Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why the Hype with Princess Luna?

Homura Akemi

I relate to her really well. I have trouble fitting in and can be really awkward at times when trying to get people to like me.

And also she's also just plain badass.

When people talk about ponies "not fitting" in, I always by default think of Fluttershy because she's a "mane" character, although Fluttershy fits in more than Luna.

TVTropes have the page for this! >> http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EnsembleDarkhorse

For me it's because her G1 Design, and her dialogues, however few, are quite adorable. And another reason is her having a hard time blending around her subjects (thanks to a certain millennia time-out), some people can relate that with themselves :*

Just because she doesn't have the best screen time, doesn't mean she can't have any fanbase. Saying she shouldn't be loved is like saying all other lesser characters (Daring Do or Big Mac) should be forgotten.

I'm a Luna fan and I simply like her because she's an intresting character to give thought on. I adore her medieval speech pattern and her character design (which is btw one of the best in the show!) but I just love EVERYTHING about her and who she is. Luna's a mysterious character you see, aside from the Mane 6, Celestia, and the other best liked ponies; Luna has her own way of giving that special spark to a Brony's heart.

Not only is she the Princess of the Night but she is also the main reason why the Mane 6 became friends in the first place, had it not been for Nightmare Moon's return and Celestia's persuading, Twilight would have never came to Ponyville and became friends with those whom she knows as friends now nor would have she reunited with her sister.

Besides, isn't she just ADAWABLE? :3

Because of her funny personality. Like when she pulled Pip out and said. "Thou backside is whole and ungobbled!" I lol'd

When she used the canterlot voice I lol'd when she shook Fluttershy I lol'd When she said the fun has been doubled I guess what?

LOL'D Shes great and way more relaxed than Celestia. Even if she isnt everyones favorite I havent seen one person who down right didnt like her. Shes freakin awesome

I feel like you.....except I don't get why Rainbow Dash has any fans. Anyway, I like Luna because she had a great episode, great dialogue, she's adorable, and awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like you.....except I don't get why Rainbow Dash has any fans. Anyway, I like Luna because she had a great episode, great dialogue, she's adorable, and awesome.

It's because her design is memorable. I mean, rainbows catch attention. A lot of attention. Some may relate to her. Some may just find her fun to watch. Depends on the person.

• Brohoof 1

I like Luna but damn if people don't go out their way to make Celestia look bad just to prop up Luna. Molestia, Trollestia, Tyrantlestia and the New Lunar Republic only seem to exist to make Celestia look evil in comparison to "better" half. There isn't a single negative portrayal of Luna outside of Nightmare Moon in the fanbase and even that is downplayed by making Celestia look like she overreacted or at worst a bully.

• Brohoof 5

I like Luna but damn if people don't go out their way to make Celestia look bad just to prop up Luna. Molestia, Trollestia, Tyrantlestia and the New Lunar Republic only seem to exist to make Celestia look evil in comparison to "better" half. There isn't a single negative portrayal of Luna outside of Nightmare Moon in the fanbase and even that is downplayed by making Celestia look like she overreacted or at worst a bully.

I want to give you one million brohoofs for that post. I absolutely detest Molestia. Dude, child molesting isn't a laughing matter. It's really serious.

• Brohoof 1

There are several things that, on a psychological basis, seem to heavily contribute to Luna's popularity (Other than odd fandom things).

