Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Characters you liked but no longer like (or fell of interest with)

Props Valroa

Do any of you guys have an experience with this? I have to say that I do, myself. I really liked Maud when I found out about her and I found myself quite frankly obsessed with her. But then as time went on, I just seemed to lose all interest in her and I cannot really find myself into her as I once was. I still like her, don't get me wrong - but she is no longer close to my favorite she once was. 

• Brohoof 1

Yes, actually. With the Mane 6.

When I initially watched the show years ago I loved Pinkie and Dash. I was iffy towards Twilight, Rarity.

Now that I've come back to watch it, I've done a complete flip. I find Pinkie and Dash really obnoxious a lot of the time, and I prefer Twilight, Rarity, etc. way more. Must be an age thing, honestly.

• Brohoof 1

Applejack.

She was my definitive fav in season 1, but as the series moved one she always felt stuck or stagnant. Not a bad character, but she was definitely surpassed. I could probably add Vinyl and Octavia to that as well; still like, just not as much as I used to.

• Brohoof 3

I started out a big Fluttershy fan( as per the name ) But Pinkie and Dashie became my favorites. The same with Izzy and Zipp. I loved Izzy at the start and for sure she is still top tier. But Zipp is edging her out as best pony for G5

• Brohoof 1

my most favoritest pony ever used to be rainbow dash, but that was a few years ago now :D i still really like her ofc!!! but after i got super into ponies again, obviously my favs changed a bit and now i really like the characters who are the most like me. so now my favorites are proooobably trixie and pinkie  :>

• Brohoof 1

My original best pony was Fluttershy. I consider her to be among the cutest characters, but I do not have much in common with her. I was particularly interested in Tempest for a time when the movie was released. But Luna has remained as my best pony since Luna Eclipsed.

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, Luna the Great of all the Russias said:

My original best pony was Fluttershy. I consider her to be among the cutest characters, but I do not have much in common with her. I was particularly interested in Tempest for a time when the movie was released. But Luna has remained as my best pony since Luna Eclipsed.

For me Luna is best princess. Is it weird that best pony and best princess are two level but separate categories. 

• Brohoof 1

12 minutes ago, Jedishy said:

For me Luna is best princess. Is it weird that best pony and best princess are two level but separate categories. 

I think in terms of best characters overall. I suppose one could ask, for instance, who is my best Student 6, but I do not think much of my "favourite" among them since they do not rank high in my overall list of favourite characters.

• Brohoof 2

10 minutes ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

I guess my opinion on Celestia deteriorated a little bit after the final episode when she forced Twilight away from her friends. 

She didn't drag her away in chains. Nor did she forbid the mane 6 from living in Canterlot or Twilight from spending most days at her castle. They CHOSE to live where they were each needed and plan a regular meet up. No pony was forced to do anything. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Hmm... I am sure I liked someone more than I do now... but it's ... I still really like them so it's hard to say.

The three that popped in my mind is Fluttershy, Applejack, and Discord. They were much higher on my list at season 1 than season 9 but I still like them.

I can't really say much except i like other characters more now.

Edited by Kadeda
  • Brohoof 1

I absolutely adored Applejack in the beginning. But now it's Rarity and Fluttershy.

I just recently started watching the show on Netflix and I'm currently in season 2. Back when the show first started, I watched season 1 midway. After that, I got a lot of MLP:FiM content through the memes, art, and occasional forum shenanigans (does anyone else remember "mods are asleep, post ponies"?). The artists did their work in making every pony, especially the Mane 6, stand out. I found AJ's design and accent endearing.

But now that I'm actually watching the series, I find AJ a little stagnant in terms of character. Not every character needs to have an epic arc, especially in a show that's geared mostly towards a younger audience, and from what I've found out through wikis and the like, it seems that AJ already went through considerable growth before the series began. She's found her place in life and she couldn't be happier. :mlp_icwudt: She's the rock of the group. But as a viewer who's used to development in main characters, I feel it's a little lacking.

But with Rarity and Fluttershy, I find them more well-rounded. Rarity is dainty but not entirely delicate. I loved how she used her "prissy" nature as a strength against the diamond dogs. She puts on airs, such as using a Transatlantic-type accent (a mix of British and American accents which is very much affected; American actors in old black and white movies used it a lot) so she can appear upper-class. But when you see her parents, you know she's from the country. :ButtercupLaugh: (I love Hondo Flanks and Cookie Crumbles so much!)

As for Fluttershy, I've always had a soft spot for gentle characters who can stand their ground. But my favorite moment with her was in "The Grand Galloping Gala" when she was trying everything in her power to make the animals accept her. It's one thing to have a character be rejected, but it's another to have that character reject that rejection. Vehemently. "LOVE MEEE! :angry:"

Time will tell if I change my mind again, though.

