Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S08:E11 - Molt Down

Will Guide

The Molt Down  

107 users have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the episode?

• This episode stinks worse than the Molt Smell (HATE IT!)
    • This episode makes me break out in itchy red spots. (Dislike it)
    • This episode was OKAY! Sorry, volume shifts (Meh)
    • This episode adds a splash of color to my day (Like it)
    • Like Spike can now, this episode SOARS! (LOVE IT!)

4 minutes ago, MAIKUN said:

That's my opinion man.....He should've say goodbye to them by leaving Ponyville for good....

Wrong. FIM ain't that type of show, neither is Pony culture. Twilight cares too much for Spike to let him venture out alone.

• Brohoof 7

2 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Wrong. FIM ain't that type of show, neither is Pony culture. Twilight cares too much for Spike to let him venture out alone.

Well, this season should've be......It doesn't matter at all actually.

This is the best Spike episode ever.

We always wondered why Spike didn't have any wings like his other Dragon companions and this episode finally delivers that answer. It was really great and with that said, the appearance of Peewee signify that change about growing up. Spike definitely looks great with the new pair of wings and with new flying abilities. I can't imagine the earlier fanart and merchandise now depicting the wingless Spike!  

Of course, that represents growing up and facing those changes with time. It may of been embarrassing or uncomfortable but at the same time with change, there's something good and new with it. We can see that Spike has grown both in Character and now he has physically grown too. 

I really enjoyed this fine episode because it can really relate to anyone who's finding their place, growing up, facing new challenges, embracing change and accepting who you really are. 

• Brohoof 5

3 minutes ago, Star Light said:

This is the best Spike episode ever.

We always wondered why Spike didn't have any wings like his other Dragon companions and this episode finally delivers that answer. It was really great and with that said, the appearance of Peewee signify that change about growing up. Spike definitely looks great with the new pair of wings and with new flying abilities. I can't imagine the earlier fanart and merchandise now depicting the wingless Spike!  

Of course, that represents growing up and facing those changes with time. It may of been embarrassing or uncomfortable but at the same time with change, there's something good and new with it. We can see that Spike has grown both in Character and now he has physically grown too. 

I really enjoyed this fine episode because it can really relate to anyone who's finding their place, growing up, facing new challenges, embracing change and accepting who you really are. 

I oughta know. I still have my Build-A-Bear Spike. I want to craft some wings for him, but I lack the knowledge to sew them together.

• Brohoof 2

Yay, a princess Spike episode – about time! 

Definitely one of the best episodes of the season in my book. A great mix of humor, action, lore and interesting characters interactions. I also liked that it had a bunch of references to old episodes.

And now I wonder who’s gonna get wings next.

• Brohoof 4

11 minutes ago, Oleks said:

Yay, a princess Spike episode – about time! 

Definitely one of the best episodes of the season in my book. A great mix of humor, action, lore and interesting characters interactions. I also liked that it had a bunch of references to old episodes.

And now I wonder who’s gonna get wings next.

Don't even bet on Starlight becoming Princess. She wouldn't want a castle in the town she founded.

6 minutes ago, MAIKUN said:

The point is: He should've just left Ponyville in order to be with Ember....make sense right?

But he's got an episode coming up involving another family member;

Spoiler

His dad.

Plus, he's got too many enemies in the Dragon Lands: namely Garble and his bunch!

• Brohoof 4

15 minutes ago, MAIKUN said:

Well, this season should've be......It doesn't matter at all actually.

It does matter. FIM's proactive and optimistic. Kicking Spike out of Twilight's home is the equivalent to Twilight kicking out a child. Pony culture nurtures the child, and evicting Spike would bastardize Twilight's character.

Seriously, you called for the CMCs to disband and reject their marks ever since S5, and you're so desperate for Starlight to turn evil again. Are you going to obsess over this, too?

• Brohoof 8

I was afraid that Zecora was going to have either a couple of lines of dialogue, a few minutes of screen time, a non-speaking cameo, or a mixture of these factors. I'm glad that she was given such an integral presence and one that reminds us that she really needs to make more appearances. As expected though, this episode has changed the status quo by giving Spike his own wings though one has to wonder why they waited until now given how much time has passed in the show's world and doing so close to the halfway point of the season. Granted, so many possibilities have now been opened for Spike meaning that his life is never going to be the same again.

Also surprised that we finally got see a Roc make an appearance given how other mythical creatures did so way earlier in the show's run. Peewee's cameo near the beginning was unexpected but appreciated as it adds consistency as well as reaffirming that time does pass in Equestria--despite some inconsistency there. Good thing that Smolder was around to explain what was happening to Spike though this does come at the cost of her being used for exposition purposes, yet it shows as well that the 'Student Six' are more than capable of handling scenes where they aren't all together.