First off, we have the aspect of sympathy, and the nature inclination to dissect her thought process during her lengthy exile/banishment. Id est, we take interest in judging the concepts of whether Luna went through the stereotypical Kübler-Ross Model (As most in her situation would), or if she continued to harbor resentment (as would be likely, due to the nature of the tranmogrification involved in the metaphyical transformation into Nightmare Moon), or possibly if she had the concept of good inside her and felt remorse but could not voluntarily control herself (In which her soul would have the same type of abnormality as is present in epilepsy), or the casting of her as a victim and where her sister is the real villian (A polarity of the continuum of representation pointing out there is believed to be validity in both sides, as long as both show fairly similar amounts of merits and flaws throughout, by an unbiased third party serving as a spectating judge), or the consideration of the fairly uninteresting path of apathy and desolation (which can be interesting from the aspect of forgotten nature, in which time is used as a weapon to erase the memory of a once prominent fact, something that can be confirmed by the fact that people referred to her as either Nightmare Moon or "the other sister", but never by the name Luna, during and before the time of the first episode of MLP, as only Celestia was old enough at that point to remember Luna by name). Indeed, much fascination is taken in Luna in regards to her unknown state during banishment, and the effects it had on her as well as the ramifications of the events leading up to the banishment and the banishment itself. The level of fascination is codependent on either the focus or relevancy of any of the aforementioned aspects of Luna's thoughts revolving around and about the terms of the exile, and relevancy for us as humans is high often in these categories.

Next, we take interest in the perplexing and foreign nature of Luna. Tied in with this is the familiarity and relatability of our own codependent related variable of our own perceived, absolute, or feared sense of past, current, or future ostracization from one or more groups (or a collective generality like society). Luna exhibits odd features, such as a sense of immediate regret and apolgetic revelation after her purification at the hands of the Elements of Harmony. These weakly imply an ironic development of Stockholm syndrome, where her captor was her sister (who was perfectly capable of releasing Luna at any time). Luna later exhibits odd gait, manner of conduct, and speech at the Nightmare Night festival, in which she uses many archaisms, such as antiquated pronouns (Most born of the confusion between the thorn, "Þ", and y, due to the conflict the letters had when y was introduced on the printing press) and elongated sentences lacking pronouns, as well as the adaptation of the infamous "Royal Canterlot Voice" (Many question why Celestia did not get her speaking normally. Do note that it is very hard to catch someone up on everything in the past 1000 years whilst also having to keep with responsibilities, all in a few months.). The pariah concept and archaic concept of Luna's state in societal conduct and caste are not reflective of either commoners or her actual title of royalty, making her a prominent figure due to being completely different from others.

Next, we explore a variation of the Forbidden Fruit concept. We desire most what we either cannot have (Due to physical or societal restrictions, the latter being a matter weighed on individual basis, leading to either inaction or actions with a plethora of undesirable ramifications due to either direct cause of the action or the Butterfly Effect) or can have but do not recieve (Which is more exasperating, as we cannot influence this situation as easily as the first, even if that does eliminate the chance of side effects, ones that would only be obtainable, but to a magnified degree, with considerably more drastic and planned action, which often is weighed very heavily). Luna is a case of the latter, where we wish to see her, but are given but a small morsel every time (Whilst Celestia is prominent in the series. However, this is due to colour theory, and is a decision that means that the normal atmosphere compliments Celestia's colour scheme on a psychological and aesthetic level, however subconscious and minute the fine details are, whilst a darker atmosphere, which must be carefully executed in regards to the audience of the target demographic, is required for Luna to be a suitable addition, a fact supported by the colour scheme maintaining only certain acceptance levels of contrast amongst primarily dark scenery when Luna is present, paired by with the fact that it is night for the entirety of each of Luna's appearances. This is difficult to maintain, as all characters must be adjusted in order for her to be a central character, or a character at all, during the on screen time of the episode she would appear for.), and as the large explaination in the parenthesis points out, we are lucky to get even that. The fascination this garners is heavily variable, and strictly dependent on the focus placed on the Forbidden Fruit concept and the level of participation in either the active use of (Id est, attaining of the desired in question), the contemplation of (Id est, consideration of action to attained the desired in question), and/or planning of the single or multiple consistent transfer(s) into the active Forbidden Fruit concept's core functioning state (Id est, attaining of the desired in question).

Several other factors such as design, mystere, and outlier concepts of the psychological spectrum pertaining to Luna also have significant impact, but not enough for each to merit an individual explaination (In my opinion, at least).

• Brohoof 1

There are several things that, on a psychological basis, seem to heavily contribute to Luna's popularity (Other than odd fandom things).

