Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler MLP generation 5: Mane 6 not the main characters? New main characters?

heavens-champion

I heard people say that the leaks said that there will be entirely new main characters for generation 5.

This is what this person said:

"Okay, there is one BIG problem with this piece, and I've noticed this problem persisting almost every time Gen 5 gets brought up.

The Mane Six are NOT the main characters of G5.
It was stated multiple times in the leaks that G5 will have a whole new cast of main characters. The only significance of the Mane 6 redesigns featured in the leaks is just to test out the new artstyle, since they haven't even created the new characters for G5 yet. Now, it could be possible that the characters that were once the Mane 6 will show up as supporting or background characters in G5, but it has already been reiterated time and time again that they will not be the main characters."

It was comment on an EQD article about G5.

This is the one:

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2018/03/my-little-pony-generation-5-what-we.html

Edited just now by heavens-champion

Doesn't one of the emails specifically address updating Applejack's background and personality? Also if they are testing new design styles, why would they tweak their races? That doesn't make much logical sense. 

• Brohoof 4

15 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

I heard people say that the leaks said that there will be entirely new main characters for generation 5.

This is what this person said:

"Okay, there is one BIG problem with this piece, and I've noticed this problem persisting almost every time Gen 5 gets brought up.

It was stated multiple times in the leaks that G5 will have a whole new cast of main characters. The only significance of the Mane 6 redesigns featured in the leaks is just to test out the new artstyle, since they haven't even created the new characters for G5 yet. Now, it could be possible that the characters that were once the Mane 6 will show up as supporting or background characters in G5, but it has already been reiterated time and time again that they will not be the main characters."

It was comment on an EQD article about G5.

This is the one:

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2018/03/my-little-pony-generation-5-what-we.html

Edited just now by heavens-champion

They're a new Mane 6, much like how, like how each Transformers franchise are based on a new team despite being based on existing characters. A new generation means new takes on characters we know(or, well, a reboot). We see this happen to Transformers all the time, and they've done the same with MLP, only this time it looks like they're using FiM as a template

I still say the drama surrounding this is the result of the FiM fandom being new to this sort of thing

Edited by Alvin Yakitori
  • Brohoof 1

The mane 6 will be the main characters of the next generation, as all the concept art and talk about changing their species is all revolving around the mane 6

3 hours ago, Jeric said:

Doesn't one of the emails specifically address updating Applejack's background and personality? Also if they are testing new design styles, why would they tweak their races? That doesn't make much logical sense. 

I gotta agree here, if the mane 6 weren't going to be the main characters of the new show, then why would they even bother messing with their species? Hasbro wouldn't want to give the main characters up either as they're basically the face of the franchise, and it would be hard to try to re-build the success they've had with the current mane 6 with a completely new and different mane 6. When it comes to these types of things, you know that Hasbro will always take the safe route. 

• Brohoof 1

Regardless of their plans, I have to be quite honest: I would rather they have a new cast, rather than reusing the standard group we've come to know and love. I get that this is probably a matter of the Mane 6 having more marketing power, but regardless, I would like there to be a new group of characters, rather than a retread of the ones. Basically, I would like Gen 5 to feel like Gen 5, not Gen 4.5.

• Brohoof 4

3 hours ago, FirePuppy said:

We won't know for sure until after it's ruled official by the staff. For now, they're all just rumors.

Yes and no. It isn't official, but it isn't a rumor either. The .emi files were legitimate internal communications from Hasbro employees. What is more appropriate to say is that, it's too early to suggest that these proof of concept designs and discussions will be what they green light. 

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

Couldn't new characters just mean new personnalities? :dash: I don't care if it are new characters, or old ones, but I think it is strange how they already showed the new mane 6 in the g5 style, while they are not the main characters. 

It's funny, because SOME of the core G3 characters are Mane6 this one, and others are cuties. True, it's not greenlit as far as we know, but the Mane6 gained marketing power for ponies, so they may put them again in G5, or mix them with some new ones, but we have to wait to know for sure 

• Brohoof 1

THANK GOODNESS. I feel so much better about gen 5 now. I was worried they would slightly alter the characters we know and love and make the new generation out of them. Now I can rest easy knowing they will be new characters!

• 2 years later...
On 3/10/2018 at 3:50 PM, Jeric said:

I agree but one of the things that maybe the reason is that if they go for that style but don't want the G4's mane cast as the mane cast for G5 they can asily plop them in the backgrounds without having to worry about giving nodds to them later down the line. Like maybe G5 Apple Jack wo't be a mane charcter but simply a reoccuring one to the point where they need to have her basic background info.

idfk but those are just ideas of what could be. I agree with your original thoughts though.

That's actually good. With all our love to mane 6, they were here for 8 years, it's time for new characters. Otherwise gen 5 would be just a spin-off but not gen 5

Let's just hope new characters will be good

New characters would be neat though it means I’ll either like it or not.  Characters are what get me into a show. 

I feel like it’s going to be existing characters with a new take tbh though. 

Is love new characters. I've been in the fandom from between season one and two and I have followed the mane six journey for years but they had their story completed and closed. I'm satisfied with the result and think they deserve a much needed break after the main adventure and all the spinoffs. I'll be curious to see the new characters. It's way better than tiring the mane six characters to the point of becoming another simpsons or something of the sort, let them rest in the good note they left.

If you only became a Brony because of the Mane 6, them... You are screwed for G5.

I became a Brony because of CMC's interesting story and the design of the ponies as well as the songs.

I am screwed because the G5 movie will be computer animated :yeahno:

.  ..hoping it will be a whole new mane cast.  New characters to meet and 😙💞! New ⛴🚢🛳🛥 to build and enjoy.😜  besides, what is the even the point of having a show finale just to bring the same characters right back?:mlp_huh: