Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think of Tell Your Tale?

CastletonSnob

Now that MLP: Tell Your Tale is out, what do you think of it?

It's better than I was expecting. It's not great, but it's cute and harmless enough, with some genuinely sweet moments, and it's not as manic as Pony Life.

• Brohoof 3

It's more or less what I expected; an acceptable distraction while we wait for Make Your Mark. The humor and visuals still don't vibe with me, but I think I have thoroughly expressed myself regarding those. If nothing else, even if the episodes are short, I do like having more to chew on in regards to the main cast. The Sisters Take Flight episode was definitely the best, thanks to the surprisingly good humor and Zipp/Pipp's characters. If Make Your Mark is the adventure series that they are saying it will be, I think this series could be a good way to get more slice-of-life antics with the Mane Five.

• Brohoof 6

(hastily cutting out what I said in the TYT Episode 1 thread and slapping it in here where it's more fitting) 

It's literally just okay and I could not be happier! No one was expecting a masterpiece from TYT, but many were assuming it would be Pony Life 2.0 (which I've never seen myself but have heard no good things of.) The animation is also not as bad as the trailer made it out to be so I can watch it without issues. Everyone's new VA is doing really well! (I'll always miss Kimiko Glenn just a little bit though.) The humor isn't my favorite, but it does crack a smile out of me. I'll definitely be keeping up with new episodes. 

• Brohoof 2

I’m still put off by the animation, but the actual content isn’t so bad. I don’t think I’m interested enough to stay up to date with it, though. 

• Brohoof 5

Character designs still suck, but the animation is snappy and expressive. The four episodes themselves are a mix of good and average. This is my order so far (good, average, bad):

1. Sisters Take Flight
  2. Zipp's Flight School
  3. A Home to Share
  4. Nightmare Roommate
  • Brohoof 1

This is pretty much what I expected it to be prior to release, albeit slight better than my expectations. To start with some positive, it is better than pony life from what is released so far. Unlike Pony Life, there is actually some resemblance of lessons and story in here, though fairly small. I also think there is some decent background pony potential in this series. To round out my positive points, I think there are actually a couple of interesting premises in these episodes.

That last one, however, highlights the big, glaring flaw with this series; that being its length. Five minutes does not feel like enough time to tell a cohesive or compelling story. While the were some interesting premises, such as Zipp teaching pegasi to fly or the sisters being given a formal farewell from Zephyr Heights, there isn't enough time to actually dive deep into them. These are concepts that could work great for a full 22 minute episode, but are instead rushed in just 5 minutes each. Plus, being full of nonstop jokes and gags with little time in between leaves these interesting concepts lacking proper development. I understand that this is just a fast paced series for children, but it is still unfortunate that FiM's well paced(for the most part) episodes be replaced with this. Granted, there's still MYM, but that series looks fairly short and might not even focus on these kinds of stories. For this reason, I still think that Hasbro should've just made one main series that focuses on both Slice of Life and Adventure stories rather than separate the two into the smaller series, especially since TYT is much less mature than FiM was.

Overall the series is a fast-paced series of shorts meant for young children and not really anything more. I guess it does its job, but the reason I got hooked on FiM was for being more than " just another kids show." Plus, the character designs in this art style are still bad, with a few exceptions here and there. If I have the time, I'll probably watch the episodes as the come out, but I doubt I'll be very invested in them. 

• Brohoof 3

I'm very neutral on it. The models are pretty lackluster and the movement looks really unnatural on them, but I think the animators do a good job with what they have. I just thought the episodes were boring :Thorax: though I'm not the target demographic, so that's ok!

• Brohoof 1

After having just finished watching the first four episodes, I can honestly say that I enjoyed it. I genuinely laughed at some of the jokes, sight gags, wordplay, etc., and while the character designs may not be what everyone was hoping for, they do work in this style. This is what I needed to see in order to be committed to the remainder of this series.

• Brohoof 2

I'm disappointed.  Better than Pony life, but still something that you'd expect to find playing at the daycare so the kiddos won't bug the adults.  I hope to find a little Lauren Faust magic at some point, I'll give it another bunch of episodes to prove itself.

