Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

(edited)

Image result for mlp student six

Since the show introduced the Student Six and treated them as the main role for a whole season and some, I'm curious what you all think of them.

• If you like/dislike them, what do you like/dislike the most about them and why?
  • What distinct qualities and roles do you think they have apart from the Mane Six?
  • How the aspects above are depicted through the show?
  • What do you think of the future of Student Six?

No need to answer according to all of that, but those are just what I'm most curious about.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 3

Honestly?  

I think the show is gearing up to make them the New bearers of the Elements of Harmony.

The Mane Six's personal representations of their elements are GONE; we saw them shatter... but the students managed to coax the remnants of the Tree of Harmony to become the Magical Treehouse.  Each of the Mane Six has managed to accomplish their initial goals they set for themselves (Rarity's businesses, Twilight's ascendance, Fluttershy's sanctuary, Dash's Wonderbolt career, etc.), and thus have 'matured'.

They no longer personally NEED the elements themselves, because they've BECOME those elements in their lives.

Time to bring in the fresh talent - and with the ongoing theme of love & tolerance, it's time those elements were held by someone OTHER than just ponies.  It would be extremely fitting for the final episode(s) to see the School Six become the new bearers of the elements, passed down to them by their previous holders.

Heck, I'll bet you can even GUESS which students will get which elements! 

6 minutes ago, Randimaxis said:

Honestly?  

I think the show is gearing up to make them the New bearers of the Elements of Harmony.

The Mane Six's personal representations of their elements are GONE; we saw them shatter... but the students managed to coax the remnants of the Tree of Harmony to become the Magical Treehouse.  Each of the Mane Six has managed to accomplish their initial goals they set for themselves (Rarity's businesses, Twilight's ascendance, Fluttershy's sanctuary, Dash's Wonderbolt career, etc.), and thus have 'matured'.

They no longer personally NEED the elements themselves, because they've BECOME those elements in their lives.

Time to bring in the fresh talent - and with the ongoing theme of love & tolerance, it's time those elements were held by someone OTHER than just ponies.  It would be extremely fitting for the final episode(s) to see the School Six become the new bearers of the elements, passed down to them by their previous holders.

Heck, I'll bet you can even GUESS which students will get which elements! 

Yeah, it's quite obvious that the show is moving towards that direction.

• Brohoof 1

I can’t say I dislike them, but they are not on the top of the list of my favorite characters. Maybe except for Yona, she’s way too cute. I think they have potential individually and as a group, the best display of the former being Smolder’s role in Molt Down, and the latter – their bonding in their first episodes. Maybe it’s just me, but I think their potential hasn’t been fully realized in their episodes. All the components are there, by something is preventing them from having a really brilliant episode. But that’s just my personal opinion.

As for their future, I won’t be surprised if they formally replace the Mane Six as the Elements of Harmony, and I’m OK with that.

• Brohoof 2

I mean, they're all pretty adorable and it's not like they ever got an my nerves or anything.

Probably one thing I don't particularly like about them is that they might replace the Mane 6 but I guess all things come to an end. Other than that, their characters and behaviors seem to satisfy me and they all do look really cute together.:wub:

• Brohoof 3

I really enjoy the student six. It's nice to have a ready set of friends to make use of the mane six's lessons in friendship. I really love Smolder, and her deep dark secret love of frilly pretty things.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

To be perfectly fair they feel like a filler to me, like the show is trying to show diversity and that's how it does it. Doesn't mean I don't like them. My personal favorite is Yona, the others just don't click with me For some reason they are playing of Sandbar as a stupid one and I don't really like that.

Edited by R.D.Dash
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I like them just fine, but I think they were introduced far too late in the shows life. There just isn’t enough screen time to develop them anywhere close to our other main characters (Main Six, Spike, Starlight, CMC’s), but the attempt to do so is taking time away from characters that I think still have lots that can be done with them. 

Without giving any direct spoilers, the synopsis for future episodes seems to suggest that we are getting an individual episode for each of the students to pair up with one of the Main Six, maybe as a way to “pass the torch.” If that’s the case, it mean a solid 25% of the season is dedicated just to this concept, making up the seasonal arc, and that doesn’t even include episodes featuring the students as a group, like Uprooted.

If this wasn’t the final season, and there was the promise of future episodes, this wouldn’t even bother me. But the limited time left means the students are never going to be developed to my liking. And instead of using the little time left to work on characters I care more for and wrapping up all the loose ends of their arcs, all these episodes are being used to try and accomplish a goal I don’t think can even be satisfactorily met.

But despite this long winded negative rant... yeah, I do like them. I’m actually really looking forward to next weeks episode too. I just wish the show had more time.

Edited by ShootingStar159
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)
19 hours ago, Oleks said:

I can’t say I dislike them, but they are not on the top of the list of my favorite characters. Maybe except for Yona, she’s way too cute. I think they have potential individually and as a group, the best display of the former being Smolder’s role in Molt Down, and the latter – their bonding in their first episodes. Maybe it’s just me, but I think their potential hasn’t been fully realized in their episodes. All the components are there, by something is preventing them from having a really brilliant episode. But that’s just my personal opinion.

As for their future, I won’t be surprised if they formally replace the Mane Six as the Elements of Harmony, and I’m OK with that.

I think it would be way better if they are more specific about the characters. Not by giving them gimmicks like arachnophobia, sarcastic personality, racial distinctions. I mean by what you mentioned : Smolder's role as Spike's dragon sibling figure. I think they should focus and develop in a way that nobody else can replace them. Right now, I think either one can replace their role in the story of the show.