First off, we have the aspect of sympathy, and the nature inclination to dissect her thought process during her lengthy exile/banishment. Id est, we take interest in judging the concepts of whether Luna went through the stereotypical Kübler-Ross Model (As most in her situation would), or if she continued to harbor resentment (as would be likely, due to the nature of the tranmogrification involved in the metaphyical transformation into Nightmare Moon), or possibly if she had the concept of good inside her and felt remorse but could not voluntarily control herself (In which her soul would have the same type of abnormality as is present in epilepsy), or the casting of her as a victim and where her sister is the real villian (A polarity of the continuum of representation pointing out there is believed to be validity in both sides, as long as both show fairly similar amounts of merits and flaws throughout, by an unbiased third party serving as a spectating judge), or the consideration of the fairly uninteresting path of apathy and desolation (which can be interesting from the aspect of forgotten nature, in which time is used as a weapon to erase the memory of a once prominent fact, something that can be confirmed by the fact that people referred to her as either Nightmare Moon or "the other sister", but never by the name Luna, during and before the time of the first episode of MLP, as only Celestia was old enough at that point to remember Luna by name). Indeed, much fascination is taken in Luna in regards to her unknown state during banishment, and the effects it had on her as well as the ramifications of the events leading up to the banishment and the banishment itself. The level of fascination is codependent on either the focus or relevancy of any of the aforementioned aspects of Luna's thoughts revolving around and about the terms of the exile, and relevancy for us as humans is high often in these categories.

Next, we take interest in the perplexing and foreign nature of Luna. Tied in with this is the familiarity and relatability of our own codependent related variable of our own perceived, absolute, or feared sense of past, current, or future ostracization from one or more groups (or a collective generality like society). Luna exhibits odd features, such as a sense of immediate regret and apolgetic revelation after her purification at the hands of the Elements of Harmony. These weakly imply an ironic development of Stockholm syndrome, where her captor was her sister (who was perfectly capable of releasing Luna at any time). Luna later exhibits odd gait, manner of conduct, and speech at the Nightmare Night festival, in which she uses many archaisms, such as antiquated pronouns (Most born of the confusion between the thorn, "Þ", and y, due to the conflict the letters had when y was introduced on the printing press) and elongated sentences lacking pronouns, as well as the adaptation of the infamous "Royal Canterlot Voice" (Many question why Celestia did not get her speaking normally. Do note that it is very hard to catch someone up on everything in the past 1000 years whilst also having to keep with responsibilities, all in a few months.). The pariah concept and archaic concept of Luna's state in societal conduct and caste are not reflective of either commoners or her actual title of royalty, making her a prominent figure due to being completely different from others.

Next, we explore a variation of the Forbidden Fruit concept. We desire most what we either cannot have (Due to physical or societal restrictions, the latter being a matter weighed on individual basis, leading to either inaction or actions with a plethora of undesirable ramifications due to either direct cause of the action or the Butterfly Effect) or can have but do not recieve (Which is more exasperating, as we cannot influence this situation as easily as the first, even if that does eliminate the chance of side effects, ones that would only be obtainable, but to a magnified degree, with considerably more drastic and planned action, which often is weighed very heavily). Luna is a case of the latter, where we wish to see her, but are given but a small morsel every time (Whilst Celestia is prominent in the series. However, this is due to colour theory, and is a decision that means that the normal atmosphere compliments Celestia's colour scheme on a psychological and aesthetic level, however subconscious and minute the fine details are, whilst a darker atmosphere, which must be carefully executed in regards to the audience of the target demographic, is required for Luna to be a suitable addition, a fact supported by the colour scheme maintaining only certain acceptance levels of contrast amongst primarily dark scenery when Luna is present, paired by with the fact that it is night for the entirety of each of Luna's appearances. This is difficult to maintain, as all characters must be adjusted in order for her to be a central character, or a character at all, during the on screen time of the episode she would appear for.), and as the large explaination in the parenthesis points out, we are lucky to get even that. The fascination this garners is heavily variable, and strictly dependent on the focus placed on the Forbidden Fruit concept and the level of participation in either the active use of (Id est, attaining of the desired in question), the contemplation of (Id est, consideration of action to attained the desired in question), and/or planning of the single or multiple consistent transfer(s) into the active Forbidden Fruit concept's core functioning state (Id est, attaining of the desired in question).

