown around now. She hardly wants to be perfect, she knows she's not perfect, and has even said this herself.

But now you just changed the reason why you dislike her mid discussion, first it was acting like a snob which we already know is incorrect, now it is "wanting to be perfect". And that's also incorrect. You seem to just want a reason to complain about her.

They're two different reasons and you're the one that wanted to start this discussion with me. I was just here discussing about the episode and what I thought about her in that episode.

On 2017-09-24 at 3:48 PM, RDash11 said:

I never said that, she just needs to stop trying to be perfect all the time, I mean she is a princess so she can be her own role model.

Well, as Phirun Natela just pointed out, she doesn't really try to be perfect all the time anyway, which...Yeah. She kinda took part in a whole song about not being flawless recently. From the few examples you've given, I think you've been interpreting her character and actions in rather strange ways. The few things you've pointed out had nothing to do with her being a snobby Princess and more to do with her being worried about Celestia's reaction to things, which she's always done, and also getting jealous because she wanted to spend time with a friend, which is a completely normal emotion to feel.

• Brohoof 2

On 2017-09-24 at 3:51 PM, Phirun Natela said:

And that changes my point how?

And I have no idea what you are talking about.

On 2017-09-24 at 3:52 PM, BasementSparkle said:

Well, as Phirun Natela just pointed out, she doesn't really try to be perfect all the time anyway, which...Yeah. She kinda took part in a whole song about not being flawless recently. From the few examples you've given, I think you've been interpreting her character and actions in rather strange ways. The few things you've pointed out had nothing to do with her being a snobby Princess and more to do with her being worried about Celestia's reaction to things, which she's always done, and also getting jealous because she wanted to spend time with a friend, which is a completely normal emotion to feel.

Ok, I get what you're saying, like I said before, my opinion on her has changed after this episode. I have no more hate for her after today.

20 hours ago, Music Chart Fan said:

I have an inkling that translating perhaps centuries-old books might be a bit more complex than pulling out a handy dandy "Olde Ponish to Modern Ponish" book to translate.

but princess luna on "luna eclipsed" talks in olde ponish.
the name "mistical mask" is really alike the modern ponish.

i think that the olden ponish is just more poetic and or "educated" version of modern ponish, and twilight read it without a translation book because she is very used to that language due to living in a library and being fond of books her entire life

20 hours ago, Midnight Blaze 98 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Unfortunately despite trying to stay off finale spoilers I've heard that MeadowBrook is going to feature imsome way, but please don't tell me anymore!

it killed my head-cannon that she and the tribe of zebras Luna finds in the Journal of the two sisters had been cursed to talk in rhyme.

what if it became tradition?
what if they saw the curse as an opportunity to have an artistic and poetic trait to zebra culture?

19 hours ago, AlexanderThrond said:

FLUTTERSHY: "I cross-referenced books and discovered that ancient thing is real."

TWILIGHT: "Suddenly I am very attracted to you."

that said, mane 6 shipping works between everypony of the mane 6.
nopony will be left behind

19 hours ago, Jeric said:

The main lesson was that there are other methods of magic

Tirek does not just suck the magic from unicorns and alicorns. earth pony and pegasi are also sucked-off
that means, magic does not only comes out of a horn. and there is also the implication that anything that someone does, and does it too good, people call them a magician, or, like the internet meme "are you a wizard?"

• Brohoof 1

14 minutes ago, age3rcm said:

but princess luna on "luna eclipsed" talks in olde ponish.

She used the Canterlot Voice but spoke in the same language as the other characters. I believe this episode was the first show reference to Olde Ponish. 

• Brohoof 2

I will say this; there is plenty of potential for "Last of Us"-ish fanfic material with these trees. They sound WAY too similar from the cordyceps from the game. Just imagine a pony from Manehatten or Canterlot spreading that tree disease in those high population centers.

Honestly; the episode is kinda dark when you think too much on it. XD

• Brohoof 2

5 minutes ago, PathfinderCS said:

I will say this; there is plenty of potential for "Last of Us"-ish fanfic material with these trees. They sound WAY too similar from the cordyceps from the game. Just imagine a pony from Manehatten or Canterlot spreading that tree disease in those high population centers.

Honestly; the episode is kinda dark when you think too much on it. XD

And the effect TOO virulent; something that easy to spread would have destroyed Equestria years ago.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

And the effect TOO virulent; something that easy to spread would have destroyed Equestria years ago.

Well most ponies don't go into the Everfree Forest and they would likely not make it back to manehattan without becoming too sick or a tree all together

• Brohoof 3

5 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Well most ponies don't go into the Everfree Forest and they would likely not make it back to manehattan without becoming too sick or a tree all together

Perhaps not, but Ponies aren't the only race in equestria; as this infected Zecora too, it would seem unlikely every other animal in the forest (including the deer etc) were somehow immune...

• Brohoof 1

Just now, CypherHoof said:

Perhaps not, but Ponies aren't the only race in equestria; as this infected Zecora too, it would seem unlikely every other animal in the forest (including the deer etc) were somehow immune...

Going off the real life disease Swamp Fever, it should only effect Equines, so deer and most animals wouldn't count.