• Brohoof 2

I'm liking it just fine. It's nice, fun and cute. It's somewhat less crazy and hyper than Pony Life, and if I'm being honest, one of the few criticisms I've had is that I wish it was a bit more(then again, apparently I'm one of the few sick freaks who actually enjoyed Pony Life), also I don't like the way their legs move

• Brohoof 3

2840660.gif

Four episodes in and there's already a plethora of cute moments to spur on the fandom and its creativity. For a YouTube short series, that's more than I was expecting.

I have grander expectations for Make Your Mark, but for what this is, it does it fine, and unlike Pony Life it doesn't exhaust me and lose my interest.

Also I'm excited my girls got a cute sister episode right in the first batch. :eager:

• Brohoof 3

I was surprised that 4 episodes were given to us today, as I thought that we would only get 2. Honestly, I forgot about this series until I saw the 4 episode threads here. I wasn’t excited for the series then and I’m not that much more excited about it now.

Overall impression: It’s decent for what it is. The voice acting is good, the humor is hit or miss, and the animation is simple. It’s definitely aimed toward the younger fans.

• I think the voice actors chosen for the series are doing great work. They seem to have taken on the personalities of the characters well.
  •  I found myself laughing out loud only to 2 of the jokes out of the 4 episodes. I have a feeling it won’t be making me laugh like that much more. 
  • The animation is similar to that of Pony Life. I don’t like it. Simple/cheap-looking animation doesn’t mix well with MLP in my eyes.

The series really doesn’t interest me and it’s not something I will be tuning into every week. I will just wait to binge watch the remaining episodes once they have all been uploaded to YouTube just so I can say I have seen it. I understand that this is just what we are being given to satisfy us until the main series is released. 

…But they did make Cloudpuff fucking adorable.

Spoiler

F104BE07-C869-42DB-9A8E-12A20EFAC936.jpeg

• Brohoof 3

Passable, ultimately indifferent, I'll give it the rating of 'Shrug'.  Some moments can cause a smile and a chuckle.  Something to pass the time with until the real series/specials come out.  Not the biggest fan of this type of animation, on anything really, and the sacrifice of charm for zanny makes me sigh a little.   Zanny can work, but at only 5 minute an episode, that's going to take a lot of work.

I do like the extra screen time Zephyrina and Pipp get, even though Hitch has been banished to the background at least for the first four episodes.  I'm happy with the new voice actors already, minus one... For some reason, I just can't stand Izzy's new voice.  I hope it's just because of a tone change for this specific Zanny Izzy in Tell Your Tale, but when I try and imagine Izzy's new voice on her 3D model in a more serious environment, I struggle.  Or I'm just bias because of how amazing Kimiko did and I'll just need to adapt, I'm prepared for the possibility too.

• Brohoof 2

The episodes I've seen so far vary a lot on quality, but I really like how they actually did a story about Pipp and Zipp's sendoff.  That'd be a moment of major emotional torque in-universe; even though it's implied that Zephyr Heights is, at most, just a few days' journey from Maretime Bay, them moving out would be huge.

I think the humor in Sisters Take Flight was well-timed, and it felt like the characters and story had time to develop---I also felt like A Home to Share had enough time to develop its plot and conflict, but even though Nightmare Roommate was approximately the same length, it felt like Nightmare Roommate was rushed and had no time for much of anything to develop.  I'm not sure why I feel that way, though---maybe it's because their attempted solution was so simple, and I felt like I was expecting something more slapstick or off-the-wall.

Zipp's Flight School was kind of middle-of-the-road, but also felt very reminiscent of G4's humor; pegasi plowing into things and the running gag of Hitch getting splattered with fruit felt kind of like Season 1's slapstick style.  Especially since the fruit delivery mare's coloration was Derpy-like.

Overall, I feel like it's okay---they've done better and could've had better heart-moments if they had 22-minute episodes, but I like this more than I like Pony Life, and I especially like that the episodes make sense given the world we were introduced to in A New Generation.  It's making me wonder if Tell Your Tale is going to be considered canon as far as the rest of the G-5 franchise is concerned...I'm kind of hoping it is.

• Brohoof 2