Several other factors such as design, mystere, and outlier concepts of the psychological spectrum pertaining to Luna also have significant impact, but not enough for each to merit an individual explaination (In my opinion, at least).

Excellent description. Even though I like Luna a little better now, I never thought she was terrible in the first place, your description is very accurate.

• 5 months later...

Luna is definitely my favorite, personally it is because she is relatable for most of us.  Not as being outsiders, but for being misunderstood as an individual.  And being stigmatized because of that misunderstanding.  Just like we bronies are misunderstood and stigmatized ourselves.

Well considering that there is a fandom behind even background ponies, so yeah :P.

But seriously its just preference I guess, I suppose people like her because they feel like they can relate to her more then Celestia generally idk?

I just like her color scheme more then Celestia to be honest. But I love them both alot, to be honest I'm kinda surprised complaints that Celestia doesn't have an episode of some sort hasn't shown. Also Luna has alot of adorable moments and memes she started, where as Celestia well. Actually she has had her own share of memes to :P.

They're both pretty awesome in my opinion, i'm just in favor of Luna's color scheme a bit more, and I can relate to her a bit more I guess.

She has an attractive design, an interesting personality, people want to know more about her. The usual

Like the background characters though, I think fans become too attached to what their fanon establishes and sorta flips out at every appearance she makes

Holy crap, guys. I posted this thread in September. How in the world did this rise from nowhere all of the sudden. This topic is dead.

just go with it 

Edited by Megas75

Since Celestia has a huge fanbase, I say why not Luna too. The hype with Luna is very huge because, of when she was Nightmare Moon and after the Mane 6 were able to defeat her to turn her back to normal. I mean look at Luna, her design, mane, and how she is played out in the episodes and show in general. Basically, when you are very popular you receive hype to go along with it.

Princess_Luna_by_artist-wicklesmack.png

Edited by ~Chaotic Lightning~

I think thatin addition to some of the other ideas mentioned in this thread, people like the idea of redemption and second chances.  I think that a lot of other stories would ahve just had Luna just fit right back into society, But here, she's good again, but kind of awkward and doesn't really know how to fit in.  How does she win back the hearts of her subjects?  I think that makes her endearing, which I think is a big component of her appeal.

She had a demanding job in a position of tremendous power, and allowed it to warp her ideals.  She was then sent into isolation, which twisted her even further.  And yes, she's back now, but she's kind of...broken.  During her appearances in season 3 she goes hardly a frame without looking nervous, irritated or vaguely disapproving of whatever's going on.  I get the uneasy feeling that another power struggle is inevitable.  I'm not sure how many other people can relate to her for all of those reasons, but it's what stands out the most about her to me.

Also, Luna is best flavor of PonyCore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SyZkzdaNIg

Edited by NLR Information Minister

Yeah I think one of the reasons fans seem to like her so much is that she is mysterious. We do not know much about her. In fact she is kind of the outsider in terms of princesses.

Why? Probably because fans can connect with her.

She is socially awkward after being trapped in the moon for 1,000 years... Now, look at that sentence carefully. Yes, she is socially awkward. Now, what are most bronies? Socially awkward. So you can see the connection bronies are making.

Since bronies and Luna are both socially awkward, bronies can relate to Luna. That's why she has such a big fandom, in my opinion.

I think the main reasons why people like Luna are

*People like a good redemption story: Luna screwed up, but again who hasn't? Sure not very many of us have screwed up that bad but we have all done at least one thing we regret and that one thing for Luna was betraying her sister and becoming Nightmare Moon. I find the scene of Luna's redemption at the end the Nightmare Moon two parter to be one of the most touching of the entire series despite all that Luna has done Celestia still welcomes her back as a co ruler and sister.

