Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Tom The Diamond

Anyways, since I see discussion on opinions for the generations as well...

Posted Image

Really?

The list of generations goes like this for me:

Generation II > Generation IV > Generation I >>>>>>> Generation III

I haven't played Black/White so I have no opinion over Generation V.

Although that is probably accurate for me, it's more fitting of me just to say that Generation II is my favorite, while Generation III is my absolute least favorite.

Really?

The list of generations goes like this for me:

Generation II > Generation IV > Generation I >>>>>>> Generation III

I haven't played Black/White so I have no opinion over Generation V.

Although that is probably accurate for me, it's more fitting of me just to say that Generation II is my favorite, while Generation III is my absolute least favorite.

Yep.

I liked gen 2 until I realized literally the entire game as half-assed. No, really. Everything in it was like, half of whatever every other generation did.

Johto was half a region, Kanto was half a region, half the Pokemon were pre-evos/evos (exaggeration, sure, but after you get the

number of new Mons you have a bit over half the number from gens 1 and 5), it had half the difficulty of any other Pokemon game (and Pokemon games generally aren't difficult), half a plot, two halfway done types (hurr lets make dark and steel types but give them no Pokemon), and so on.

And then HGSS fixed half the problems of the originals. Unfortunately, that half was just natural progression and stuff that gens 3 and 4 already fixed, so all the major problems were still there.

I still have some nostalgic memories, sure, but jesus, after replaying the gen 2 games then playing their remakes, I wonder how I ever enjoyed them in the first place.

Gen 1 has problems too, I should add, but the nostalgic value plus the fact that the games still did a few things right (as evidenced by how gen 5 does those things) at least salvages it. I firmly believe Gamefreak made gen 3 the reboot generation just to fix all the issues from the first two gens, hence why the cutoff was there.

Posted Image

I think you're trying to fit the evidence to match your assumed conclusion. The evidence you provided was exaggerated for the most part. The plot was more involved than the first as it actually included a story to it. The RBY games had barely any story to it; you were just a kid traveling the continent battling for badges and fighting Team Rocket on your spare time.

The Pokemon aren't half evolutions/pre-evolutions. And actually, most of the generations build upon the previous ones in terms of evos so that's to be expected. The map wasn't half-assed either; Johto is a fairly well done map. And on top of that, the really only valid point you have is that it's easier. But that's when you're taking into account Game Freak only had one game before it and it was hard for kids to beat. I know I had trouble because I didn't fully understand the whole leveling thing. They probably made it easier so people wouldn't have to grind as much to beat it.

Ever since I got a Dratini and evolved it, my favorite has been Dragonair. I think it's something to do with how graceful it looks, and it has a neat design in my favorite colour.

Posted Image

• Brohoof 1

5 years ago? Damn it doesn't feel like that long at all! :o

I know exactly how you feel, I remember the day right when I got Pokemon Diamond and I played it all night!

Then my cousin had Pokemon Pearl and we went onto the Internet and looked up AR codes, so we could get Darkai and whoever.

I remember me screaming with excitement when I caught Darkai, my cousin was shocked. He was like - "no way man!" Then I said yeah, I caught him! Good times. I can't believe that was nearly five years ago! :(

Where did the time go?

Edited by nintendo3DS

I think you're trying to fit the evidence to match your assumed conclusion.

Except not really. Everything I said is in the game itself.

The evidence you provided was exaggerated for the most part. The plot was more involved than the first as it actually included a story to it. The RBY games had barely any story to it; you were just a kid traveling the continent battling for badges and fighting Team Rocket on your spare time.

Having more plot than a game that doesn't have one doesn't mean the former has some big plot to it. It just means it has more than nothing. Still half a plot. You're still a kid traveling the continent battling for badges while fighting Team Rocket on your spare time. The only difference is now you have a couple side events occurring with Lance, Jasmine, and... Elm's fetch quest Mystery Egg?

Speaking of Elm, holy crap he's like half a professor. I think every Pokemon professor has left their lab for actual research except him. The most valuable thing from him is the Master Ball.

The Pokemon aren't half evolutions/pre-evolutions. And actually, most of the generations build upon the previous ones in terms of evos so that's to be expected.

I said that was an exaggeration. However, look at it this way:

100 new Pokemon

Of them, there are these who are just evos/pre-evos:

Politoed, Espeon, Umbreon, Pichu, Magby, Smoochum, Elekid, Hitmontop (sorta), Tyrogue, Bellossom, Steelix, Scizor, Crobat, Celffa, Igglybuff, Porygon2, Slowking, Kingdra, Blissey, and maybe one other I might be forgetting. 19 Pokemon. 19% of the generation. Neraly a fifth of it wasn't all too new. Cutting the number down to 81, which, as I said before is a bit over half the number of Pokemon you get from gens 1 (75) and 5 (78). It really doesn't help that some Pokemon from gen 2 appear as unusued data in RBY.