Spike struggling to fly upon getting his wings was a smart move on the staff's part as having him simply fly perfectly on his first attempt would have made it hard to believe--Twilight's first flight in Magical Mystery Cure comes to mind here--so perhaps he should get some flying lessons from an experienced flyer. Maybe Rainbow Dash will teach him some tricks? Speaking of the wings, it's a shame that we didn't get to see the rest of the cast's reaction to them as no doubt it will happen off-screen but once again time constraints rears its ugly head as you can only do so much in twenty-two minutes.

If I had one complaint, it would be some of the shouting jokes got a little annoying. I can only take so much of that before it becomes cringe inducing but this is something that can be shrugged off easily. One point I'd like to mention as well is what was said about Spike possibly undergoing further changes now that he is growing up naturally and not through another force--fantastic reference to his greed induced adult state by the way. This is only the beginning of what he is about to go through so perhaps we might see another change before the series reaches its inevitable conclusion?

I'll give this episode 98%.

• Brohoof 8

3 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

It does matter. FIM's proactive and optimistic. Kicking Spike out of Twilight's home is the equivalent to Twilight kicking out a child. Pony culture nurtures the child, and evicting Spike would bastardize Twilight's character.

Seriously, you called for the CMCs to disband and reject their marks ever since S5, and you're so desperate for Starlight to turn evil again. Are you going to obsess over this, too?

Get this through your head....It doesn't matter: It won't bastardize Twilight's character at all.

(edited)
1 minute ago, MAIKUN said:

I'm NOT a mouse! I'm just telling the truth OK?

If you had ANY knowledge of the Beast Wars like I do, that is the wrong response! It is really "Oh, yeah? Well, why don't you make me, Lizard Lips!"

Edited by YoshiAngemon

(edited)
3 minutes ago, MAIKUN said:

I bet some of the fans are disappointed that Spike has wings now.....

You're just as bad as Shadow the Hedgehog in some of @SaburoDaimando's Videos! He was disappointed with the CMCs getting their Cutie Marks, and he was SORE about Starlight Glimmer's redemption that he would rather she get banished to TARTARUS, alongside Lord Tirek! You know what, Daimando? YOU NEED TO HAVE SHADOW MEET LORD TIREK! Yeah, let the Ultimate Life Form fight against the Magic-Draining Centaur, and maybe absorb his Chaos Energy to become "CHAOS Tirek!"

Edited by YoshiAngemon
  • Brohoof 1

Okay, let's step back and relax for a moment all. This is a rather absurd thing to start fighting about. We all know Twilight isn't removing Spike from the picture. It would make no sense at all. It's been countered excellently, so let's move on and discuss what this means for our favorite dragon ... realistically.

• Brohoof 8

3 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Okay, let's step back and relax for a moment all. This is a rather absurd thing to start fighting about. We all know Twilight isn't removing Spike from the picture. It would make no sense at all. It's been countered excellently, so let's move on and discuss what this means for our favorite dragon ... realistically.

I guess you're right Jeric. I shouldn't be fighting then. Fighting is bad.

Just now, MAIKUN said:

I guess you're right Jeric. I shouldn't be fighting then. Fighting is bad.

Agreed, and the Abilify I'm on isn't even helping the situation any, at all. I'm starting to sound like Shadow the Hedgehog in Daimando's videos.

One word to describe it all: puberty

MLPFIM keeps pushing the envelope with this stuff. Woo! Now, kids can get a great perspective of what puberty is, and how to approach it...though one of the things to dread are the attitude changes and thoughts of entitlement...but power for the course...life is a journey so...

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Damn, the fight scene was way cooler than I thought it could be, probably the best since Twilight VS Tirek, cool stuff.

Aside from that, this was a pretty good episode, really fun stuff, good lesson and great animation. One of the best this season

Edited by RyanMahaffe
  • Brohoof 5

I never saw this coming, but as many have noted spike is 'growing up'.

The only thing I'm wondering about is when Scoot-a-loo will be able to fly, and when that happens, will she keep her scooter? (which will keep her name appropriate)

Yay, Spike became an alicorn. ^_^ I honestly really liked how well his molting represented puberty. While I'm aware it's commonplace for kids shows to write characters going through changes that have parallels to puberty, I was impressed that they even gave a nod to things like awkward vocal chord shifts and messed up sleeping patterns. The little girls of today are lucky to get to know this stuff from cartoons earlier than I did. I thought it was odd how Spike still thought Twilight would actually kick him out after all they've been through, and as usual, I got weary of Zecora's rhymes, but seeing Spike grow wings and actually fight off a creature with his own power for once was awesome. This was the perfect episode for showing how well Spike's character has developed. :proud:

• Brohoof 4