Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My friend thinks I'm a contradiction for being a brony

Le Kvlt Dawn

Well, let me start of by saying that my friend is a brony too and that his favorite pony is Pinkie Pie. OK so one day I was looking up Rarity memes at school, on the computer, during lunch with him. Then we started talking about music and he said "I think it's a contradiction that you're a brony and that you listen to death metal". In my mind I was like, "What the motherf*cking f*cker of all f*cking f*cks is he talking about?". Well let me just say that there are plenty of brony metalheads. Just go to Crispy's metal thread. (It's in media discussion.) But at the same time, I can't take someone who thinks Insane Clown Posse is better than both Death and Morbid Angel seriously (I let him use my iPod). And I never called HIM a contradiction for listening to juggalos rap about, whatever it is they rap about and watch MLP.  So how am I a contradiction? The fact that you get labeled as a weirdo for not being like everyone else is bullshit, but having to conform to the standards of a fandom? That's BEYOND BULLSHIT! I'm not saying he's a poser but quite frankly, he is being a bit of a jerk. 

I think I'm going to resolve this issue with him tomorrow. (Not in a fight.)

• Brohoof 7

that is a rather..... interesting point. I didn't know that you couldn't be a metalhead and like the show. anyways im sure everything will wrok out if you just tell him how you feel and don't make a huge idea about it.

I am not a metalhead myself, there are some heavy metal songs I do like though but it is not my favorite but the friend that introduced me to ponies is one. Almost all of my other interests wouldn't be considered unusual for a 27 year old man so it could just as easily be argued that me liking cartoon ponies is also a  contradiction. As to your friend I would say "so what if I am a contradiction, contradictions like me make life a lot more interesting."

• Brohoof 1

Pretty sure being a brony has nothing to do with your taste in music.. be it rap, rock, metal, ect. Being a brony simply means you enjoy MLP, it has nothing to do with music tastes.

I wouldn't get to worked up about it though, just ignore him hes being ignorant, i'm sure he'll come around :).

Sooo, here's a large grown male audience of  a show intended for 6 year old girls, and he thinks liking metal is a contradiction to it?

PFSSSSSSSHHHHHH~

• Brohoof 4

Hahahaha nice. Even though I agree that what your friend says is bullshit, even I giggle at the thought of bronies enjoying such music like death metal, despite being a metalhead myself. :lol:  To me, it's not contradictory, but ironic.

I'm a Christian and I like Death Metal.  People are complicated.  You can't assume because, based on preconceptions mind you, that because someone likes something, they must be against what they deam is the opposite.

Everyone is unique and that sort of black and white reasoning is what leads to assumptions like that.  You aren't a contradiction, you are individual who enjoys ponies and other things that don't seem as cute and cuddly.

(edited)

Hahahaha nice. Even though I agree that what your friend says is bullshit, even I giggle at the thought of bronies enjoying such music like death metal, despite being a metalhead myself. :lol:  To me, it's not contradictory, but ironic.

How exactly is it ironic? It's just me liking ponies and a certain type of music. I also like black metal which in some ways is the total opposite of Friendship is Magic.

And apparently, Varg likes ponies too. 

Varg__s_Real_Thought_Process_by_Veronike

Edited by Neighvana666

W-what? What you're friend says is kinda dumb. It's almost like saying, "I'm French, but I don't like French food, I like Italian food." Seriously, being a Brony doesn't define who you are, it's just something you like. You don't need to follow the "Brony steryotype." And I would say rap is worse than metal on the... whatever scale.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

W-what? What you're friend says is kinda dumb. It's almost like saying, "I'm French, but I don't like French food, I like Italian food." Seriously, being a Brony doesn't define who you are, it's just something you like. You don't need to follow the "Brony steryotype." 

Ahh... good metaphor you came up with there. I like it.

And I would say rap is worse than metal on the... whatever scale.

Well actually I kind of like N.W.A but not much else in terms of rap. Wait, are you saying both rap and metal are both bad? Because there are both good and bad artists in almost every genre of music, weather it's classical, jazz, country, yep you name it. 

Edited by Neighvana666

Ahh... good metaphor you came up with there. I like it.

Well actually I kind of like N.W.A but not much else in terms of rap. Wait, are you saying both rap and metal are both bad? Because there are both good and bad artists in almost every genre of music, weather it's classical, jazz, country, yep you name it. 

Thank you.

No, I'm not saying that they're bad, it's just the message is not the most kind one. And yes, I do agree with you, that there are, and will always be, good and bad artists. Unless it's emo rock.

(edited)

Thank you.

No, I'm not saying that they're bad, it's just the message is not the most kind one. And yes, I do agree with you, that there are, and will always be, good and bad artists. Unless it's emo rock.

Oh man you used the word "emo" didn't you? Well actually "emo" started as a subgenre of punk in the 80's with the bands like Fugazi. And let me tell you this, Fugazi is REALLY good. In fact "emo" back then stood for "emotive core". Now it's been bastardized by little, spoiled, upper-middle class brats.

Edited by Neighvana666
  • Brohoof 1

You're reacting in exactly the same way as he did. Instead of bringing each other's music taste into it, try a peaceful resolution.

Maybe someone does think that Clown Posse is better than both Death and Morbid Angel, and you just offended them by writing that.

• Brohoof 1

I'm in the same spot as you my friend. I have a friend who thinks im the opposite of the brony ways. He says im malicious and being a metalhead he thinks im a psychopath just because i listen to Cannibal Corpse. He asked me how can you love and tolerate when you want to bludgeon everyone around you. I had nothing to defend myself so i just started singing this day Aria really loudly. As for your dilemma i think your friend needs to check himself before he wrecks himself. This fandom is like the star trek fandom i bring that up because you can come from any walk of life and like MLP no matter what. I mean look at me, i hated mlp and only watched morbid things that went against mlps Morales and principles. when i got converted people thought it was totally out of character for me. 

The could the same be said that it is a contradiction to being a Metal Head if you watch My Little Pony? Honestly this just sounds like one of those friendly excuses for an argument, think nothing more of it.

To me, it's not contradictory, but ironic.

This is about how I see it. Though if your a brony you can like whatever you like as being a brony shouldn't control what music you watch.

Edited by Dusty Soul

Haha, a contradiction, he says.  

It seems like your friend (and this is just an observation) has a somewhat narrow view of metal and it's listeners.  Not all of us are your stereotypical long haired, gloom-filled hate machines that shun anything smiley and pastel colored.  The fact that this came from someone who is a brony, who is part of a community that is proud and thrives on shifting modern gender stereotypes, is a bit amusing to hear.

Now I'll just go back to head banging to some Blood Mortized, and brushing the mane of my Applejack toy  :wub:

Edited by Halfblood

Nah, you're not a hypocrite, and you're certainly not the only brony metalhead.  I'm a bit of a metal fan myself - mostly symphonic stuff, like Serenity or Nightwish.  But yeah.  He's an ass, and feel free to tell him that.  If anyone could be considered a hypocrite, it's him - metal often has excellent lyrics and a positive message, but ICP is pretty bunk.

You're reacting in exactly the same way as he did. Instead of bringing each other's music taste into it, try a peaceful resolution.

Maybe someone does think that Clown Posse is better than both Death and Morbid Angel, and you just offended them by writing that.

Well I tried reasoning with him today at lunch. Then he told me that he never said that (he's lying) and then called me "white trash" for listening to metal. Yes, he called me "white trash" for my taste in music even though he likes Eminem.