18 hours ago, Sondash Studios said:

I mean, they're all pretty adorable and it's not like they ever got an my nerves or anything.

Probably one thing I don't particularly like about them is that they might replace the Mane 6 but I guess all things come to an end. Other than that, their characters and behaviors seem to satisfy me and they all do look really cute together.:wub:

15 hours ago, Stormfurry said:

Cute and cute personalities. Double cute! That's is it. :darling:

8 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

I really enjoy the student six. It's nice to have a ready set of friends to make use of the mane six's lessons in friendship. I really love Smolder, and her deep dark secret love of frilly pretty things.

Good for you.

14 hours ago, PiratePony said:

I don't like them or their storylines, honestly.

Which part of the story you don't like?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
6 hours ago, ShootingStar159 said:

I like them just fine, but I think they were introduced far too late in the shows life. There just isn’t enough screen time to developer them anywhere close to our other main characters (Main Six, Spike, Starlight, CMC’s), but the attempt to do so is taking time away from characters that I think still have lots that can be done with them. 

Without giving any direct spoilers, the synopsis for future episodes seems to suggest that we are getting an individual episode for each of the students to pair up with one of the Main Six, maybe as a way to “pass the torch.” If that’s the case, it mean a solid 25% of the season is dedicated just to this concept, making up the seasonal arc, and that doesn’t even include episodes featuring the students as a group, like Uprooted.

If this wasn’t the final season, and there was the promise of future episodes, this wouldn’t even bother me. But the limited time left means the students are never going to be developed to my liking. And instead of using the little time left to work on characters I care more for and wrapping up all the loose ends of their arcs, all these episodes are being used to try and accomplish a goal I don’t think can even be satisfactorily met.

But despite this long winded negative rant... yeah, I do like them. I’m actually really looking forward to next weeks episode too. I just wish the show had more time.

Me personally, I think there are still lots of potential for the Mane Six to develop and be explored as a character. And I just don't get the justification of making mediocre episodes with new faces, if those are being the new main characters of the show. I don't especially annoyed that much about just mediocre episodes, but when it is done by replacing the Mane Six's limited screen time, I think the episodes should be great enough to justify that. Even if the show had 10 more seasons, I still consider it wasting time.

As characters I like them.

As a tool to push diversity forward, I'm ok with it.

What I don't like about them is the environment in which they were inserted and its consequences.

The school of friendship is a device that has helped Twilight, Starlight and Spike. But has pushed the rest of the main cast into very weird characterizations in order to make the students 6 look good.

Their very important role in S8's finale seems like a slap to the face on the CMC, who have not only learned about friendship across the whole series, but have also been acknowledged as a group of friends that the School of Friendship has nothing to teach them anymore.

• Brohoof 3

3 minutes ago, DonMaguz said:

As characters I like them.

As a tool to push diversity forward, I'm ok with it.

What I don't like about them is the environment in which they were inserted and its consequences.

The school of friendship is a device that has helped Twilight, Starlight and Spike. But has pushed the rest of the main cast into very weird characterizations in order to make the students 6 look good.

Their very important role in S8's finale seems like a slap to the face on the CMC, who have not only learned about friendship across the whole series, but have also been acknowledged as a group of friends that the School of Friendship has nothing to teach them anymore.

Do you think the characters and their stories are good enough to justify the environment? Is it more good than harm?

No, I don't like the Student Six. Call it as complaining but I personally don't feel the whole new cast of 6 characters to steal the show away from the actual Mane Six was the best decision. They are okay, but if I had a choice I would just have them removed like they never existed.

• Brohoof 1

of course, they are better, especially Yona is very tender and reminds me a lot of my dog. the griffin is very strange. The Griffins are not supposed to spit fire. which is very strange.

• Brohoof 1

I really like the Student 6. I always like new characters, because they have so much potential for growth and storytelling that we haven't seen yet. Also, Ocellus and Silverstream are really cute! :squee:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

They are fun, but I wasn't excited about them taking over the roles of the Mane 6 with the Tree if Harmony and all. They would worked better, in my opinion, if they were treated more like the CMC scenarios.

Edited by Totally Mirage
  • Brohoof 1

I like them, but can't say it was a good idea to introduce so many important characters so late in the show. They sometimes seem like a second mane 6(similar, but with some differences, I nean personality wise they remind me of the mane 6), but it feels unnecessary to have so many major characters that we supposed to love to be introduced at once when we have a ton of fan favorite side characters that fans want to see more often and learn more about them! That's why(I think) season 8 was poorly recieved.   

• Brohoof 1

On 5/10/2019 at 9:29 AM, TheTaZe said:

No, I don't like the Student Six. Call it as complaining but I personally don't feel the whole new cast of 6 characters to steal the show away from the actual Mane Six was the best decision. They are okay, but if I had a choice I would just have them removed like they never existed.

Do you feel similar about Starlight's role during season 6 and 7?

20 hours ago, lyrabetes3939 said:

Personally, I despise the Student 6. They take away too much of the spotlight from the Mane 7, and as far as characters go, they're just dull, annoying and pointless to me. I wish they and the School of Friendship never existed, honestly.

What do you think would be the possible best case scenario from now to end of season 9, if we just imagine it?

19 hours ago, Booker said:

I hate them. They all have either a barely tolerable personality or a really annoying personality.

What is your worst student 6 episode?

19 hours ago, Crystal Daze said:

I love them! Especially Silverstream! :wub:

Which one do you like more? Silverstream or Princess Skystar?

• Brohoof 1