Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So what do you think constitutes a pet and a citizen?

Discordian

Since they are all animals one way or another what do you think would constitute being a pet vs being a citizen of Equestria?

So far we've seen citizens that are:

Ponies

Bufallo

Cows

And in some cases Dragons

But everything else seems to be pets. But I wonder how Lauren Faust and her team come up with it? Is it totally random or do they have a system?

White Pony Master Race!

I would say pets are the ones that more or less are doing stuff on instinct. For example the cows see a snake and would mindlessly run over an entire town as opposed to Buffalo who do not seem to go on instinct.

I would say pets are the ones that more or less are doing stuff on instinct. For example the cows see a snake and would mindlessly run over an entire town as opposed to Buffalo who do not seem to go on instinct.

Ditto.

White Pony Master Race! I would say pets are the ones that more or less are doing stuff on instinct. For example the cows see a snake and would mindlessly run over an entire town as opposed to Buffalo who do not seem to go on instinct.

I agree with this.

Though most of the citizens in Equestria speak so that also helps to show that that is how they are citizens.

• Brohoof 1

I think citizens must have language, literature, and common skills we humans have and pets don't. DK on that, just a thought.

• Brohoof 1

Celestia picks and chooses races, species, and even down to groups within a species. Some are citizens, some aren't. It's her choice.

I don't think that's canonically correct as they have never shown Celestia choosing who is and isn't citizens :blink:

I don't think that's canonically correct as they have never shown Celestia choosing who is and isn't citizens :blink:

Nor have they shown her for an entire day what she does. Also: Are cows (who speak yet go on instinct) citizens or not? All the other ones seem to be agreed upon by all.

Nor have they shown her for an entire day what she does. Also: Are cows (who speak yet go on instinct) citizens or not? All the other ones seem to be agreed upon by all.

If Applejack is herding them up and locking them in a pen then I don't think they are considered citizens.

If Applejack is herding them up and locking them in a pen then I don't think they are considered citizens.

Did they get locked in a pen? Wasn't that the sheep in another episode?

Well, it depends on the cow, if they are from the Australian cow factory they are citizens.

but yeah interesting topic, maybe its like big animals only or something...

Oh yes my bad, though they were still herded up and they seem to be at the same level of society as the pigs anyway.

We'd really need more to go on before we degrade them down to pets.

There is only one episode with them (I believe) and in it, they stampede. But is that enough to call them uncivilized?

Someone died during Black Friday and nobody helped him, yet we are still considered "civilized."

We'd really need more to go on before we degrade them down to pets.

There is only one episode with them (I believe) and in it, they stampede. But is that enough to call them uncivilized?

Someone died during Black Friday and nobody helped him, yet we are still considered "civilized."

This World =/= Equestria

That episode is enough to tell that they go by instincts which should place them lower in society. Not necessarily pets (as cows aren't really pets) but definitely low.

This World =/= Equestria

That episode is enough to tell that they go by instincts which should place them lower in society. Not necessarily pets (as cows aren't really pets) but definitely low.

This world is not Equestria. Not by far. But we on this world are determining where they are put without any canon information.

You are using Earth's society placing form on a different world. This World =/= Equestria, like you said.

Just because someone goes by instinct does not make them lower in a world that we don't know how social classes work.

This world is not Equestria. Not by far. But we on this world are determining where they are put without any canon information.

You are using Earth's society placing form on a different world. This World =/= Equestria, like you said.

Just because someone goes by instinct does not make them lower in a world that we don't know how social classes work.

They've already gone into social classes and there is canon information to go by.

the hell does this have to do with anything?

They've already gone into social classes and there is canon information to go by.

Is that so? But how much? Like down to explain all of them?

the hell does this have to do with anything?

Uhmm... you're classing them by human means. I'm showing that human means are faulted. We go to war against each other and a bunch of other shit yet we still believe to be better than all other species just because we can talk. Talking =/= civilized or anything else. It means we can communicate, but so can every other species in their own way.

