Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Alcohol discussion: pick your poison

Gummy

I usually don't drink beer too light for me. When i do drink beer though its PBR. I was told by a beer connoissuer that its the best beer to drink on a hot day. Sometimes I mix it together with fruity drinks. Tastes fantastic.

This man knows his beer! PBR is best beer, and practically the cheapest to boot! However, as to the OP's comment about waiting until the legal age, that takes all the fun out of it according to my over-21 friends. I don't personally like drinking to the point where I black out or throw up, but I see no harm in getting buzzed with friends every now and again on the weekend, despite being 18.

When i started drinking alcohol properly, i started on Wine (mainly because i attended church (betcha woulda never guessed i frequented church tongue.png) and we got the blood of Christ which i acquired a taste for and started drinking wine whenever possible)

That was also my first exposure to alcohol, my Mother and Grandmother were both catechism teachers so mass was a big deal for my family growing up so I got to drink the "blood of Christ" quite often. When I did first start "drinking" which I put in quotes because I was never a heavy drinker I at first mostly drank wine and didn't develop a taste for beer until a bit later. And so far have not really developed much of a taste for the hard alcohals with tequila being a major exception, but that is probably a good thing as I don't want to become an alcoholic.

I don't personally like drinking to the point where I black out or throw up, but I see no harm in getting buzzed with friends every now and again on the weekend, despite being 18.

To be honest I mostly said that to cover my ass just in case, I personally think that the drinking age should probably be lowered to 18. You can vote at 18, have sex and join the military but can't drink which dosen't make a lot of sense to me.

To be honest I mostly said that to cover my ass just in case, I personally think that the drinking age should probably be lowered to 18. You can vote at 18, have sex and join the military but can't drink which dosen't make a lot of sense to me.

Not to mention the fact that you can buy tobacco at 18, which is much more harmful than alcohol. I see no reason why most other things are at 18, but alcohol is 3 years later. Although the having sex bit might be a regional thing, where I live if both people are 16 or up the law won't care

Beer: Miller High Life

Liquor: Dewars/Chivas

Wine: Crane Lake Merlot

I drink to get drunk. I love my whiskey, I love my scotch. I like it warm and straight.

• Brohoof 1

Beer: Miller High Life

Liquor: Dewars/Chivas

Wine: Crane Lake Merlot

I drink to get drunk. I love my whiskey, I love my scotch. I like it warm and straight.

A scotch man I see?  GOOD ON YOU!

My mom makes me feel like a wuss. She keeps a nice collection of scotch, and I offer her some good bourbon and she just tells me it smells too sweet blush.png

I'm currently sipping on some Bulleit Rye.... nom  nom nomilicious.

I need to find some bronies to drink with around here.  Not that I don't like drinking with normal group of friends, but It's nice to meet new and awesome people in person, and then get drunk together laugh.png

• Brohoof 1

A scotch man I see?  GOOD ON YOU!

My mom makes me feel like a wuss. She keeps a nice collection of scotch, and I offer her some good bourbon and she just tells me it smells too sweet blush.png

I'm currently sipping on some Bulleit Rye.... nom  nom nomilicious.

I need to find some bronies to drink with around here.  Not that I don't like drinking with normal group of friends, but It's nice to meet new and awesome people in person, and then get drunk together laugh.png

Man too bad you aren't near my neck of the woods. We would be gettin 20% drunker homie.

Bourbon is a little too acidic. It uses sour mash and the pH follows through to the final product. That being said, I can drink an entire bottle of Jack Daniels in one night easily. Fun fact, it ihangover will be exponentially less severe if any.  A fine scotch has more of a smokey leathery bite and comes from peat rather than corns charcoal filtered so your average . I think a fine scotch is a superior drink. I am no snob though, I'll drink some unaged moonshine and enjoy it just as much as I would a 25 year scotch. It all comes down to whether or not the person who made it, used the most important ingredient... Passion. I drink cheap Canadian whisky all the time. Canadian whisky is the smoothest in the family. I recommend Windsor for a cheap Canadian. And a surprisingly good scotch, for a stupidly low price ($10/5th) is called Old Smuggler. I think it tastes better than Walker. Aged for 12 years and for the price, you can't beat it. Never drink from plastic bottles, and try everything once. There are some REAL gems out there. If I had to chose one, it would probably have to be Chivas Regal. It is a little less palatable, but it is my first love as far as scotches go.

• Brohoof 2

Beer: Coors Light

Liquor: Vodka. Any kind, it's all good.

Wine: Just no red wine please.

If I'm drinking, I will be severely disappointed if I wake up the next day and don't regret it. For this and other reasons, I only partake in such recklessness maybe once a month, if that.

