Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S01:E04 - Nightmare Roommate

CastletonSnob

• The title was changed to G05-TYT:S01:E04 - Nightmare Roommate (MLP: Tell Your Tale)

Probably my least favorite episode of the first four. One of the things that I liked about Izzy is how much more grounded she was compared to Pinkie. She had her ditzy moments, and in fairness, there is nothing TOO bad here either, but I still wish they could ease up on the whole "friend who is actually incredibly annoying or a mental burden" thing. I also think the moral of "you're amazing just the way you are" is a bit tired by now, even if it is a bit more nuanced. Still, this episode was fine, just definitely not to my tastes, which is a shame considering how much I liked Izzy in A New Generation.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

This is my least-favorite of the first four. Very repetitive vocabulary (especially for a five-minute mini-episode). Izzy sounds a lot more like Pinkie in comparison to the other three episodes. And the moral of being perfect as you are is extremely hollow. Another couple of minutes would've helped here. Hitch being the voice of reason and Izzy's twist are nice touches, though.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 3

5 hours ago, The Recherche said:

Probably my least favorite episode of the first four. One of the things that I liked about Izzy is how much more grounded she was compared to Pinkie. She had her ditzy moments, and in fairness, there is nothing TOO bad here either, but I still wish they could ease up on the whole "friend who is actually incredibly annoying or a mental burden" thing. I also think the moral of "you're amazing just the way you are" is a bit tired by now, even if it is a bit more nuanced. Still, this episode was fine, just definitely not to my tastes, which is a shame considering how much I liked Izzy in A New Generation.

38 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

This is my least-favorite of the first four. Very repetitive vocabulary (especially for a five-minute mini-episode). Izzy sounds a lot more like Pinkie in comparison to the other three episodes. And the moral of being perfect as you are is extremely hollow. Another couple of minutes would've helped here. Hitch being the voice of reason and Izzy's twist are nice touches, though.

I was SO EXCITED for this episode but Izzy ended up being very "Pinkie Pie-like" which is what I was hoping the writers would avoid in order to not be

copycats. 

• Brohoof 4

I agree with what everyone is saying about how Izzy is portrayed as being identical to Pinkie Pie. There's nothing wrong with paying homage to the previous generation, but it shouldn't come at the cost of being a carbon-copy thus depriving your work of any semblance of personality. Izzy being random is good but she can be so much more so as to stand out and not rely on a schtick which had been done for many years before.

• Brohoof 4

1 hour ago, Rising Dusk said:

An episode about Izzy having trouble fitting in... the pony that had a beloved song... about fitting in...

Maybe she should have been the voice of reason instead.

That was about faking being a unicorn. Sometimes people are good at faking being like everybody else but not connecting with other people.

• Brohoof 4

This one was actually not my least favorite, I found all of them to be equally good, mostly. I did not find Izzy annoying or too Pinkie Pie-like here. I found her obliviousness cute and of course, I enjoyed Hitch acting Applejack-like. :bedeyes:

• Brohoof 3

If you ever want to learn how to do animation, this episode is not going to teach you anything.

So, this was my first watch. I watched them in the wrong order because I thought this one was the first, so obviously, all the others was in the wrong order as well.
I am glad I watched this first, because my initial expectation was right there, with the odd angles, cheap animation, too short story telling, and VAs that sounds slightly off, especially Sunny not having that Disney High School sound to her, and Izzy not having that Horse voice.

Is it actually possible to have a good message and story in 5 minutes? How can you portray a bad roommate in 5 minutes, with a resolve? I say, this is impossible. This episodes proves me wrong :wacko:

Solutions to all problems "Be honest", and hope you don't hurt your friend too much :awwthanks::blue_baloon:

• Brohoof 3

So, some things I learned from this episode:

2840281.jpg

Sprout is on the run!

The Brighthouse isn't co-ed. only the girls stay there. When I wondered why they all weren't there, I remembered, Hitch probably has his own place already living in Maretime Bay. (with paid off mortgage!)

And speaking of Hitch, love him in this one.

• Brohoof 1

It'd be really interesting if Sprout were on the run in this, but surprising, given the ending:  he wasn't in a jail cell after destroying Sunny's house; he was walking on the street next to his mother, asking if he was a good deputy.  If he were going to get arrested, it would've happened by then.

• Brohoof 2

Although I wasn’t a fan of how Izzy was portrayed, it wasn’t horrible. She had some cute moments, and I like how her horn went awry in the beginning. The song was also pretty cute. I will say that this episode was good at providing context with just the visuals since I watched the early release and had no trouble understanding the plot despite not understanding the language.

• Brohoof 3

I as kind of annoyed at this episode where Izzy basically acted like Pinkie Pie. That's the problem I see with these five minute episodes is it's impossible for there to be significant character development, which makes them very shallow. In addition, I'm kind of annoyed that they never fixed the problem with Izzy sleep-telekinesis-ing. I would say that this is probably my least favorite episode so far.

• The title was changed to S01:E04 - Nightmare Roommate