• Brohoof 1

I still like them all, but when I watched FiM for the first time, my favorite pony was Fluttershy at first. Or at least I was expecting it. She had a specific appeal in episode 1 which was lost more and more afterwards. And I'm really just talking about her appeal, I like her character developement and everything! :) But after learning more about them all, Pinkie became my favorite and I always liked her throughout all seasons. :)

59 minutes ago, Jedishy said:

She didn't drag her away in chains. Nor did she forbid the mane 6 from living in Canterlot or Twilight from spending most days at her castle. They CHOSE to live where they were each needed and plan a regular meet up. No pony was forced to do anything. 

Celestia still decided it for Twilight, this is what she and Luna wanted and expected of her. Celestia literally pointed her hoof at her, they never stated it as a choice and they never asked her beforehand if she is even okay with that decision or what she even wants. Twilight always looked up to her and Celestia knows that she can easily manipulate her. (Twilight is not the only one she manipulates, this trait is deeply rooted in her character.) The last thing Twilight wants is to disappoint her and Celestia is well aware of this. And she definitely knows that Twilight wants to always be with her friends and that nothing is more important to her and that she is the happiest this way.

Yes, technically Twilight could have said no, she wasn't "forced". But never underestimate the mental pressure and manipulation tactics. How could Twilight ever say no to her? I see it as a mental chain, personally. Celestia did this only out of selfish reasons. If she would truly care about Twilight like she pretends to, she would have thought of another solution. Or at the very least asked her beforehand. :coco:

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Sven Seelenherz said:

Celestia still decided it for Twilight, this is what she and Luna wanted and expected of her. Celestia literally pointed her hoof at her, they never stated it as a choice and they never asked her beforehand if she is even okay with that decision or what she even wants. Twilight always looked up to her and Celestia knows that she can easily manipulate her. (Twilight is not the only one she manipulates, this trait is deeply rooted in her character.) The last thing Twilight wants is to disappoint her and Celestia is well aware of this. And she definitely knows that Twilight wants to always be with her friends and that nothing is more important to her and that she is the happiest this way.

Yes, technically Twilight could have said no, she wasn't "forced". But never underestimate the mental pressure and manipulation tactics. How could Twilight ever say no to her? I see it as a mental chain, personally. Celestia did this only out of selfish reasons. If she would truly care about Twilight like she pretends to, she would have thought of another solution. Or at the very least asked her beforehand.

And that is all on Twilight. Celestia was her beloved teacher and if Twilight could not see the writing on the wall she was a fool. I mean flat out it was obvious from season 4 on that she was being groomed for leadership. Twilight still had a choice a hard one but a choice. If she said no its not like she would have been forced to. So she decided to take the roll. She decided to rule from Canterlot. And her friends decided not to move with her. Any of that could of been different. There was no manipulation involved. She was given tasks and offered power and she said yes at every turn. She could have at any point said nope im done. Gonna be an civil servant in Ponyville and her choice would be accepted. But she chose to earn the crown. No pony that seeks power is to be trusted with it. The one you train to have the skills to handle it and then doesnt want it really is the most worthy of it. And that made Twilight the best choice. But it was still always a choice. She was not goaded or made to feel bad. It was always here is this thing on the table take it or dont. 

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Fluttershy: She yelled at her "friends" Rarity and Pinkie Pie, said that their passions (Their whole lives) were pointless and made them cry.

Pinkie Pie: She stopped being funny to me after Season 2. I love Pinkie Pride and Maud Pie from season 4 but I just stopped thinking she was funny. 

Discord: I liked Discord when he was a villain in Season 2 and I disliked every appearance he made when and after he was reformed. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234

Moments ago, Even Evil Has Standards said:

Sombra used to be my favorite villain, until The Beginning Of The End retconned him into a completely different character.

Yeah that completely ruined him for me. Discord also really pissed me off with him faking Grogar the whole time.

• Brohoof 3

Discord is another one, definitely. Used to be one of my favorite characters and I still want to like him again. But I can't like his characterization in the final season of MLP:FiM, Pony Life, or the Season 10 comics because it's just not good. 

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Kujamih said:

Izzy.... Oh how she has fallen from grace.. she was the perfect pinkie.... Now she's just a dust in the eye... 

I wanted to like Izzy but in TYT she just failed to remain interesting for me. G5 I am neutral on the characters themselves. 

• Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, -Solstice- said:

I wanted to like Izzy but in TYT she just failed to remain interesting for me. G5 I am neutral on the characters themselves. 

Ain't it sad? Right? My back ground music for Izzy no is " enemy"