Jump to content
Banner by ~ SFyr

Why do they put up with Discord?


 Share

Recommended Posts

So, why do the Mane Six put up with Discord, again? He ruined the Gala and almost threw Tree Hugger into another dimension, made Twilight feel left out by bonding with her friends, and threw a shitfit by wrecking the school and annoying Starlight because he was upset that he wasn't included in the school. They should tell him to fuck off. He's been given plenty of chances, but he always goes back to his old ways. 

  • Brohoof 2
  • teacup 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


He is discord, he's a character of the show and despite all your complaining, he is not going anywhere. Plus, I think he's a pretty good character, without him the show wouldn't be as fascinating as it is. Also, John De Lancie.

  • Brohoof 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


I only ever have two words for the likes of Discord: mana burn. Problem = removed. Forever. I mean, he can do anything, except spell block & status removal. And he has a lot of magic. Too bad offensive anti-magic is a big no-no since it would hardcounter everything. Sigh.

 

Anyhow, Discord is around cause demand. They were like: Hey, that Star Wars Snake Dude is popular. Let's keep him around. And that is why we need to suffer his presence.

  • Brohoof 1
  • Excited 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Because you can't exactly easily tell a super powerful spirit of Chaos who can warp reality with a snap to just "Go away" very easily. Also, because they've seen he has good in him and isn't completely awful.

 Keep in mind, before Fluttershy, Discord has literally never had a friend, apparently. He's literally learning the most basic things of friendship with ponies now, after spending his whole life probably seeing them as nothing but his playthings. He's also been shown to be incredibly insecure, fearing he's going to lose Shy's friendship to Tree Hugger, getting upset that Spike and Big Mac don't think he's cool, feeling left out of the school when nopony invited him. He's like a little kid, when he feels isolated he lashes out, isolating him further would only just make that worse probably, and unless they want to turn him to stone again, which is a horrifically cruel fate for someone who's clearly not totally evil anymore, there's not much else to do. Episodes like "Discordant Harmony" and "The Break up, Break down" clearly show his softer side. Plus, he helped save Equestria once too, and he clearly cares about Fluttershy a ton, and he seems to be getting closer with Spike and Big Mac too.

Also, if you want to be friends with the "Spirit of Chaos and Disharmony" you probably have to be willing to put up with some Chaos and Disharmony.

  • Brohoof 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Discord has to still utilize his chaotic nature otherwise he would fade away to nothing and be lost forever. Sure, he can be annoying at times due to his wanting to manipulate others just so that he can get a laugh out of it, but he's proven to be a reliable friend when needed--also when it best suits his needs. Besides, having a being who can bend the fabric of reality on a whim is better than being an enemy.

  • Brohoof 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Because Celestia believes that he could be an ally in times of crisis. (And as long as Fluttershy is there, he definitely will be)

But I think the most important reason is that Celestia wanted to break the cycle. Every thousand years or so Discord will break free from his stone prison, and one day there will be a generation of ponies who will fail in turning Discord back into stone, and then the world will be at the mercy of an unreformed Lord of Chaos.

 

Edited by JH24
  • Brohoof 2
  • Excited 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Badges

Well he is Discord and his element is chaos so you can't expect him to not cause even the slightest amount.

Also, The Mane 6 try to give everyone a chance if they see even a small amount of potential.

  • Brohoof 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Honestly you try and be loveable as Discord. He's a spirit of chaos he never asked to be born all he knew from the moment of his existence was chaos and disharmony, then after doing what his nature intended him to do, he was punished by being turned to stone for 1000 years!! He broke free and after resuming his purpose was punished again!! it was only after finally learning about friendship that a major mental breakthrough was achieved and even so there were bumps and hurdles to cross in his progress heck he even got tricked by Tirek along the way. Since it's impossible to walk a mile in his mismatched shoes try to understand his mental dilemma he may well never fit in (A personality trait we both share) but let's not forget his loyalty to Fluttershy he put everything on the line for her because she gave him a chance and now he's made new friends. Big Mac, Spike, Trixie, Starlight, the mane six and even Thorax are progress of his ongoing reform he might not ever "get there" so to speak but he's trying to better himself like he said (to himself) "Fluttershy makes us a better Drakonoquist" 

let's also keep in mind that Trixie, Starlight and Tempest are all ponies so it's highly irrelevant to compare their reform to Discord so don't bother.

Call me selfish but I identify with Discord and will defend him with a passion.:umad:

And yes I'm aware of the irony of defending Discord with Fluttershy as my profile pic lol :squee:

Edited by Kind Claw
  • Brohoof 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Badges

I agree with most of the above that because he's a chaotic being, he does not always does what's expected of him. To him, being predictable is boring.

On 8/18/2018 at 1:49 PM, JH24 said:

Because Celestia believes that he could be an ally in times of crisis. (And as long as Fluttershy is there, he definitely will be)

But I think the most important reason is that Celestia wanted to break the cycle. Every thousand years or so Discord will break free from his stone prison, and one day there will be a generation of ponies who will fail in turning Discord back into stone, and then the world will be at the mercy of an unreformed Lord of Chaos.

