Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Do you like going to family gatherings? Why or why not?

Oblivion

I do usually because my Family is sort of a "Party family" if you will so we always drink together make each other uncomfortable and they always end up giving me a hard time about being a brony etc, good times!

Welp what about you all! :o

• Brohoof 3

Only with a part of my family. With my mother and her boyfriend or my father and his wife alongside my sister. Oh and my cousin and his part of the family!

Everyone else is just too old for my likes.

• Brohoof 3

It depends because there's the time sitting in traffic to consider and how much I'll actually participate. I'd rather not just sit around awkwardly all day. Also, I don't think family should do absolutely everything together. My first step father once took his wife her daughter, and myself with him to go deliver blood bags for a little side cash. That was at least a 6 hour drive where we did nothing but listen to the same CD over and over again, plus we didn't get back home till well after midnight, and by well after I could mean up to a 2 am but I can't remember.

I've lost connection with plenty of family as well due to divorces and drama, but I love going to summer barbeques, holiday celebrations, and birthdays when I get the chance.

• Brohoof 1

There's a lot of drama in my mom's side of the family, first it was one thing and then another and then the family just fell apart.  I don't really know anyone from my father's side of the family, I talk to them on facebook but don't have the money to go and meet them, they're more supportive of me than my mom's side is sadly.

• Brohoof 1

My family is rather distant. The only "close" relatives I have are my uncle and my half-brother. And well, the last gathering between us was a couple of weeks ago. A gathering that resulted in my brother and I being stuck sitting at a table listening to my uncle's Mary Sue tall tales about his life for seven hours without rest. Seven hours in which I could only manage to get about ten short sentences into the conversation. Thank goodness I managed to sneak away for the occasional toilet break to make sure my brain was still working.

Now if it was somebody elses family gathering, sure I'd go to that. :-P

• Brohoof 2

Seeing family can be a wonderful thing, connecting with people / friends that you haven't seen in ages!

...buuuuuuuut

It gets rather annoying / boring when everyone in said family is one of those "lets just sit down and talk for hours" people, and they get mad at you for getting up to actually go do something.

I enjoy seeing family every so often / once in a blue moon...but I aint about to sit down in one spot for hours talking, sorry x3

• Brohoof 1

Back in the day I did. Haven't been to one in 5 years. 

Present day? Depends on which side of the family. Dad's side? Yes. Mom's side? Eh, probably not. 50/50 chance that whomever you meet has had a trainwreck of a life.  Mom would be the first to admit that. 

• Brohoof 2

Not really, hahaha. My family is by no stretch awful people, but there isn't really a lot to say. Our Christmas gatherings were originally to meet up with my grandparents, but with them out of the picture, it's now for the younger members of my family. And seeing as one of the rules to our gatherings is no gifts once you reach 18, it's definitely for the kiddos now

Most of my family are kind of simple, honestly. There isn't much to talk about once you said what happened to yourself this year, then it becomes a waiting game after everyone is done talking about their lives.

• Brohoof 2

We have family gatherings every 3-4 months and I love them for the most part. I can't really participate in most discussions we have, given they are slightly obsessed with politics, but I do like my family and how we play off one another. I like some people more than others as well, but I still enjoy seeing everyone every once in a while~

• Brohoof 1

9 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Not really, hahaha. My family is by no stretch awful people, but there isn't really a lot to say. Our Christmas gatherings were originally to meet up with my grandparents, but with them out of the picture, it's now for the younger members of my family. And seeing as one of the rules to our gatherings is no gifts once you reach 18, it's definitely for the kiddos now

Most of my family are kind of simple, honestly. There isn't much to talk about once you said what happened to yourself this year, then it becomes a waiting game after everyone is done talking about their lives.

No gifts after 18 whaaaaa??? :(

Also haha I just enjoy going to them now because since I always drive myself these days I cant have but a couple beers, so by the end of the night people are acting like idiots so I just like watching from the sidelines as i'm completely sober and laughing my ass off as they are trying to fight stop signs on the street corners! :ButtercupLaugh:

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Blivy said:

No gifts after 18 whaaaaa??? :(

I think that's just a lot of families these days: when you get to be an adult, you get less fun things like games and what not, and more like...car supplies, shirts for interviews, etc.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, fare67t said:

I think that's just a lot of families these days: when you get to be an adult, you get less fun things like games and what not, and more like...car supplies, shirts for interviews, etc.

I mean, things I NEED are AWESOME gifts! I used to hate getting underwear and socks for Christmas now I love it!

• Brohoof 1

I really only go to two gatherings a year - One for Christmas and another for New Year's Day. I'm not the biggest fan of them, but I go because those are the only opportunities the whole fanily has to get together.

• Brohoof 1

40 minutes ago, Splashee said:

I kinda try to find excuses to not go. I used to be fun, but nowadays it is all boring talks.

Why drinking in moderation is okay as long as it's not a common occurrence! 

• Brohoof 1

I like family gatherings with close family but not so much with relatives so distant I've never even heard their names before. Family is fun and it's nice to have everyone together to mix it up and get a festive mood going. I always enjoy that, and having time to get caught up with everyone.

• Brohoof 2

Small family gatherings are fine. I’ve not been to the large yearly family reunion in....gosh I can’t even remember when the last time I actually went was. Certain individuals don’t accept me and I end up being the topic of some....unpleasant discussions. I stopped going and I’ve been much happier not going.