*Luna is not your typical princess: Celestia as far as typical princess characters go is a great character but we haven't really seen much of her outside of her roll as a princess or as a mentor to Twilight and that is one thing I really hope we get to see in season 4. With Luna we see somepony who is extremely powerful yet vulnerable at the same time which makes her a very interesting character.

*Luna is very relatable: Since Luna has come back from her 1000 year banishment to the moon she has struggled to fit into modern society in large part because she is very misunderstood and is still hated and feared by many ponies. Many bronies themselves have struggled to fit in and as a group tend to be very misunderstood and are often judged harshly by society.

I admire that when Luna transformed into Night Mare Moon and decided to become a tyrant for eternal night for the whole land of Equestria, Celestia tried to reason with her sister, even when she refused. She had no choice but to punish her for what her selfish sibling deserved. The elder sister then took her own sister's job for 1,000 years. She trusted that Twilight would solve the mystery at the end of the 1,000 years, which is why the mane 6 became friends. Perhaps if it weren't for Luna's selfishness, the 6 would have never met at her stage of defeat. Heck, she wasn't even that hard to defeat. Night Mare Moon wasn't a fantastic villain, either.

Well you have to ask (and I'm curious to eventually find the answer) why Luna and Celestia had to come to blows in the first place. That story is from Celestia's POV while from Luna's pov she was banished by her sister for 1,000 years which is a rather cruel punsihment for insubordination.I'd love to see a flash back episode on this origin in s4. I'm sure there's good fanfiction already out there on the topic.

Was she bad villian as Nightmare Moon, yes.

A classic example is Boba Fett from Star Wars. If you were a kid in the early 90s as I was, you knew Fett was cool. Why? He's a faceless bounty hunter with laser guns. Bear in mind that Fett shows up for only a few scenes in Empire Strikes Back and subsequently gets knocked unceremoniously into the Sarlacc in Return of the Jedi. The expanded universe, increasingly fueled by older fans (i.e., the writers and artists who were once fans are now paid to make official work), expanded Fett's story to make him a 90s Anti-Hero. The bottom line is that Boba Fett is beloved despite not actually appearing much in the films. Love him or hate him, he has a large presence within the Star Wars fandom.

This is a great analogy and yeah you could say that Luna has a Boba Fett appeal to the show (dark and cool looking with brief appearances) or even a Dark Vader symbolism (how Anakin became Darth, Luna became Nightmare Moon, both were "reformed" in the end, returned to their original forms, and were central characters). Or with Jean Grey and the Phoenix saga for the X-Men as another parallel.

Musically if Not a Clever Pony hadn't done the Luna EP in the early days there might have developed this fascination with this character but it opens up lots of cool and dark music and loads of artwork to really keep this character as popular and as a counter to Celestia's outer goodness and benevolence.

Basically it's a Ying and Yang that Celestia represent to the show, light vs darkness that make the sisters an interesting pair and so appealing.

Case in point:

Edited by Freewave

I think night is cooler than day in most teenagers' minds. So she's got that going for her. xD

Also I think Luna is a little easier to relate to than Princess Celestia since we actually found out a few things about her in that one episode. But that's it, really. She's kind of like Derpy; not much real exposure on the show, but a huge reaction in fanon. Not that I'm complaining about that, considering who my favorite pony is.

Honestly, I just think she is all around adorable and awesome at the same time, especially during season 2 when she first showed up in Ponyville.

The way she made her entrance was just downright awesome with how her cape turned into a buch of bats that just flew away as she walked along.

Her voice is absolutely adorable, especially when she shouted "HUZZAH!" That made me giggle a little bit

And her look is just simply beautiful :wub:

The way her color-scheme resembles the night and how her mane shimmers with what looks like the night sky. :3

I don't understand the hype either. She looks cool, and that's about it. I never found her particularly interesting, and her episode was one of my least favorites yet. I see her as just a minor character that pops up for fan service. I mean, even Cadance gets more focus and more screen time, and overall just serves more of a purpose.

Don't get me wrong, I like her alright, but I just don't understand why she's so amazing that she can dominate every character in the series in popularity polls.

Edited by Sugar Cube
  • Brohoof 2