• Brohoof 2

32 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

Considering there is no real world analog to what we see in the episode there isn't an example I can drawn on to suggest it couldn't actually be that devestating, though there are some dark ass precautions.

This is the craziest thing. They combined spore medium bacterium like clostridium with viral communicability. That's like merging anthrax, pseudomembranous colitis, or botulism with the flu. :wau:

That's a nightmare fuel scenario for the CDC depending on the rate of communicability. Fungal spore and airborne mediums as vectors for infection is bad. Also of note is that Zecora had symptoms almost immediately when infected by spores, while Fluttershy had delayed symptoms when infected via proximity to Zecora. If she was well rested it would have likely been even more delayed. That delay allows some transmission to other individuals. 

Magical pony world has some scary ass shit. 

• Brohoof 4

44 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Going off the real life disease Swamp Fever, it should only effect Equines, so deer and most animals wouldn't count.

Well, the equine anemia retrovirus SF is indeed limited to equines, but is also largely chronic rather than lethal. Other forms of SF can be bacterial though, and in many cases, able to cross species barriers.

Similarly though, the effect of THIS SF seems more like the various Cordyceps varieties you find which tend to be extremely species specific (albeit there seem to be variants for most insects) and which provided the inspiration of the last of us game and the movie the girl with all the gifts - which of course were apocalyptic for just that reason.

Edited by CypherHoof
  • Brohoof 1

This was a pretty good episode to see Zecora in as the second episode in a row for her this season. This episode also brought up a lot of Nightmare Fuel because of the fate of anyone who was infected with Swamp Fever and never were given the antidote in Flash Bee Honey in time.

Fluttershy really stood out here as she felt that Zecora becoming infected was all her fault for asking for her help for the animal sanctuary, and refused to get any sleep until she could find the cure. This only made things worse for Fluttershy when she became infected, and combined with her fatigue, proved to cause her to pass out for three days. Three days that could have been avoided if she had just taken Twilight's advice to get some sleep first and prolonged saving Zecora from the fate of her own infection. However, Fluttershy was not going to risk putting Twilight and Meadowbrook's descendant Cattail at risk with getting infected as well, and once she discovered how Meadowbrook got the Flash Bees to let her have access to the honey, she cured herself, then Zecora. However, the final irony of the episode was when the doctor who first analyzed Zecora became infected himself. Karmic payback.

With all the Nightmare Fuel this episode brought up, along with the last of the characters from the Legends of Magic comics being introduced in Meadowbrook, I'm giving this episode a 9/10 for my rating.

• Brohoof 1

I couldn't get over Twilight's subdued level of concern in this episode. She learns of just how dire Zecora's diagnosis is, but is still able to get a good night's sleep after failing my expectations regarding her bookworm status, haha. I feel that more realistically, the entire Mane 6 would've been in that library provided they weren't already seriously preoccupied, but then we wouldn't have had much of an episode.

I did think it was curious that neither Zecora or Fluttershy had heard of this mysterious tree, but the doctor had. Regarding strange plants, I'd think that these two would be at the top of Equestria's "know" list, but this doesn't seem to have been the case! it was kind of alarming to see how quickly Swamp Fever spread, I wasn't expecting that.

It was nice to see Fluttershy's determined side, and Twilight and Spike's bakeoff, as others have noted, was 100% adorable! :D

• Brohoof 3

17 minutes ago, Meeps said:

I did think it was curious that neither Zecora or Fluttershy had heard of this mysterious tree, but the doctor had. Regarding strange plants, I'd think that these two would be at the top of Equestria's "know" list, but this doesn't seem to have been the case! it was kind of alarming to see how quickly Swamp Fever spread, I wasn't expecting that.

Zecora and Fluttershy are indeed knowledgeable about some rare plants but at the same time they are kind of specialized on Zebra herbolary and Animal care.

My guess is that this mysterious tree does not represent harm to animals (non sapient) and is not known on the Zebra Lands.

Still, Ponies should really start to research and categorize the Everfree Forest species. The Swamp Fever had the potential to endanger a huge portion of Equestria's Population, it really gave me chills.

• Brohoof 2

This was a decent Fluttershy focus episode. I don't like sweet potato so I would probably prefer Spike's cauliflower bites, even though I'm not that fond of cauliflower either. Sweet potato is an acquired taste similar to olives whereas a person can enjoy regular potato immediately without having to warm up to it. I find it rather difficult to become accustomed to these exotic flavors.

Now for the main course, the swamp fever dilemma. A disease that can turn ponies in to trees. Sounds like Fluttershy's dream right? Well it would be if not for the fact that she would be a poisonous tree and responsible for turning other ponies in to unwilling trees. I think it would suck to be a tree, all they do is stand there and cleanse the air. If they were capable of thought, they would be bored and some trees can live for centuries! I doubt trees can self terminate if they wanted to move on from that tedious life. Must be an inconvenience.

Flash bees are bad*sses, they're unaffected by poisonous spores and even the dreaded Stare! Cat Tail is a nice background character, kind of like a hermit in the swamp that knows important information. This disease seems to have effects on the host's mind as well with Zecora losing her ability to rhyme, must be part of the transition from pony to plant since plants don't rhyme.

The moral was nice. You can't help your friends if you can't help yourself.

• Brohoof 1