Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

When do you consider him/her a boyfriend/girlfriend?

Forlong

My brother said something odd today. He talked about picking up chicks together and I pointed out that I'm dating someone (SQUEE!). His response was that we were just "hanging out". Um...okay...

Anyway that got me thinking, when do people normally consider the relationship to be the "formal dating" stage and out of the "casual dating" stage? When does the person stop being "your date" and start being your "boy/girlfriend"?

Well my special somepony and I talked it over when we realized we had something between us, and that's when it became formal in our book. I think once you actually begin to see them that way, and they reciprocate that, then the relationship is more formal beyond just dating.

I think it's pretty obvious that they get in the stage of relationship or dating when they have their first kiss or they pretty much have sex, because friends don't kiss (don't make out actually, some friends do kiss haha) or have sex.

• Brohoof 1

Wait... There is a difference between a date and a girlfriend? Posted Image

In my opinion, you can say someone is your girlfriend/boyfriend when you both agreed that you two should spend more time together more and get to know each other better (?)

Maybe Posted Image

• Brohoof 3

i think its just when someone says they like u and ask u out, like my ex bf asked me "would u like to go out with me" and then we were bf/gf, and my new bf asked me "would u like to be my gf" and i said yes and sooooo now we're dating

I'd say when you two decide on it! It's your relationship and it should function how you guys want it to. Your brother is probably just surprised his sister is with someone, which is not an uncommon reaction for a sibling to have. XD

I'd say after you start dating exclusively and are obviously getting closer. 'Course, it's not a science, and I'm by no means an an expert on the subject,

I don't recall my girlfriend and I coming up with any sort of formal agreement. I just made a move and that was that. I've never really done the whole "dating" thing.

I guess that where the line is drawn as far as a relationship goes varies from person to person, culture to culture, etc.

Dating and being a couple are not the same thing. Couples like to go out on dates, but that doesn't mean that whenever 2 people are going out on a date, that they're a couple. You date people to get to know them this is true for strangers, friends, and significant others. If you date the same person for awhile and ask if you want to become a couple, and they say yes, then you're a couple.

If you do not ask them, and just assume that you're a couple just because you've gone on 7 dates, you might be wrong. The other person doesn't know what you're thinking, and you don't know what they're thinking. You might pick up some vibes that the other person doesn't even know exist, and vice versa. If you don't properly communicate with the other person, you might one day consider somebody to be your boyfriend/girlfriend without telling them, and then see them dating somebody else, because they had no idea how you felt about them. You gotta share how you're feeling, communication is vital to any relationship, not just the romantic ones.

So unless if you've confirmed it with the other person, you are not necessarily a couple.

That's just my $0.02 anyway...

^^ Pretty much that. I always get cutesy with it though. We'll be very much past the point where it's obvious we're a couple and we'll pause during a kiss or something and I'll go, "Does this make you my girlfriend?" That almost always gets you a cute smile and a nod (if they actually feel that way). You definitely need confirmation, cuz people are weird.

I'm not sure about you but I'd like to have some sort of consent before someone considers me their boyfriend.

Whatever you say boyfriend.

Anyway, I'll consider someone my boy/girlfriend after we've been dating a couple times and realize that we are that close. Of course, I'll wait until he/she agrees as well.

I think it's pretty obvious that they get in the stage of relationship or dating when they have their first kiss or they pretty much have sex, because friends don't kiss (don't make out actually, some friends do kiss haha) or have sex.

Posted Image

I beg to differ!

I might not do it, but there are people who have casual sex. Not something I'd want to do. I want it to be something special and all that mushy stuff.

I never knew there was a difference. So I guess in my opinion there is no real difference that is set in stone. If you want there to be, you could have an agreement with said person.

Posted Image

I beg to differ!

I might not do it, but there are people who have casual sex. Not something I'd want to do. I want it to be something special and all that mushy stuff.

didn't they ended up together at the end of the movie, and discovered that they loved each other all the time? if not, that movie has something wrong XD

didn't they ended up together at the end of the movie, and discovered that they loved each other all the time? if not, that movie has something wrong XD

Hey now, successful boogie buddies is totally possible. My friend and I are still very close even though he is now in a relationship with someone else. If anything, we discovered even more so that we weren't compatible on a more intimate level through it all, and that we were indeed, best as best friends.

Hey now, successful boogie buddies is totally possible. My friend and I are still very close even though he is now in a relationship with someone else. If anything, we discovered even more so that we weren't compatible on a more intimate level through it all, and that we were indeed, best as best friends.

what are you trying to tell me here? that you are the best friends in the entire world and universe? that's really cool, but that's not the point of view that I'm trying to stand up to.

what are you trying to tell me here? that you are the best friends in the entire world and universe? that's really cool, but that's not the point of view that I'm trying to stand up to.

That was meant more as a lighthearted comment, not any sort of accusation or forceful implication on my part. I was not trying to rustle your jimmies if that's what I did there.

• Brohoof 1

That was meant more as a lighthearted comment, not any sort of accusation or forceful implication on my part. I was not trying to rustle your jimmies if that's what I did there.

haha don't worry, you need a lot more, to ...ummm...do that to me. But I thought you were implying some kind of opinion against of what I said, haha I guess I missunderstood :P
  • Brohoof 1

• 6 years later...

I only consider a person my boyfriend if I know him well enough, and he knows me, and we both have open feelings for each other and have both agreed to be each other's bf/gf. I've been in a "friends with benefits" type of relationship before though, it was...interesting, to say the least. In fact I'm still friends with him, just minus the "benefits" part. :P

In my opinion, three things have to happen before I'll acknowledge someone as a person I actually love:

1.) The love is mutual. One sided relationships are never healthy.  

2.) I actually love them, their not just a "crush". There's an important distinction between someone you love and a crush. 

3.) We talk/hang out regularly. I'm not just going to go up to someone I just met and say "I love you". 

Well, I personally would require the following:

1. I and he both know we love each other. Like actually love each other.
  2. It feels like the relationship has been going on long enough. That can vary from as short as a week or two to as long as a few months.

Really it.