Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Do you game for skill or just for fun?

SUPERFOX5

Game for skill or fun?  

155 users have voted

1. 1. Do you game for skill or just for fun?

• increasing skill
    • just for the fun of it

I play RPGs for the fun of exploring a fantasy world, though occasionally I enjoy trying to beat the system. Strategy and puzzle games I play for a challenge, but I still don't worry about being a champion or anything.

I know some people do play video games competitively, but if you're not in the competitive league it shouldn't matter. For a select few people who are good enough to earn money playing them skill matters, but for everyone else they don't do anything but pass the time and hone general skills like problem-solving or reading.

I usually play for fun, but a few games I play for increasing my skill. Touhou and Kaizo Mario World give me a feeling of accomplishment at the end, even though in Kaizo I do use save states. I am also willing to go out of my way for a challenge, such as the fight against the anti-guy in paper mario, but for the most part, I game to have fun.

I play for fun most of the time. But in competitive, teamwork based games like BF3, I'm going to game for skill. For games like MW2, GTA 4 and such, I'm mainly gonna mess around and have fun.

Meh, I'm not sure. To be completely honest, I'm not very happy when I lose a game of FIFA to a guy who plays cheaply, but I enjoy playing the game for the fun aspect.

We're talking about online/multiplayer gaming right?

I pretty much always play for fun. I mean, isn't that why video games were invented?

If I find that I'm particularly good at a game I'll try to improve a bit just to show off mah 1337 skillz. But I still won't forget to have fun along the way. Even when I'm losing I don't get angry because that would take the fun out of it and that, in turn, would take away the purpose of video games. Just my 2 bits.

I play for fun. I don't really see the point of playing a video game if I'm not enjoying myself while doing it. Sometimes I'll try to improve my skills but in the end it's all about having fun for me.

There's a reason it's called a game. Why else would I play games if not for fun? It pisses me off when people take a game too seriously--if that happens, I usually move on to something else. Unless I'm having fun pissing the people off, then I'll stick around and laugh as they inevitably rage and report.

Two points for humanity.

I used to a be a total try hard in Team Fortress 2, but now that I've spent 850 hours or so I kind of don't care any more. Most of the time I just play for fun, like in Dota 2, I like to get people together for matches rather than just pub alone. Most of the time I don't care if I win or lose, but I definitely like winning when I can. ;)

Skills.

I try to getting them always to the top on every game that's multiplayer that i play, in singleplayer games i start in Hard or in Normal, that gets your skills in that game over the top.

Edited by The Milkman

It depends on the game for me, really. I'll play games like Portal because I like puzzles, and creative games are really fun to play. On the other hand, I'll play something more competitive to improve at it. It's still fun, of course, but I'd have to say the focus is more on sharpening my skills and aiming for improvement. Then again, I guess you can't have one without the other.

That's a tricky question because good competition can be a lot of fun and you can only really compete if you have skill.

However, if one takes out the fun and obsesses over skill it kinda defeats the purpose of the game, which by definition is supposed to be fun!

I play mostly for the fun of it I guess you would say. I never really got the types that obsess over their skill. The "MLG PRO" types are the worst though. They turn the game into a second job and cannot have fun unless they have skill. I've been dragged into multiple Gamebattles clans by friends and I almost always had a bad time! I just don't care, I want to have fun!

There are a few exceptions. Bioshock 2 I care about it competitively when I play it (not that anyone else does). It was actually the only game I liked being on a Gamebattles team. And hell my team was the best at Bioshock 2. We would've been #1, but places 5 and above were a bunch of free win farming cheats! Also, I remember that was the first time I cared about the leaderboard. I was among the top 100 players on Xbox Live! And whenever I'd enter a game that had the #1 player in it, a surge of adrenaline went through me and it was GAME ON!

Another big exception is Pokemon. Pokemon really has no gameplay and its singleplayer experience is really dependent on that childhood imagination. But the competitive battling... that's a different beast! Its a competitive strategy game, no reflexes or aim really necessary just strategy and maybe a bit of luck. Its a fantastic feeling to make the perfect predictions and overcoming your opponents.

Oh.. and also Mario Party! You may think Mario Party is about fun, but no! Under that child friendly exterior lies a game of back stabbers, dirty star thieves, and broken friendships! Mario Party takes no prisoners!

• Brohoof 1

I game for fun, card games mainly, but i get skillful through playing for fun. To be honest i find that people who play just to get skillful end up not enjoying the game and progress slower and just get frustrated.

• Brohoof 1

I used to play competitively.... But I got sick of it..... I got sick of the pressure and I also ran short on time (because of school).... So now I just play casually for fun.... ;)

• Brohoof 1

I play to do both. Certain games I like to play competitively while others I really do focus on for the fun off it. SO yea it really depends on which game I am playing at the time ;)

• Brohoof 1

I play for both. I play video games for fun, but at the same time that doesn't mean I can't play to get better. I love playing video games with my friends, and I also like to rank up in certain games like Halo Reach and become a better player. It doesn't take away from the fun, in fact I think it adds to the fun for me.

Skill and kinda for fun, i can kick your ass in Top Gun, Halo, MW3, you name it. I finished all the Halo games in the series in one weekend on heroic difficulty with all the skulls activated. Tell me thats NOT skill (sarcasm, lol)

Edited by TheEpicBrony

I didn't vote because i play for both...

Allow me to elaborate: (sorry if this comes off as boasting)

I can play any game really well, gaming is what i do best, but there are some games that i just dominate in, such as FPSs, because i find FPSs so easy to play well i find it a little boring to play them most of the time therefore i only tend to play them if a friend asks me to or if a fancy a little ego boost :P

Whereas there are other games that i do play well, but not as well as FPSs and i find them more challenging, which makes it more fun for me to play them, these are games like RTSs and MOBAs.

Reading back through that it seems a little boasty, i'm not usually one to boast so i'm sorry :/

• Brohoof 1

I play for fun, but for me, 'fun' usually implies 'being really good at it'. I usually don't have fun when I'm not that good at something.

That's what I like about Combat Training in Black Ops, you can set it to 11 enemies vs you on easy and you can feel like Seananners or Woody's Gamertag.