Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

EQG shorts on drugs/alcohol peer pressure.

CastletonSnob

To be honest they could deal with peer pressure outside of alcohol & drugs. Besides, even with the best of intentions by Hasbro, they would likely be accused of trying to influence kids to actually do that stuff by those a tad too sensitive. :/

• Brohoof 4

1 hour ago, PathfinderCS said:

To be honest they could deal with peer pressure outside of alcohol & drugs. Besides, even with the best of intentions by Hasbro, they would likely be accused of trying to influence kids to actually do that stuff by those a tad too sensitive. :/

Agreed.

I mean, I can see them doing an episode about peer pressure, though I can't really see them doing it with drugs/alcohol, mostly because of how non-family friendly that is, and Hasbro is all about being as family friendly as possible. But that doesn't mean that they wouldn't be able to tackle the topic of peer pressure, they could easily substitute drugs and alcohol for something else if they needed to, or have the peer presser be about something completely different, like a concert or something comes to town and some students want say, Fluttershy to come with them but she doesn't want to, only to give in to peer pressure. That kinda stuff I could see them working with, and they could easily build more of a story into that situation as well.      

Equestria Girls has been very clean for the most part, and even though "Rollercoaster of Friendship" showed us just how much they can get away with, I still think a plotline centred around drugs and/or alcohol would be too much of a risk for the show, even though I think this series could handle those topics really well if it wanted to. The whole peer pressure angle, as important as it clearly is, strikes me as a touch uptight and cliched, and I'd be a lot more interested in a somewhat more measured and progressive take on drugs and alcohol - you know, moderation and responsibility and all that - which of course the show could never get away with. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
Just now, AlexanderThrond said:

Equestria Girls has been very clean for the most part, and even though "Rollercoaster of Friendship" showed us just how much they can get away with, I still think a plotline centred around drugs and/or alcohol would be too much of a risk for the show, even though I think this series could handle those topics really well if it wanted to. The whole peer pressure angle, as important as it clearly is, strikes me as a touch uptight and cliched, and I'd be a lot more interested in a somewhat more measured and progressive take on drugs and alcohol - you know, moderation and responsibility and all that - which of course the show could never get away with. 

What’d they get away with?

Edited by Totally Nye
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
2 hours ago, Totally Nye said:

What’d they get away with?

#bangs

If you haven't seen the special, and don't mind it being spoiled...

Spoiler

There's a brief joke where Applejack doesn't understand why a video in which the villain acts deliberately sexy has a bajillion views. 

Edited by AlexanderThrond

(edited)

Peer pressure can be involved with anything. So if hasbro wants to teach kids about  not falling into peer pressure they could have the characters fallen into temptation. 

Edited by TBD

They would never be able to do this because this society is now under the general mindset that simply acknowledging something is endorsing it or making fun of it. Like how if you dare have a character with a mental disorder, society just takes it as making fun of said disorder. So yeah, society is stupid and Hasbro just cannot risk it with the idiots that would sue.

On 7/10/2018 at 3:26 PM, AlexanderThrond said:

#bangs

If you haven't seen the special, and don't mind it being spoiled...

Reveal hidden contents

There's a brief joke where Applejack doesn't understand why a video in which the villain acts deliberately sexy has a bajillion views. 

I think that one bounced off me. Didn't notice that until I rewatched the scene.

I think they will explore this, "Gilda" type aspect, a character that is not exactly "bad" per say but an awful influence.. and Sunset will have her suspicions, and one of the mane six will be heart strong on why the others/she is wrong about them, until she takes a prank, or misdeed to far..

Nah I didn’t think much of it, that’s how everyone I know poses and I think it’s dumb. I was confused as Applejack was.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the above. Plus, if this version of the Human world did exist in some alternate universe, and if you actually went through a portal and traveled to there, I have a few examples of what might not exist there:

- Racism

- Sexual violence

- War

- Discrimination or prejudice of any kind

- Same-sex relationships (possible, but not impossible)

- Drugs and alcohol

The part of the EQG world we do see lacks all of the above, as its target audience is little girls. There is no reason to believe that all these points above materialize into the world outside of the parts/areas we see in Equestria Girls.

(edited)
On 7/10/2018 at 12:38 PM, Kyoshi said:

They would never be able to do this because this society is now under the general mindset that simply acknowledging something is endorsing it or making fun of it. Like how if you dare have a character with a mental disorder, society just takes it as making fun of said disorder. So yeah, society is stupid and Hasbro just cannot risk it with the idiots that would sue.

Precisely. Society is so hypocritical. I had a friend that wanted a non-binary character introduced into a TV show she watches - in fact, she joined a protest to have a non-binary character appear in said series. But once the company introduced a non-binary character (and did so in a respectful manner; no one knew that character was non-binary for many episodes in), the fans went berserk, calling the writers "racists" and "bigots" and that they were "making fun of non-binary represented". A representative of the company asked the fans what they would like to see. The fans said they wanted a non-binary character, where the only part about them is that they are non-binary. (ie a shallow character.) The company granted the fans their wish at last, and then the fans complained that the non-binary person was being "misrepresented", and that they needed to be like that they were like before. The TV show (cannot remember the name...) was shut down a week later.

Edited by Melody2222

I hope not. Shorts focusing on such things are rarely ever good because everything becomes far too patronizing far too quickly. I don't like longer subplots about it either. I mean, Buffy the Vampire Slayer used magic addiction instead of drug addiction, and those episodes weren't exactly strong IMO. MLP being aimed at a younger audience than Buffy, they have to be even less subtle about it and I just can't see that going well. Peer pressure, well, they could probably do it but the Humane Seven don't seem all that likely to indulge in it, and using a different character to showcase it...I'm not convinced it would turn out well.