Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Apple's Thermonuclear War

Apple has an intense desire to crush Android, and recently, after an ongoing legal battle, Apple crashed into the cores of Samsung, winning their lawsuit against Samsung for allegedly copying the iPhone. Now, Apple is seeking the banishment of sales (in the US) for numerous Samsung gadgets, including the very popular Galaxy S3.

What are your thoughts on this? Honestly, I have no doubt in my mind that Apple has the ability to wipe Android off the market. You really can't say Google didn't take cues from Apple with a straight face.

With every growing minute, I hate Apple even more. Apple used to be a good, honest, and competitive company. Now they just want to be the top contender in the smartphone market. And when you say banishment, is it the banning of sales or people aren't allowed to have them anymore?

• Brohoof 1

Such bullshit. Apple has no right to monopolize the industry. The onlt reason they want every other company out of the picture is because they know that other companies, such as Samsung and Motorola, have equal to or greater technology than their own.

Android forever!

Apple is turning to complete crap. All they are doing is terrorizing the industry in order to come out on top. Both Android and iPhone have their place. I know people who couldn't live without their iPhone, but others who couldn't live without their Nexus or Galaxy.

And what kind of patent is "rounded corners?" That's all a wheel is, my Emerson TV has rounded corners, Is Apple going to sue them next? If people are starting to steal your design, its time to come up with something new, not sue the industry.

Besides, seeing all the Samsung phones Apple wants to ban, only 2 of them have any resemblance to the iPhone, and even then, that's a stretch of the imagination.

I honestly don't care. Also, if you check your history, bill gates wanted to control the Internet and failed due to the government outlawing monopolies. So I HIGHLY doubt that Apple Inc. will be able to take over many of the other phone companies.

• Brohoof 1

They won one trial, but there will be appeals. Plus I've seen several articles where legal scholars were stating that they expected a significantly different verdict in appeals.

Part of the issue was that the foreperson of the jury in the recent trial was also a patent owner, and that this may have caused a conflict of interest during deliberations, as a victory for apple would be beneficial for him shall he ever be involved in litigation regarding his own patent.

• Brohoof 1

Right now I really can't stand Apple... If the Android comes off then all hell will break loose and Apple will loose more business. (But then in a twist gain more business because, they soon will be the only electronic company on the market.)

With every growing minute, I hate Apple even more. Apple used to be a good, honest, and competitive company. Now they just want to be the top contender in the smartphone market. And when you say banishment, is it the banning of sales or people aren't allowed to have them anymore?

Banning of Motorola selling them, which means they can't send out shipments of devices to wal-mart, best buy, etc. You could still own them and buy/sell them used.

The problem is, Apple is starting to realize that the once emergent market of tablets and smartphones is slowly starting to get competitive. They have already lost the music player market to competition and there are a lot of people not willing to lay down the prices Apple is asking of their consumers.

Now with the coming of many different tablets and smartphones, Apple is slowly losing their nearly monopolized business model. People can buy better products for a cheaper price. I understand the fear they must have for sinking back to the bottom. But Apple should face the fact that they can't strangle the market like this.

I will say, they won't succeed, Apple is trying to sue Samsung all over the world, and not every country is taking it in the same way as the suit in the US. Apple has already tried and has already been overruled.

What will follow may be rethinking the patent laws and much more. Because this is actually getting in the way of good business.

• Brohoof 3

(lets channel Twilight sparkle from Wedding 1) Apple is EVIL... It casts this spell and its customers get all swirly eyed. It treats its customers badly with all of the proprietary stuff.

The only thing worse than Apple is the current patent system.

Edited by silvadel

I honestly don't care. Also, if you check your history, bill gates wanted to control the Internet and failed due to the government outlawing monopolies. So I HIGHLY doubt that Apple Inc. will be able to take over many of the other phone companies.

I agree with your second point, but there's a big problem with the first. The problem is that because Apple won the case, they are basically being given the OK to do whatever they wish, all because they are one of the biggest, and most well known, companies in the tech industry. Who knows who they will go after, or why.

With all of Apple's patents, they are constantly going to keep challenging other companies in order to try and gain the upper hand. But, a lot of these patents aren't really unique, like the three in the amended complaint (Link above). The patents prevent other companies from expanding upon the original ideas, and offering the consumer better options.

If Apple were able to ban sales of all Android smartphones because of patents and other things, what options will we have? We'll be able to choose Apple, or nothing at all (Noting how hurt RIM is right now). If that becomes the case, it could also hurt the phone companies, whether it be that customers leave or they downgrade their plans, the phone companies would lose lots of money, and people could possibly lose their jobs.

TL;DR, winning the suit tells Apple they can troll all they want and they'll get their way. It'll hurt the competition, and probably even the phone companies.

EDIT: I don't think Apple will ever be able to take over the phone companies, but they could cause a lot of damage.

