Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Does anyone else remember Captain Planet?

Sazama Ichida

0QMrvEf.jpg

I for one thought this show was actually really good. This show was the reason why I stopped throwing garbage on the ground and started doing things to help the environment. I used to not even give a crap. Plus it even had the balls to tackle mature issues like drug use and AIDS. We need more shows like this for this generation.

I was never a fan to be honest. I don’t like shows that get too heavily into messages and causes. I didn’t like the animation style either. I don’t want to trash anyone’s favorite show here, I’m just not into it. :rarity: 

• Brohoof 1

On 8/30/2019 at 2:37 AM, Dreambiscuit said:

I was never a fan to be honest. I don’t like shows that get too heavily into messages and causes. I didn’t like the animation style either. I don’t want to trash anyone’s favorite show here, I’m just not into it. :rarity: 

So you're saying you don't like shows that try to teach a good moral lesson to children? I'm sorry that you feel that way. I for one think it's a huge improvement over what we have now. Most cartoons these days seem to just be there to rot people's brains and turn kids into idiots. They have nothing to offer but stupidity, randomness, and toilet humor. Examples: Uncle Grandpa, Clarence, Breadwinners, Pickle and Peanut, Sanjay and Craig, Fanboy & Chum Chum, and Teen Titans Go. These shows are all vastly inferior to what we had back during this show's time.

I actually saw a humorous comparsion between Captain Planet and Friendship is Magic

Applejack (An Earth Pony): EARTH!

Rainbow Dash (Performing a Sonic Rainboom): FIRE!

Fluttershy (Training to improve Wingpower): WIND!

Rarity (getting splashed): WATER!

Pinkie Pie (spreading cheer): HEART!

Mane 5: GO PLANET!

Twilight Sparkle (drawing strength from her friends): With your powers combined, I am CAPTAIN PLANET!

Edited by Will Guide

On 8/31/2019 at 9:26 PM, Asbel Lhant said:

So you're saying you don't like shows that try to teach a good moral lesson to children? I'm sorry that you feel that way. I for one think it's a huge improvement over what we have now. Most cartoons these days seem to just be there to rot people's brains and turn kids into idiots. They have nothing to offer but stupidity, randomness, and toilet humor. Examples: Uncle Grandpa, Clarence, Breadwinners, Pickle and Peanut, Sanjay and Craig, Fanboy & Chum Chum, and Teen Titans Go. These shows are all vastly inferior to what we had back during this show's time.

I’m NOT saying I object to shows with a moral lesson! I simply dislike script writing that has to spell out the moral of every episode as though the viewer is incapable of determining the point of the story on their own. Many shows I love, including MLP, have the same flaw and I don’t care for it. It’s great to have a good moral, but not so great to beat the viewer over the head with it. The modern cartoon shows you mention are indeed garbage and I agree completely that they have no value on any level (except maybe Teen Titans Go for its spontaneity). I’m not against Captain Planet or what it stands for, in fact I’m not against it at all; I just prefer a slightly more subtle approach.  

• Brohoof 2

On 9/5/2019 at 5:53 AM, Dreambiscuit said:

I’m NOT saying I object to shows with a moral lesson! I simply dislike script writing that has to spell out the moral of every episode as though the viewer is incapable of determining the point of the story on their own. Many shows I love, including MLP, have the same flaw and I don’t care for it. It’s great to have a good moral, but not so great to beat the viewer over the head with it. The modern cartoon shows you mention are indeed garbage and I agree completely that they have no value on any level (except maybe Teen Titans Go for its spontaneity). I’m not against Captain Planet or what it stands for, in fact I’m not against it at all; I just prefer a slightly more subtle approach.  

A lot of Captain Planet's episodes lack a lot of nuance and depth, and even the tongue-in-cheek environmentalist messages is sends out is quite surface-level. Recycling is often promoted as a solution but the waste hierarchy (reuse first, reduce second, recycle third) is never mentioned in the series. Nuclear power and GMOs are also poorly understood not just in Captain Planet but also in mainstream media. And other issues like how eating and transportation habits factor into carbon emissions are simply ignored.

Other animated movies like Wall-E and How to Train Your Dragon cover topics of environmentalism better – Wall-E talks about how human wastefulness can lead to environmental destruction, and How to Train Your Dragon uses a fantasy setting to indirectly discuss animal and environmental conservationism. And for anime, Princess Mononoke covers environmentalism fairly effectively. And then there's obviously Avatar

All in all, Captain Planet's just your stereotypical edutainment cartoon series from the 90s, so beyond the environmental message it wasn't a particularly great show. I enjoyed Arthur more, which educated kids in a more interesting and deeper manner. Even today the series hasn't lost its appeal – they even did a well-written and mature episode on autism. 

• Brohoof 1

Oh heck yeah, I loved it as a kid!

As an adult it's kind of a cringy lolfest, but I can still sign the theme song! XD

On 8/31/2019 at 9:42 PM, Will Guide said:

I actually saw a humorous comparsion between Captain Planet and Friendship is Magic

Applejack (An Earth Pony): EARTH!

Rainbow Dash (Performing a Sonic Rainboom): FIRE!

Fluttershy (Training to improve Wingpower): WIND!

Rarity (getting splashed): WATER!

Pinkie Pie (spreading cheer): HEART!

Mane 5: GO PLANET!

Twilight Sparkle (drawing strength from her friends): With your powers combined, I am CAPTAIN PLANET!

... I NEED FANART...