Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Some theories on why ponies aren't vegetarians.

Harmonic Revelations

Why the hell not? I mean, there's just about every other animal in Equestria. Has it been confirmed that Equestria is a Vegetarean society? If not, than I don't see why they shouldn't have pigs.

• 3 months later...
(edited)

Obviously, ponies are all vegetarians, so they would not use them for bacon, ham, etc. They have cows for milk, chickens for eggs, sheep for wool, and pigs for...what? They may be pets, but they seem more like regular farm animals, as they aren't treated the same as the other pets, as far as I know. What do you think?

Edited by Orangejack
  • Brohoof 1

Obviously, ponies are all vegetarians, so they would not use them for bacon, ham, etc. They have cows for milk, chickens for eggs and sheep for wool, and pigs for...what? They may be pets, but they seem more like regular farm animals, as they aren't treated the same as the other pets, as far as I know. What do you think?

Because even good shows make mistakes.

Maybe because of spare leftover food ponies don't want to go to waste? Idk. My best guess is the Apple Family has a dirty little secret.

Dramaticgroundhogstare.jpg 

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I guess it's tofu then on this sandwich here:

817531-B1OGUVM.png

But that's just another point of what doesn't make sense in the show and doesn't require to make some at all. At least in the context of the ponies behavior and the premise of the show.

Like this:

tumblr_mas6ueujq01qjhek6o1_500.jpg

Or that:

Edited by StatesTheOblivious
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well you see, Celestia made some bad deals with them races which eat the meats (Minotaurs, Gryphons, etc.) and now must provide over 50 tonnes worth of meats per month to keep the trading routes safe from marauding bandits (aka the ones she made the meaty deal with!)

celestiawtfplz.png?1

Ah but seriously though, they can easily be seen as the farms grand garbage disposal and rich source of poo!

'cause ya know, manure makes all the edible goodies taste even better than foods which weren't grown with poop. 

Edited by Accellerant
  • Brohoof 4

They kill them and eat them.

No.

They keep them because they can find truffles easily (while ponies can't), so pigs find them for ponies and ponies in exchange take care of them.

• Brohoof 3

They are there to play in mud and look cute and make little snortie noises, and eat all the left overs! and they are a necessary addition when it comes to ponies needing to land in embarrassing places.

:)

Mikestar

• Brohoof 1

The real answer?  Garbage disposal.  Pigs eat anything, and I mean ANYTHING, so keeping them around and feeding them refuse is a good method of waste management.  This is in fact how they used to be used in real life too.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Hello!

birdinthehoof.png

heavy-yes-o.gif Looks Delicious!

The sandwich makes me doubt the fact that all ponies are vegetarians... tongue.png

Well, perhaps pigs are just kept as animals, who finish off left over foods, or foods that don't have the quality to become fully produced products for ponies. huh.png

We must not forget, that there are creatures in Equestria that do eat meat. For example, you can even take Applejack's dog. For the reason, that there's very little interest in pig meat, there aren't any huge pig farms in the show. I do not believe that a lot of gruesome pig slaughtering takes place... blink.png

Edited by Concord

No pony posted this video?  I am very disappointed in all of you!

Pigs are good for more than tasting delicious.  They are extremely loyal pets, good for finding truffles, and are great for getting rid of garbage.  They'll eat just about anything; even another pig's tail.  I sware I did not make that up.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

The real answer?  Garbage disposal.  Pigs eat anything, and I mean ANYTHING, so keeping them around and feeding them refuse is a good method of waste management.  This is in fact how they used to be used in real life too.

... I'm confused, are they using it so that the pigs make waste for the ponies to eat? Or am I just physic enough to get that point?

I think pigs are used to help make food for the ponies.

Edited by soniccam1

... I'm confused, are they using it so that the pigs make waste for the ponies to eat? Or am I just physic enough to get that point?

I think pigs are used to help make food for the ponies.

No, I'm saying that the pigs eat garbage.  You want to get rid of the big pile of compost you have lying around?  Feed it to the pigs. 

Pigs being used as living garbage disposals was once common practice on farms in real life too, but it still happens today .  More info:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/an143

(edited)

Is some fan fiction they slaughter the pigs to feed Griffon and sapient omnivore guests visiting a Pony town.

In fanon Griffon were hunter gatherers like us Humans. Some still remain as such.

Edited by Rush

Whenever they grow big enough, the citizens of Equestria roll them up as balls and then play catchball, football and other ballsports with them.

In the Equestria Games they actually paste a piece of tap on them, so they keep in the round formation. But when it the tape gets to loose, the pig might shoot out of the ball, possibly killing it and it's potential victim :D

Finding truffles, methane power, fertilizer, pets, leftover disposal, meat for trade, leather for clothing and such. the list goes on man pigs are very useful.

WOW.

Déjà vu

We have another topic about the same thing, and that sandwich picture was posted there too. The replies in this thread is disturbingly similar to the ones in that one..

Anyways, LF has said herself that the animals are just taken care of by the ponies, there is no real reason why they are there, because ponies does not eat meat. The sandwich thing was just something the animators didn't think far enough when animating.

Pinkie Pie says in her "Gotta Share Gotta Care" song that pony diets are completely vegetarian.  Although in "Fall Weather Friends" Pinkie says that she likes hot dogs.  It makes me wonder what their hot dogs are made from.  Maybe soy or something.  

I think what makes the most sense about pigs is the idea that they eat the old garbage food, and produce fertilizer. 

I'm pretty sure they use the pigs to get rid of their garbage. I mean have you ever seen a dirty ponyville? Or maybe one day the pigs just appeared and the Apple family decided to take care of them?

• 4 weeks later...