The map wasn't half-assed either; Johto is a fairly well done map.

... Huh? Did we play the same Johto? Johto was horribly linear, with the only diverging path being at Ecruteak. Otherwise it's just a snake region. Let's not forget that the average route in gen 2 was probably the length of two Gameboy screens.

And there's still that gen 2 version of Kanto. I could say all the problems myself, but it's easier to look them up on Bulbapedia. Type in any route, and the majority of the time, you'll see them mention alterations made to the route in gen 2, mostly parts of the routes being cut out. You could argue that they did it to fit the region in with Johto, but there's so many holes in that argument that I'll only argue against it if you're willing to bring the point up.

And on top of that, the really only valid point you have is that it's easier. But that's when you're taking into account Game Freak only had one game before it and it was hard for kids to beat. I know I had trouble because I didn't fully understand the whole leveling thing. They probably made it easier so people wouldn't have to grind as much to beat it.

Gen 1 wasn't hard. In fact, gen 1 was incredibly easy to the point of being insulting.

Look at the champion battle. Blue uses Exeggutor if you didn't start out with Squirtle. What moves does Exeggutor have?

Stomp

Hypnosis

Barrage

-

Yeah. 3 moves, two normal type attacks on something that's a grass and psychic type. The only reason I say gen 2 is easier is because the Pokemon were generally underleveled in addition to having bad moves.

Posted Image

I'd be more inclined to agree with you if Pokemon itself was a very story-driven game. Have you seen what Game Freak has come up with when they try and make a deep story? It doesn't turn out well. As for the Pokemon themselves, Johto was more of an extension of Kanto as opposed to an entirely new region like Hoenn or Sinnoh was. It's perfectly expected that they would be expanding upon the older 151 Pokemon in this game. And yeah, it's fairly linear. Most Pokemon games are. Elm is half a professor? Have ANY of the professors been of any substantial use yet? I think not.

• Brohoof 1

Plot-wise, gen 3 is where mythology played an integral role to the plot. They expand on these concepts later on. Plot still isn't a major thing, though they're definitely working at it. 5th gen does a surprisingly nice job of it too.

Johto being an extension doesn't really help it much. It takes the value away of the region, plus Kanto still lost enough of itself to make one wonder why they didn't just go with a full Johto. I mean, most sequels aren't expansions on the original. They're new games.

Going through a straight path makes the region less interesting. Actually having to go through a path that was once traveled gives more value to areas you've already traversed. Not to mention it just seems weird to be going through a single path for what's supposed to be a region.

In terms of how interesting the professors are, Elm doesn't do anything. It's easy to say something nice about Oak, Birch, Rowan, or Juniper, but Elm is regarded as a joke.

Posted Image

It's a Pokemon game. In fact, it was designed to be a direct sequel to the first Pokemon game so it's perfectly acceptable to seem like a mix between a new game and an add-on because that's how sequels turn out sometimes.

Posted Image

It's a Pokemon game. In fact, it was designed to be a direct sequel to the first Pokemon game so it's perfectly acceptable to seem like a mix between a new game and an add-on because that's how sequels turn out sometimes.

The problem is that it's not acceptable for the quality to drop like it did. When gameplay is hindered for crappy story purposes, you're doing something wrong. That's the main reason why we've never seen another gen 2-style game. Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Unova are completely standalone because Gamefreak realized standalone works better than gimping+attaching.

Well, I just learned that the Pokedex 3D App has an update available. Unfortunately, it doesn't add more Pokemon, but meh. At lest its using the update function.

Wasnt too impressed by this. Having to collect pokemon on that as well as my games was tedious.

Restarted my White version to give me something to do until Battlefield 3. On the Ice gym now!

Restarted my White version to give me something to do until Battlefield 3. On the Ice gym now!

Man, that reminds me that I need to continue my White version. I'm doing a Nuzlocke run on it, but I haven't touched it in forever. I believe I'm in Nimbasa right now...

It would seem that the latest gens have added quite a few cool looking Pokemon. I haven't really played much past FireRed and never played Sapphire/Ruby/Emerald.

Scizor is and always will be my favorite for reasons I cannot properly identify. Perhaps cuz he's so damn cool.

When pokemon came out in 1996 (the year I was born) I have literaly been playing pokemon. When I was a few months old, I was playing pokemon. I grew up with it, and it is considered my favorite video game series of all time.