Jobs and Unemployment

Pr3datorTaco

So I'm fifteen and in high school. I was wondering for those who do and don't have jobs what its like. Whats it like with out a job? whats it like with a job and if you do have one do you like it?

Edited by Pr3datorTaco

I'm 14. I don't have an interest in getting a job any time soon. You could argue that I'm lazy, but few people around here want to hire 14 year-olds. 

Having a job is like being in a prison you serve your time (work your shift) and then you go home, and especially if you are like me and work in retail the moment you walk in the door you go into bullshit mode if the boss wants to give half the store 3 days off and screw you over by not giving you enough help you have to pretend he gave you a hot fudge sundae and keep slaving away. If higher ups visit you have to pretend you don't want to punch them in the face, remember these people own you. And last but not least you have to watch your back for blabbermouths and ass kissers. And that along with a few other reasons I am not at liberty to discuss is why I am trying to become a writer so I can get out of that hellhole before it consumes me.

• Brohoof 3

I work at a cold newspaper factory and it sucks. Even the boss agrees. Like what EarthBP stated, quite a bit of jobs (but not all)  are like being paid for being at a prison. That is why I made it a goal to succeed at school so I am not stuck working at this dead end job for the rest of my life.

Edited by Retro_Derpy

When I graduate I plan on entering the armed forces so I can go to college for free(not trying to be a free loader i actuary want to serve my country) cause college is expensive. So when I retire out of the armed forces I can go into college and major in phycology to be a therapist and help people with their problems. Like my fellow soldiers who have PCD and other war related issues. But for now I just have to focus on school.

Having a job is like being given homeworks everyday except weekends, and you have to ginish them all in time, or else there will be no paycheck. Having a job can be fun and fulfilling. You can say it gives you a sense of purpose and accomplishment. Believe me when I say that you will feels great when you finished something in your job tongue.png

<if you're not, you doing it wrong>

Not having a job is, well, like everyday is weekend. It might sounds great at the beginning, but soon you will be extremely bored and tired

• Brohoof 3

I do odd jobs as a farmhand during the summer, and during the school year I will write/ghost-write to make a quick buck. My dream is to become an aeronautical engineer and work on the International Space Station. If that doesn't work, a politician. If that don't work, a high school teacher/university professor. If that doesn't pan out, novelist. And if THAT falls through, I'll become a bank robber.

It's a dynamite plan.

• Brohoof 1

Having a job is like being given homeworks everyday except weekends, and you have to ginish them all in time, or else there will be no paycheck. Having a job can be fun and fulfilling. You can say it gives you a sense of purpose and accomplishment. Believe me when I say that you will feels great when you finished something in your job tongue.png

<if you're not, you doing it wrong>

Not having a job is, well, like everyday is weekend. It might sounds great at the beginning, but soon you will be extremely bored and tired

I personally think there is a huge difference between a "job" and a career, I see a job as a means to an end a hopefully temporary prison you have to serve in until you find your true calling which is your career. I was never in love with my job but I remember back when I wasn't so unhappy, when I felt a sense of pride and accomplishment from a hard days work but now all I feel is fatigue and rage. I never intended my current job to be my career but I also never thought I would ever feel this way, I never thought I could ever hate someone so much.

I know that I was meant for bigger and better things and I am going to for the first time in far too long take responsibility and make them happen. For the last few years I have had to take care of my father that was very sick, he finally passed away last March and ever since then I have been thinking about what he would want me to do and I don't think he would want me to stay in a situation where I am so unhappy for the rest of my life. I am going to try to become a writer, I have wanted to do it for a long time and I think I have the potential to really be sucessful at it.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 2

Think of how it feels to go to school. Now think of school if you couldn't slack off at all. You have to do your homework, but you can't take your time with it - it needs to be done now, and you need to have done an awesome job on it, and have it done neatly. Have you ever had a teacher you just didn't get along with? A teacher that you absolutely hated, and they know it? That's going to be either your boss, customers you have to deal with, or both. And you have to keep smiling at them and take whatever crap they want to throw at you, because otherwise you'd get fired. And some days they make you stay later, and sometimes they call you to tell you to come in on Saturday or Sunday, and you cannot say no.

And just think - you had 12 years of school - you're going to have about 40 years of this.

I AGREE EXACTLY! It really sucks when you're looking for a job and nopony is hiring anywhere... It's nice to have the freetime, but it gets boring fast :/  Edited by Fluttersnake31

I personally think there is a huge difference between a "job" and a career, I see a job as a means to an end a hopefully temporary prison you have to serve in until you find your true calling which is your career. I was never in love with my job but I remember back when I wasn't so unhappy, when I felt a sense of pride and accomplishment from a hard days work but now all I feel is fatigue and rage. I never intended my current job to be my career but I also never thought I would ever feel this way, I never thought I could ever hate someone so much.

There is a difference? 3lnNF.png

I guess you're right. Sometimes we are forced to do things that we don't like, because our condition doesn't allow any privilege to choose. I hope you will find a better job soon.

I am 18 and i still have yet to get a "real" job... i have had some temporary stuff that wasn’t really for a company with the exception of recently when i was working on getting a small business systems back up after hurricane sandy. Hopefully i can get set up with the IT guy from that business. I am sure i have to get something eventually somewhere....

Having a job is like being in a prison you serve your time (work your shift) and then you go home, and especially if you are like me and work in retail the moment you walk in the door you go into bullshit mode if the boss wants to give half the store 3 days off and screw you over by not giving you enough help you have to pretend he gave you a hot fudge sundae and keep slaving away. If higher ups visit you have to pretend you don't want to punch them in the face, remember these people own you. And last but not least you have to watch your back for blabbermouths and ass kissers. And that along with a few other reasons I am not at liberty to discuss is why I am trying to become a writer so I can get out of that hellhole before it consumes me.

