Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone else worried now that net neutrality is ending?

Rhythm Red

Net neutrality just got killed today, is anyone else scared about what that could mean? I'm afraid something will happen to sites like this one, and I don't want anything happening to pony stuff on the internet.:(

What do you all think?

• Brohoof 1

I wonder if we’ll have to pay for certain sites, like they do in Mexico.

And if they do, I wonder how that would work out...? Like, an extra 10$ for reddit, or 20$ fee for YouTube...

But I wonder what would happen with misc. sites, like this one? Would it cost more? Be blocked entirely?

Then again, I think that some services that are currently doing well wouldn’t change a thing (unless the FCC put some crazy tax on this whole thing,) and would have an advantage against ISPs like AT&T and Verizon. Everything would collapse.

What are the advantages of this? There has to be SOME advantages, even if it’s only for the government.

14 minutes ago, Toastypk said:

It looks worrisome but it isn't finalized just yet.

I believe congress has to approve it. Not to mention the many lawsuits that are hhappening,

3 minutes ago, Aveon said:

While it does worry me, I'm hoping that there will be a support more prominent to it being maintained, hopefully in courts or congress

Good points! It does still have to go through congress. Kinda sucks how the VAST majority of people want it to stay but three people were enough to kill it.

• Brohoof 4

I have a feeling we'll now see websites being censored by ISPs for a variety of reasons. Just because it never happened before doesn't mean that it won't happen now. Especially with how toxic the political atmosphere has gotten over the past couple of years. 

• Brohoof 2

19 minutes ago, Rhythm Red said:

Good points! It does still have to go through congress. Kinda sucks how the VAST majority of people want it to stay but three people were enough to kill it.

Sadly, it does not have to go through Congress. However, many groups are suing the FCC on procedural grounds because of the fact they did not rightly respond to the evidence of fake comments and they did not properly follow the Administrative Procedures Act. So, there will be long, drawn out court battles over this- we haven't lost yet.

• Brohoof 2

https://gizmodo.com/wait-can-congress-stop-the-fcc-from-trampling-net-neut-1821292981

"But the fight for a free and open internet isn’t over. Demand Progress, Fight for the Future, and the Free Press Action Fund are now calling on Congress to block the FCC’s new rules from ever going into effect. (Free Press and other organizations have also promised to sue to block the rules.)

Under the Congressional Review Act, Congress could issue a resolution of disapproval and overrule the FCC’s decision. But it’s not going to be easy—the CRA only provides Congress a 60 day window in which to act, and a resolution of disapproval needs either presidential support or backing from two-thirds of the House and Senate.

Rep. Doyle has announced he plans to introduce a resolution of disapproval that would overturn today’s FCC decision, with support from ten other Democratic representatives."

There is more to come.

• Brohoof 2

The government doesn't care about its people. They do whatever they want to do to have as much power as they want. How long ago was the Brexit vote? It's been more than a year and no 1's doing anything to get out of the EU. Congress doesn't have to care about what they people want. They're in charge, they count the votes, they're funded by you by force. What are you going to do if NN ends? Complain on a site you have to pay $10/month extra to see? The government doesn't care! Democracy is dying

Big ISPs like Comcast and Time Warner know that charging $X/month extra is going to drive profits through the roof. What are you willing to pay to have access to Youtube?

• Brohoof 1

Yeah even as an Australian the whole thing has been worrying me recently. I usually use reddit and they’ve been going crazy over it for the past month. If the US does abolish NN then other countries such as my own may follow up. You know how influential the US is the world in the modern times especially. Also, a lot of people I know online are from there. From people in the forums to popular YouTubers may not be able to keep up with their content.

Edited by Gumball Senpai <3

The end of net neutrality is one of the things that have been stressing me out lately so yes. I don't want to lose contact with my friends on the internet.

Not really.

I don't think that much will change without it. Mobile providers only do what NN was going against because everyone having truly unlimited, equal data (without caps or prioritized speed) would hog down their towers, and everyone would complain about slow speeds. This happened when AT&T first introduced the iPhone: their network got so overloaded with iPhone users using so much data, it greatly affected the network quality, so this is why they do it.

Generally, your wired ISPs (AT&T, Comcast, Verizon, Charter, etc) will have the capacity to handle way more traffic than mobile, so caps and prioritized speeds are generally not required. Sure, some do, but that's also to maintain network quality, but the caps are way more generous than mobile.

Mobile providers may not need caps even when 5G becomes a thing. Most towers will have around 1-2Gbps capacity IIRC, so we might see an increase and less prioritization when that comes out.

• Brohoof 1

Worried? I am quite worried, but my worry isn;t to its highest point. It is not going into full effect for a while and will have to hold up in court, which it may not. If it somehow gets past the supreme court, then my worry will take a nice little jump up 15 notches or so.

You know what worries me the most though about all of this??? One simple fact: The government doesn't care about us. At least, about what we have to say. Think about it. Trump puts that dickweed in charge of the FCC. Said dickweed wants to get rid of Net Neutrality. The vast majority of Americans did not want it to be repealed. So what they did they do? 3 people repealed it. Millions upon millions of citizens didn't want the repeal, yet Trump and his 3 FCC cronies repealed it. It is clear as day from this situation that the voice of the people is silent to them. They don't hear what we say, they don't care about what we say. The only entities that get their attention are celebrities, or big corporations that go against them. That's it. What we say doesn't matter and THAT, bothers me above all else in this scenario. It is even funnier how we now have to hope the supreme court shoots this down, instead of, you know, OUR voices stopping it. That's because we don't have any power. If we did, the talks of repealing Net Neutrality would have stopped the moment they began. Now NN is on life support and it is the supreme court that decides if the plug is pulled, not us. The people. To the federal government, we are not 'the people', we're the peasants.

It is quite a negative viewpoint I have, but I cna't have anything else after this situation.

• Brohoof 2

10 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

Worried? I am quite worried, but my worry isn;t to its highest point. It is not going into full effect for a while and will have to hold up in court, which it may not. If it somehow gets past the supreme court, then my worry will take a nice little jump up 15 notches or so.

You know what worries me the most though about all of this??? One simple fact: The government doesn't care about us. At least, about what we have to say. Think about it. Trump puts that dickweed in charge of the FCC. Said dickweed wants to get rid of Net Neutrality. The vast majority of Americans did not want it to be repealed. So what they did they do? 3 people repealed it. Millions upon millions of citizens didn't want the repeal, yet Trump and his 3 FCC cronies repealed it. It is clear as day from this situation that the voice of the people is silent to them. They don't hear what we say, they don't care about what we say. The only entities that get their attention are celebrities, or big corporations that go against them. That's it. What we say doesn't matter and THAT, bothers me above all else in this scenario. It is even funnier how we now have to hope the supreme court shoots this down, instead of, you know, OUR voices stopping it. That's because we don't have any power. If we did, the talks of repealing Net Neutrality would have stopped the moment they began. Now NN is on life support and it is the supreme court that decides if the plug is pulled, not us. The people. To the federal government, we are not 'the people', we're the peasants.

It is quite a negative viewpoint I have, but I cna't have anything else after this situation.

Amen. This is what's bothering me as well, three people doing something despite basically everyone wanting them not to is not how democracy should work.

• Brohoof 4