Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Adult MLP show.

CastletonSnob

As much as I want to play the devil's advocate and say that I would love to see something like that, I'm not sure if it should actually happen. There are already plenty of good adult parodies of MLP on the internet, and with TV dying, I don't think it would be realistic for a TV show like that to strike gold. Also, while I can imagine Hasbro wanting their brand to be represented by something somewhat darker in the future, I don't think I could ever imagine them wanting a kid's toyline to be represented by ponies swearing and doing violent, naughty things. :laugh:

(edited)

Rainbow Dash allowed to be a drunk would be pretty funny with her current reckless side. So drunk she can't fly home, crashes into someone's bedroom, and sleep there for the night.

Fluttershy allowed to be an animal hoarder.

Starlight Glimmer jokes she can use mind control magic to compel anyone to do anything. Even imply certain scenarios.

Politics of the princesses' role of failing to protect the kingdom.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

It doesn't sound like something that I would fully enjoy, considering the nature of MLP in general. If it existed, I would take a glace at it out of curiosity, but I'd draw the line there. 

Edited by Cash In
  • Brohoof 3

I've watched some parodies that fit along those lines, but for an actual MLP show, well, that's not what it is. It's the wrong tone. I'd watch a show that's more complex, but not needlessly adult. 

I mean, it depends on how appropriately used the violence, swearing and sex jokes are. As a person who has watched TV-MA shows and genuinely liked them, they tend to use their label wisely. As long as this adult MLP show isn’t needlessly over the top just to prove that “Ooo! MLP being edgy” isn’t the plot. The only reason any show should be TV-MA is because these themes occur frequently,  not because the whole show’s existence depends on it. As long as that wasn’t abused, I can see myself enjoying it.

That being said, I don’t know how’d I would feel if it was a replacement to MLP, mainly because the reason I watch MLP is specifically to get away to a sweet, soft world where all the adult problems can’t exist. I think if I had to choose between MLP and Adult MLP, I would most certainly pick the former.

No way, and please don't make this a reality. :please: 

I for one wouldn't watch it for sure, I watch the MLP because it's charming and friendly, it doesn't over complicate things, it's just a good and bright cartoon. :) Making it TV-MA would be a no-go for me, sorry to burst the bubble. :blush:

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Wannabrony said:

No way, and please don't make this a reality. :please: 

I for one wouldn't watch it for sure, I watch the MLP because it's charming and friendly, it doesn't over complicate things, it's just a good and bright cartoon. :) Making it TV-MA would be a no-go for me, sorry to burst the bubble. :blush:

17+ is a no for me, and I know I would love the all ages friendly cartoon that captivated my attention more to begin with... however, a spinoff in the same realm, TV14, I think I could get a kick out of, we wouldn't have interactions with the mane cast ever, maybe only reference, and possibly could expand upon more violent story based plot lines that include scenarios outside of equestrian politics and jurisdiction, Yakyakistan, the dragonlands, etc, it could create some type of familiarity, subtle young adult humor, aggressive tones, but with an adorable protagonist, and other childish comical quirks, I could really see that in a lot of places, it doesnt mean make it a s*** show, IE(drawn together) it means that there is something cute about cute protagonists that stand past their expectation and projections..

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I might take a look out of curiosity (and honestly MLP has already pushed the boundaries a lot such as Fluttershy and Rarity getting drunk off Pinaple juice in the comcis or the death tree infecting Zecora) but I fear it would just not work out. Either we'd get something like the movie where a fart joke cropped up near the begining (unless I'm mixing up my movies) or it'd wind up like the Riverdale series which feels like they grabbed the names of the Archie characters and shoehorned them into a crime series to draw fans. If done right it could work well (say something like friends, how I met your mother or a similar sitcom where while the events are there the focus is still on characters and interactions rather than oh we be edgy now) but I fear it would not be done well.

Edited by Senko

I wouldn't mind a more adult show if it was done with some style and cleverness in the writing. But as soon as the writers get a free hand they'd inevitably use it as an excuse to go too far and turn it into a cruddy mess like so many modern cartoons that rely on 5th grade humor instead of sly innuendo and subtlety. So as much as I'd enjoy a show for an older audience, I wouldn't vote for it because of the predictable, low-level reality of what would likely come to be.  

(edited)

I'd rather see an adult show that has good writing and a good story. The fanfic Black Feather would be a great example of that.

Edited by vgmaster9

• 2 weeks later...

Wait, do you want an Adult MLP show, or one full of sex, violence, and swearing? As much as media ratings want to tell you those are the same thing, in my opinion they are not. That kind of stuff is more 'Adolescent' than 'Adult' to me. :) 

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, I feel that an adult MLP show would just turn into The Simpsons, Family Guy, and South Park down the road. After sooooo long and soooooo many seasons, the show would lose its entertainment. Also, like others have said, it wouldn't fit into the friendly nature MLP has now. 

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, A Cynical Millenial said:

Honestly, adult and MLP do not really fit together well. Just look at what you see with the 18+ filter on Derpibooru. Yuck.

To be fair if they did release an adult My Little Pony I doubt the writers/animators would go the same way that I suspect that board has.

6 minutes ago, Senko said:

To be fair if they did release an adult My Little Pony I doubt the writers/animators would go the same way that I suspect that board has.

I don't even think what they do on there would be ALLOWED on TV.

On 7/4/2018 at 5:30 AM, VG_Addict said:

Would you watch a TV-MA rated MLP show meant for older fans, with violence, sex jokes and swearing?

Hi, as this discussion is about a hypothetical new show and not the one we currently watch, it has been moved to Sugarcube Corner.

• Brohoof 1

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:53 PM, Singe said:

Rainbow Dash allowed to be a drunk would be pretty funny with her current reckless side. So drunk she can't fly home, crashes into someone's bedroom, and sleep there for the night.

Fluttershy allowed to be an animal hoarder.

Starlight Glimmer jokes she can use mind control magic to compel anyone to do anything. Even imply certain scenarios.

Politics of the princesses' role of failing to protect the kingdom.

They already have a drunk character on the show when Twilight Sparkle was trying to talk to her and that name happens to be Berry Punch!!!

(edited)

You know it just hit me in most of the other cities we see (Manehattan, Canterlot, Appleloosa, Las Pegasus) the majority of Ponies wear clothes unlike Ponyville. I have a nasty feeling if there was an adult MLP show Ponyville would be explicitly stated to be a nudist colony.

Edited by Senko