Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general How much do you pay for rent?

Dreambiscuit

How much do you spend every month in rent for your place of residence? And for those who are buyers instead of renters, what’s your monthly payment? I’m curious because the rent I pay where I live is ridiculously high ($3650/mo for a 3 bedroom apartment) and I’d like to know how it varies from place to place. Please tell us what kind of area you live in (state, town, country) to reflect where those prices apply.

• Brohoof 1

Well... I live around the Toledo Ohio area and I've paid about 565 a month for a two bedroom as recent as a year ago. And then my most recent apartment was 535 for a one bedroom...

I feel the need to say that those prices are absurdly low even for Ohio. My friend in Cincinnati paid about 700 a month for a really mediocre one bedroom apartment. And I know Columbus is even worse than that because the city is expanding faster than housing can be built.

Toledo is cheap because... Well, it's Toledo. It's not as big as the three C cities and it doesn't really have a ton going for it in comparison.

• Brohoof 1

If I was not getting a sweet deal with split rent from a relative...I'd be paying at least $1400 for an apartment, which is considered a good deal where I live in Arizona. I'm not joking, Arizona's not "the cheap state" anymore at all. 

• Brohoof 2

I pay $1,651 AUD per month, which is $1,057 USD. It's going to go up next month and I can't afford that forever, so will have to look into a one bedroom apartment at some point next year. Granted, I live in one of the cheaper areas in Melbourne, so I'm grateful that it isn't as bad as it could be.

Just shy of $2000 USD/month for a 1 bed/1 bath unit near Seattle, WA, USA. Lots of nice amenities in my building and a great location though.

• Brohoof 3

My brother and I own the house we live in, so we don't actually pay rent and split all the household bills down the middle. Save for groceries. We just buy and cook our own food for ourselves. Only thing we really share is the bread. So after the split, I pay about £300 (approx $377) a month which includes my groceries budget for the month. Admittedly, my brother and I don't really use that much in the way of the utilities and with my groceries, the most I can eat in a day is one meal. Hence why the cost of living on my side of things is cheap.

But I do believe that landlords do rip people off big time for what they ask for each month.

• Brohoof 1

I live out in central tennessee and we pay about $2200/mo for a 4 bedroom 3 bath house. Do note that this is a ridiculously good deal here, especially considering the quality of the house. A very crappy run down 2bed 1bath house with literal holes in the floor a short walk away from me is $1700/mo.

For me in particular it works out to about $900/mo rent, because the Rent is split 5 ways currently and I pay for 2 shares of that (me and my partner's bedroom, and another bedroom I use as an office.)

Edited by coffeeandponies
  • Brohoof 1

I currently live in a home with my parents, but five years ago I lived in an apartment for a couple of years. The rent was VERY cheap. It was a smallish college town in Oklahoma, I paid something between $400 and $500 a month for a one bedroom (not studio) apartment. It was an older apartment complex, had some issues, but it was still nice.

I'm going to get a major reality check when I get an apartment in Connecticut... lol.

• Brohoof 1

I live in Milwaukee and I rent a room(with a separate bathroom and kitchen) for about $500. Which isn't too bad compared to what I was getting in California before utilities

• Brohoof 1

@Comp Also Seattle area.

My girlfriend pays most of the rent and the utilities that are included at our 2 bedroom apartment at around $2,200. I pay or add $230 to my tab every month to cover the rent hike from last year and the pet fee, and cover groceries and local fun stuff.

I'm working on building credit, and make minimum wage which is currently $15.74, while she has a salary.

If we travel, the person planning pays or one of us covers the hotel while the other covers for everything else. For example, my girlfriend is paying for our upcoming trip to Eastern Washington, while I'll be covering our trip to Oregon in a few months.

Edit: I'm nearly convinced that my bank is intentionally screwing with me so I don't have credit.

Spoiler

I pretty much only use the credit card for my autopays, and I had the credit card itself set up to be automatically paid off each month, but there's been an issue almost everytime, resulting in late fees even though the problem is on their end. :unamused:

Edited by SharpWit
  • Brohoof 1