 

And he didn't originally break free of his stone because of any time limit NOR because of the CMC, Celestia pointed out that it's because once Celestia and Luna lost their connection to the Elements of Harmony when Luna became Nightmare Moon, Discord prison slowly started to weaken over all those years.

  • Brohoof 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • 3 years later...
On 2018-08-24 at 9:11 AM, Will Gazzzze said:

I agree with most of the above that because he's a chaotic being, he does not always does what's expected of him. To him, being predictable is boring.

And he didn't originally break free of his stone because of any time limit NOR because of the CMC, Celestia pointed out that it's because once Celestia and Luna lost their connection to the Elements of Harmony when Luna became Nightmare Moon, Discord prison slowly started to weaken over all those years.

in the nightmare moon timeline Discord was still stone so Nightmare moon/Luna and celetia was still connected to the element of harmony

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Badges

I've been asking myself that ever since after Season Four. I had a crazy dream about that once. I was in the castle meeting room with the Mane Six and we were just sitting there listening to Discord's sarcasm and unfunny fourth-wall breaking that he does. He started to personally attack me for hanging around with ponies and actually called the Mane Six ugly to their faces. That pushed it too far for me. I put my hand up and indicated him to come over to me. He leaned in and I said in the most threatening way possible, 'Any more of that rubbish comes out of your mouth, I'm turning you back into stone, understand?' That shut him up and he just sulked and left the room. Rainbow Dash shouted 'Good riddance!' 

In all seriousness though, I feel that the further we got into the series, the more irritating he got. The last straw for me was the Grogar twist. That made him my second least favourite character in the show, behind the Student Six. 

  • Smile 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hug 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Badges

Discord often acts like an ass, but there's obviously someone decent on the inside. He's trying, so the Mane Six tolerate him for that reason. They usually call him out whenever he causes problems anyways, which is enough.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 hours ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

In all seriousness though, I feel that the further we got into the series, the more irritating he got. The last straw for me was the Grogar twist. That made him my second least favourite character in the show, behind the Student Six.

I cannot agree with you on that because as I said before in another topic if Discord hasn't taken a risk of bringing the Terrible Trio together (and to a lesser extent Sombra back) it wouldn't have ultimately led to all of Equestria (not just ponies) coming together to save our heroes and defeat the terrible Trio. Compare the very final episode to the first episode when we see Canterlot when the show began it was nothing but unicorns not much of any other ponies were there in the scene as well. But by the final episode about 20 years later plus however on the show has been going on not just ponies but dragons Griffins yaks hippogriffs and Changelings hanging out and interacting with each other.

on a bite of a side note I guess I'm too good of a person to automatically condemn people like the Student Six or Discord to hatred just because they're "poorly written" or have done some bad things in their past. Take Ariel The Little Mermaid who never should have made a deal with Ursula either;  did that automatically make her a bad person that everyone must hate? No!  If anything it caused Triton to rethink about his relationship with her and when he took her daughter's place in Ursula's contract, Ariel realize that her father really did care for her even after he destroyed everything she cared about in her grotto out a blind rage. And as a result thanks to both Ariel saving Eric and Eric saving Ariel, Ursula was ultimately defeated and not just Triton but everyone who ever went afoul of Ursala was saved.

My point is sometimes bad chaotic moments can actually lead to good things. Much like how in real life 9/11 and covid-19 has caused the people around the world to consider working together to get past the crisis. And that is why I can't stay mad at Discord and neither can the Mane 6. If they can forgive him then so can I

  • teacup 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


37 minutes ago, Will Gazzzze said:

I cannot agree with you on that because as I said before in another topic if Discord hasn't taken a risk of bringing the Terrible Trio together (and to a lesser extent Sombra back) it wouldn't have ultimately led to all of Equestria (not just ponies) coming together to save our heroes and defeat the terrible Trio. Compare the very final episode to the first episode when we see Canterlot when the show began it was nothing but unicorns not much of any other ponies were there in the scene as well. But by the final episode about 20 years later plus however on the show has been going on not just ponies but dragons Griffins yaks hippogriffs and Changelings hanging out and interacting with each other.

on a bite of a side note I guess I'm too good of a person to automatically condemn people like the Student Six or Discord to hatred just because they're "poorly written" or have done some bad things in their past. Take Ariel The Little Mermaid who never should have made a deal with Ursula either;  did that automatically make her a bad person that everyone must hate? No!  If anything it caused Triton to rethink about his relationship with her and when he took her daughter's place in Ursula's contract, Ariel realize that her father really did care for her even after he destroyed everything she cared about in her grotto out a blind rage. And as a result thanks to both Ariel saving Eric and Eric saving Ariel, Ursula was ultimately defeated and not just Triton but everyone who ever went afoul of Ursala was saved.

My point is sometimes bad chaotic moments can actually lead to good things. Much like how in real life 9/11 and covid-19 has caused the people around the world to consider working together to get past the crisis. And that is why I can't stay mad at Discord and neither can the Mane 6. If they can forgive him then so can I

Oh Will, always the defender. :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Badges

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Join the herd!

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...