Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do most bronies have bad hygiene, are socially awkward and are quirky?

PhantomInfinite

I'm fairly socially awkward. And mayyyybe a tad quirky. And I've encountered multiple other bronies who would consider themselves socially awkward and quirky. But I doubt that all bronies are like that. It's just a stereotype. Kind of related to the stereotype that all bronies are autistic, which, again, just isn't the case. Sure, some are. And they're also some of the nicest people in the fandom.

As for bad hygiene, though? Well, I haven't met enough bronies in real life to have ever encountered one who showers only once a week, stinks, and has putrid breath. :P And given the general personalities of bronies I have met online, 99% of them do not come off as individuals who would practice poor personal hygiene.

• Brohoof 5

The bad hygiene bit is probably perpetuated by fan conventions. Having been to a few myself, you tend to pick up on the wide array of body odors. However, that's to be expected at any event with thousands of people gathered in close proximity.

As for social awkwardness, I've known bronies who are very much at ease socially and others who are notably uncomfortable when talking to other people. My guess is that one may encounter more of the latter than the former -- but no more than in most any other large fandom.

• Brohoof 6

Yeahh, this type of stereotype is most common in Dungeons and Dragons Fans, and the Anime Fandom in General (e.g. Weeaboos and Otakus).

To me, stereotypes can only tell you so much about the said followers. You gotta go deep boi/gurl to understand the gist of majority of followers that belong in fandoms/ideologies/religions/cults/team sports/clubs etc etc.

• Brohoof 3

Out of the three, quirky is probably the only one that I've seen that is extremely common. That's not a bad trait at all. I've seen an even number of socially awkward and socially comfortable fans. The majority fall somewhere in between that spectrum though. 

The hygiene thing, as @Yellow Diamond suggested, is mostly perpetuated by the con scene. As someone who has been to rock and metal concerts, and a fair number of sporting events, body odor is something you pick up on others easy when you are in close proximity with thousands of fans. 

• Brohoof 5

I haven't met many bronies irl to know if a lot of them smell bad or have bad hygiene in general, though what I can say is that there are some socially awkward people in the fandom, though it's not necessarily a bad thing, in fact most of the time, those same people create the most amazing pieces of fan art/music in the fandom itself. I think that everyone, no matter who you are, has quirks that make us all unique from each other, I don't think having quirks is specific only to bronies. 

• Brohoof 4

As in every large group of induviduals, there are people with different personalitys and habits. Some bronies fit better in this general stereotype of geek with no friends and pimpled face. Others can be complete opposite, being athletic,outgoing and not intersted in computers and games at all. Bronies can be very heterogeneous croup since only link between them can be loving MLP. But yes, stereotypies tend to have some thuth in them.

In generally one could presume that bronies, like members in every other fandom would be little more quirky and less talented in social situations. But bad hygiene? Nah, doubt that. Most of us are "normal" working people who wouldn't stand out in bus stop.

• Brohoof 2

I'm all of the above, sadly. So... maybe some are and some are not?

34 minutes ago, Cash In said:

It seems to be a stereotype. While those things may apply to some, it definitely doesn't to most.

I've met bronies who are quirky, but have relatively good hygiene. I am yet to meet one that has all three of those qualities in unison.

Keep in mind that being quirky and socially awkward are essentially traits.  Hygiene to an extent can be controlled.

So no, I don't believe that it is true.

Well, here you go. I am all of the above. (Well, maybe not bad hygiene... But when it comes to brushing my teeth on a regular basis... I have a poor memory, alright?) I also find it ironic that I am autistic (high functioning, but the disorder is barely there), which is a stereotype of this fandom. (That all bronies are autistic.)

As long as its a convention I can believe the bad hygiene one, but even then most people shower daily.

Considering how many conventions this fandom puts on, which is a social event in itself, I find the possibility of all or even a majority of bronies being socially awkward to be slim.

• Brohoof 1

Sometimes, this is just an exaggeration people use as a means of portraying fandoms in such a manner so as to ridicule them and label them as dregs on society. Sadly, there are some in this fandom who do portray themselves as much though I doubt they do it deliberately.

Some of us are like that, some aren't. I fulfill two out of three of the criteria for being a stereotypical brony; that is, I'm socially awkward and quirky, but in general I have pretty good hygiene (at least I think I do... :huh:).

Only thing I hate about facial hair is having to constantly shave all my neck hair. (Mustache is fine, but everything else on my face, especially the neck is a b**** to deal with, given my ticklish reactions. :dry:

• Brohoof 1

I, for one, smell like beef.

Also what a dumb concept to ask people to talk about their personal hygiene — those with bad hygiene will lie, and those with good hygiene probably don’t feel the need to prove it to anyone. Use your own judgment.

Edited by Spider Man
  • Brohoof 2

7 hours ago, zerozoner said:

As long as its a convention I can believe the bad hygiene one, but even then most people shower daily.

Considering how many conventions this fandom puts on, which is a social event in itself, I find the possibility of all or even a majority of bronies being socially awkward to be slim.

That second thing you said about cons is very interesting. When I've attended some Brony cons, I lost count of the number of people that started out on check-in day or the first day being highly socially awkward. As the con got going and they got comfortable, most would start to open up and it was like they were a whole new person. It's a inspiring transformation that I've heard has helped some after the con be a little less shy and awkward in other social situations. Not a seismic shift, but progress nonetheless. 

It's why I highly recommend the con experience to any socially awkward, shy, or uber introverted fan. 

• Brohoof 2

It's just a stereotype. As for me: I fit two of the three.  I'm  definitely socially awkward, and quirky.

My hygiene isn't good at the moment, but it isn't really bad either. I don't really smell bad at all, just haven't been keeping tabs on it that much. Sometimes I don't shave for a few days, or shower for a week or so (doesn't really affect me that much, since I don't do much physically).

• Brohoof 1

Just a stereotypical belief. I don't know what other people think of me, but I don't think that I'm socially awkward, and I try to always maintain a clean body. I shower twice a day - once in the morning, and once after the gym. That said, being socially awkward isn't necessarily a bad thing. 

• Brohoof 1