^ This is exactly what having a job is like a good portion of the time. Especially in retail or food service.

My best experience with work was when I was 16-17 and I ran my own "business" mowing lawns for all the numerous lazy people in my community. I made decent money, I worked relatively short hours, I liked my job, and I was my own boss, pretty much. However, this does no good for your resume, so I had to get a "real" job. Right now I'm not working for this semester, but I'm going to get an easy job at my university soon. I too hope to be a professional writer, and, regardless, I'm determined to be my own boss one day.

Choose a job you enjoy, and you'll never have to work a day in your life.

I want a job, honestly. Mostly for money, but when I do get a job, it will either be at an Apple Store, Starbucks, or Target (not Wal-Mart, eww). :P

My best experience with work was when I was 16-17 and I ran my own "business" mowing lawns for all the numerous lazy people in my community. I made decent money, I worked relatively short hours, I liked my job, and I was my own boss, pretty much. However, this does no good for your resume, so I had to get a "real" job. Right now I'm not working for this semester, but I'm going to get an easy job at my university soon. I too hope to be a professional writer, and, regardless, I'm determined to be my own boss one day.

Yeah that is a real shame that is the case, if I was an employer I would hire you. Someone who is hard working and enterprising enough to do something like that seems like an ideal employee, possibly management material. Being my own boss is one of the many reasons why I want to be a professional writer, if all goes according to plan I won't have to "work" because writing will be my full time job.

• Brohoof 1

Well I carry a gun in my work because its dangerous. I like my work because I love protecting people and helping folks. I've been jobless...it sucks to lose everything you own,,,,,,a job gives you a reason to get up..it also allows you to have things you like. I can buy a car to go places or buy pony gear. I can give my daughter a good education. I love having a job but it also can suck if you hate your job.

I prefer my job over school sometimes. I always excel in a work enviroment because I always take a lot of pride in my work, regardless of what the work is.

I really enjoy my current job for the most part, the part where I smell like a dog, express anal glands, listen to nonstop barking and occasionally come close to getting bitten I really don't like. But I do enjoy working with dogs and getting to build relationships with customers and that my job takes a level of skill and training most part time jobs for college students don't have. Also the awesome discounts on stuff for my own dog is pretty bad ass

I really do look foreword though to moving from a job to a career hopefully sometime soon. :S

I worked for an insurance company for 5+ years before getting the opportunity to stay home and raise my kids at home.  I love being a housewife and my work is now my kids and my home. 

Because I'm at home and have quite a bit of free time I'm working on making my own small online business.  I'm sewing and drawing and I'm hoping that it will be successful enough that once the kids start going to school I'll be able to be a free lance artist full time.

I'm actually just really lucky to have a husband that supports me staying home with the kids.  It's not always flowers and roses, but it sure beats that insurance job I had.  Granted, the money was good, but I missed watching my son grow up and they were definitely overworking and underpaying me.

• Brohoof 1

So I'm fifteen and in high school. I was wondering for those who do and don't have jobs what its like. Whats it like with out a job? whats it like with a job and if you do have one do you like it?

*inserting obligatory splat about the difference between a job and a career*

A job: something you spend time on, that helps you pay the bills.

A career: a job that you trained extensively in order to hold.  It defines you in one way or another.

Choose a job you enjoy, and you'll never have to work a day in your life.

If only.  Even a "fun" job (musician, pilot, athlete, etc.) can be horribly stressful and demanding, and require very long hours.

*inserting obligatory splat about the difference between a job and a career*

A job: something you spend time on, that helps you pay the bills.

A career: a job that you trained extensively in order to hold.  It defines you in one way or another.

If only.  Even a "fun" job (musician, pilot, athlete, etc.) can be horribly stressful and demanding, and require very long hours.

It doesn't mean you can't enjoy doing it. :P Those are all better than sitting in an office all day making sales (unless you enjoy sales :P).

I really enjoy my current job for the most part, the part where I smell like a dog, express anal glands, listen to nonstop barking and occasionally come close to getting bitten I really don't like. But I do enjoy working with dogs and getting to build relationships with customers and that my job takes a level of skill and training most part time jobs for college students don't have. Also the awesome discounts on stuff for my own dog is pretty bad ass

I really do look foreword though to moving from a job to a career hopefully sometime soon. :S

You are lucky, I have always loved animals especially dogs and wouldn't mind working with them. I have had many dogs over the years but I haven't had one for a couple of years and miss it.

Think of how it feels to go to school. Now think of school if you couldn't slack off at all. You have to do your homework, but you can't take your time with it - it needs to be done now, and you need to have done an awesome job on it, and have it done neatly. Have you ever had a teacher you just didn't get along with? A teacher that you absolutely hated, and they know it? That's going to be either your boss, customers you have to deal with, or both. And you have to keep smiling at them and take whatever crap they want to throw at you, because otherwise you'd get fired. And some days they make you stay later, and sometimes they call you to tell you to come in on Saturday or Sunday, and you cannot say no.

And just think - you had 12 years of school - you're going to have about 40 years of this.

This posts as a 15 year old makes me totally so excited and eager to grow up...

not  :P. I've always though of work as pretty much slavery or something. Ugh, I think I need to find the portal to Neverland somewhere...

• 7 years later...

Its actually horrible without a job when you are an adult and cant pay your bills! And contrary to popular belife unemployment is harder to get in most places than you'd think! 

• Brohoof 1

Job experiences are very different from person to person. If someone has a job they love, their opinions of work will be a drastic difference compared to one that hates theirs.

I personally love my job! I work as a barista and even though this definitely isn’t my forever career, I’m enjoying it for now (plus, it’s always nice to have money to spend). ^_^

• Brohoof 2