Edited by Kapi

What will follow may be rethinking the patent laws and much more. Because this is actually getting in the way of good business.

The patent system as a whole is in dire need of a great deal of reform - the system is broken, and is doing nothing beyond creating a market for patent trolls to extort large sums of money out of people that are actually involved in innovation and the like. They act more at this point as a tax on innovation than anything else, as numerous people have described it.

• Brohoof 3

Ha! As if Apple stands a chance. But it isn't a thermonuclear war. Start getting worried if major American defense contractors get grabby.

Posted Image

Lockheed-Martin, Boeing Aerospace, BAE Systems, Northop-Grumman, General Dynamics, Raytheon (the list goes on, and on, and on, and disconcertingly on...)

If one of them wanted a bigger piece of the pie, we would be imperilled.

The patent system as a whole is in dire need of a great deal of reform - the system is broken, and is doing nothing beyond creating a market for patent trolls to extort large sums of money out of people that are actually involved in innovation and the like. They act more at this point as a tax on innovation than anything else, as numerous people have described it.

I don't know very much about Patents but I bet you're right.

Such reform would probably reformat Copyright, wouldn't it?

Edited by Blue

I still find it hard to believe that people higher up in government don't realize that when it comes to computers and such, patents ruin things. It's all built on the same principles.

But then, it seems many people's understanding of software and hardware equates to Doctor Who.

Posted Image

I think its preposterous. I have had extensive experience with both smartphones, and the Samsung Galaxy S3 is completely different.

Since Apple (And the US court) think that Samsungs phones infringe their patents, I think this is the best way to put it:

post-6674-0-35069800-1346685532_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 2

My boyfriend, our friend, and I were reading this topic, and my boyfriend brought up points that make this even more ridiculous than it already is. A lot of the stuff Apple puts on their products was not made original by them - other companies released those various features, first. And I don't see how you could sue a company over similarities, when you're both selling the same type of product. . . That's like McDonald's trying to sue Wendy's because they both sell chicken nuggets. DUH, there's going to be similarities, it's the same type of product! But that doesn't mean they're exactly the same. This is just absurd.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Let them try that.

If Apple keeps this up there shall be some ass kicking from me.

There's one thing that's epic though.

THEY CAN NEVER AND I SAY NEVER CRUSH MICROSOFT.

LOL, that always made me laugh . . . especially "Steve Jobs'" arguments. I'm an artist that would never touch a Mac. I'm forced to use them at school, but otherwise. . . LOL. I don't use iPods anymore, because they're SO FRAGILE, and usually die after a year anyway. I have a cheap $35 MP3 player from a local shop, and it's indestructable. The screen is practically cracked in half, it's been stepped on, sat on, and dropped multiple times, AND soaked in water - I didn't put it in dry rice to have it soak all the water up, and it still works. Perfectly.

I'm an artist that would never touch a Mac.LOL.

Weird. Most of my friends who are going to school for such swear by Mac.

I don't use iPods anymore, because they're SO FRAGILE, and usually die after a year anyway.

That's even more weird. I have a Gen 5 iPod that's still kicking. I got it when I was 18, so that's... seven years ago? I might just be lucky.

Weird. Most of my friends who are going to school for such swear by Mac.

That's even more weird. I have a Gen 5 iPod that's still kicking. I got it when I was 18, so that's... seven years ago? I might just be lucky.

(Edit: Looks like part of my post disappeared. I was just starting off saying I don't use a Mac for my stuff. Hunh.)

I don't use Photoshop, either. I have various programs (including GIMP) that I use when working on digital art, I hate Photoshop. But I do the majority of my art off the computer, anyway.

And you just may be lucky, because my whole family, the majority of my friends, and a bunch of people at school have had issues with iPods being super fragile or just dying after a year or two. Then again, you hear stories about people who buy Xbox 360s that die right away, or they get the RRoD, and they're fried. . . my previous Xbox (which I gave to my boyfriend) had the RRoD at least eleven times and was still useable. He went and got it refurbished because after the eleventh time I was finally having issues, but not it works with no-to-minimal problems. But I got a fancy GoW3 one now, so, that's why the old one is his.

Kind of off-topic, but supporting the fact that you may indeed be lucky.

Edited by Twi

Then again, you hear stories about people who buy Xbox 360s that die right away, or they get the RRoD...

Not to mention the people who buy eMachines and get a PC that lasts a year at best before it starts to blue screen.

But yeah, probably just luck on my part. Still, on topic, Apple is being a serious douche about the whole thing. I'm surprised that there isn't at least one anti-trust suit out against them yet.

I was never a fan of apple from the start. I dislike their operating system design as a whole and hate their proprietary and closed nature with a passion. I don't like the android phone much more, but at least it isn't locked down like pandora's box.

I can't really speak for the future, but I do know that this war can only result in a loss for smartphone users, whether it be a removal of features, crippling of design, loss of competition or loss of choice. Nothing good can come out of this.

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 2