Is that so? But how much? Like down to explain all of them?

Sweet and Elite is a good example of class systems within the pony civilization, and the fact that cows are being herded by ponies shows some sort of superiority of ponies over cows.

Uhmm... you're classing them by human means. I'm showing that human means are faulted. We go to war against each other and a bunch of other shit yet we still believe to be better than all other species just because we can talk. Talking =/= civilized or anything else. It means we can communicate, but so can every other species in their own way.

...other species don't advance...Why? Because they go by instincts which prevent them from intentionally doing anything outside of their instincts. Cows are running around mindlessly in the fields...ponies are creating buildings and learning. There is a clear difference between the two species and it can rightfully be assumed that ponies are higher in the class system.

Sweet and Elite is a good example of class systems within the pony civilization, and the fact that cows are being herded by ponies shows some sort of superiority of ponies over cows.

Sweet and Elite shows very few classes. We do not delve into the lower classes. I'm sure that all those rich ponies would class regular ponies and cows in the same section: low class.

Come to think about it, what exactly was the discussion? We got off topic.

What constitutes a pet and a citizen is the discussion, not are cows citizens or not?

...other species don't advance...Why? Because they go by instincts which prevent them from intentionally doing anything outside of their instincts. Cows are running around mindlessly in the fields...ponies are creating buildings and learning. There is a clear difference between the two species and it can rightfully be assumed that ponies are higher in the class system.

Only from what we've seen so far. Maybe cows do build cities, just not near Ponyville. Maybe out somewhere else, they have a grand city that surpasses Canterlot.

Probably? Not even close.

Low chance but could still be true? Yea.

Anyway, I'm off to sleep. So I won't be replying again.

Only from what we've seen so far. Maybe cows do build cities, just not near Ponyville. Maybe out somewhere else, they have a grand city that surpasses Canterlot.

Probably? Not even close.

Low chance but could still be true? Yea.

That is entirely your theory...my statements were based off canonical information and this is based off what you decided to think up...how does this in anyway relate to what we have been discussing?

Sweet and Elite shows very few classes. We do not delve into the lower classes. I'm sure that all those rich ponies would class regular ponies and cows in the same section: low class.

Come to think about it, what exactly was the discussion? We got off topic.

What constitutes a pet and a citizen is the discussion, not are cows citizens or not?

Yes we are getting off topic because you keep replying to me with your theories as if you are trying to prove something...

Do cows count as citizens...well they are being herded up by ponies...definitely doesn't look like they are being treated like citizens. Are they pets? They definitely don't look like they are pets...unless you consider farm animals as pets.

That is entirely your theory...my statements were based off canonical information and this is based off what you decided to think up...how does this in anyway relate to what we have been discussing?

Canonical information does not mean that we have it all, just that we have some of it. And the way it relates: Pushing it to the extreme, something I do, often.

Yes we are getting off topic because you keep replying to me with your theories as if you are trying to prove something...

Do cows count as citizens...well they are being herded up by ponies...definitely doesn't look like they are being treated like citizens. Are they pets? They definitely don't look like they are pets...unless you consider farm animals as pets.

Actually, we got off topic because we started going into the classes other than pet and citizen. I'll leave it at this: In respects to the question, cows would be closer to be defined as pets than as citizens with the information we have received so far. This information is in no way complete and may or may not be added on to in the future, at which point we would be able to better refine where cows stand if we receive more information.

(This really will be my last post. I got up to check something else quickly and couldn't resist replying.)

I think people misunderstood the meaning of this topic. I'm not asking how we tell the difference. I'm asking how Faust and her team decide between what is a pet and what is a citizen before they write it into the show.

• 4 years later...

Well, Cows and Sheep do seem to be treated as people, just maybe not fully equal people.  Sort of like minorities were treated in the 1950s or 1960s.  It has been pointed out that Ponyville has pre WWl tech, maybe they have the social values to go with it.