• Brohoof 2

Favorite beer: Sam Adams (any kind)
Favorite liquor type: Rum or Whisky
Favorite liquor brand: Fireball Cinnamon Whisky
Favorite mixed drink: Tom Collins

I also just had half a bottle of yellow tail wine... Yay!

• Brohoof 2

Man too bad you aren't near my neck of the woods. We would be gettin 20% drunker homie.

Bourbon is a little too acidic. It uses sour mash and the pH follows through to the final product. That being said, I can drink an entire bottle of Jack Daniels in one night easily. Fun fact, it ihangover will be exponentially less severe if any.  A fine scotch has more of a smokey leathery bite and comes from peat rather than corns charcoal filtered so your average . I think a fine scotch is a superior drink. I am no snob though, I'll drink some unaged moonshine and enjoy it just as much as I would a 25 year scotch. It all comes down to whether or not the person who made it, used the most important ingredient... Passion. I drink cheap Canadian whisky all the time. Canadian whisky is the smoothest in the family. I recommend Windsor for a cheap Canadian. And a surprisingly good scotch, for a stupidly low price ($10/5th) is called Old Smuggler. I think it tastes better than Walker. Aged for 12 years and for the price, you can't beat it. Never drink from plastic bottles, and try everything once. There are some REAL gems out there. If I had to chose one, it would probably have to be Chivas Regal. It is a little less palatable, but it is my first love as far as scotches go.

"Never drink from plastic bottles".  That is the basis of my number one rule for trying new liquors.  Because while my liver might not fair well over the years, I still want to see.   

Good info all around though.  I'll have to branch out more and grab some Canadian whiskys

"Never drink from plastic bottles".  That is the basis of my number one rule for trying new liquors.  Because while my liver might not fair well over the years, I still want to see.   

Good info all around though.  I'll have to branch out more and grab some Canadian whiskys

Hey now, the liver is capable of regenerating itself, proof god intended us to drink. Smart man though, plastic bottles just give me a wicked headache every time. Crown is a Canadian. But honestly, pick up a bottle of Windsor, it's another $10/5th; but as a seasoned alcoholic (I drink 1/2 a 5th every night) I can tell you that it is the best $10 you will spend. If you can afford it, get the Crown though. It is just about perfect. Windsor though, it is amazingly good. You can easily drink it straight, no off flavors. Just sort of a cola after taste. First sip hits with a slight burn, but that good burn.. Hard to explain really. I have tried everything the liquor store sells, and that is the best experience for the dollar in Canadian whisky.

Hey now, the liver is capable of regenerating itself, proof god intended us to drink. Smart man though, plastic bottles just give me a wicked headache every time. Crown is a Canadian. But honestly, pick up a bottle of Windsor, it's another $10/5th; but as a seasoned alcoholic (I drink 1/2 a 5th every night) I can tell you that it is the best $10 you will spend. If you can afford it, get the Crown though. It is just about perfect. Windsor though, it is amazingly good. You can easily drink it straight, no off flavors. Just sort of a cola after taste. First sip hits with a slight burn, but that good burn.. Hard to explain really. I have tried everything the liquor store sells, and that is the best experience for the dollar in Canadian whisky.

The liver regenerates itself, but I don't want to push it.  Cheap liqour isn't cut as well and, the long and short of it is, leaves more "unwanted" junk in the final product.  And I'm not hurting for money anyway, so no reason to go too low. 

Now I'll definitely check it out next time I swing by the store.  Worst case scenario: I hate it, and use it as a mixer tongue.png

Where (roughly) are you at? Curious what's available there. I know where I'm at now, any given liquor store has exponentially better selection than where I'm from.  

The liver regenerates itself, but I don't want to push it.  Cheap liqour isn't cut as well and, the long and short of it is, leaves more "unwanted" junk in the final product.  And I'm not hurting for money anyway, so no reason to go too low. 

Now I'll definitely check it out next time I swing by the store.  Worst case scenario: I hate it, and use it as a mixer img-1316461-1-tongue.png

Where (roughly) are you at? Curious what's available there. I know where I'm at now, any given liquor store has exponentially better selection than where I'm from.  

Cheap liquor is just as good, the cut is more about the water. Cheaper liquor tends to use more sugar than raw ingredients though. They also distill larger amounts of mash at a time, which adds a lot more firsts and thirds to the batch. You want all seconds. Firsts are a little harsh, the part that runs off directly after the first ounce that is going to be acetone and methanol. The seconds are the good stuff! If you are running a 15 gallon pot, the seconds are a LOT easier to isolate but the yeild is a lot lower. Seconds are the best stuff and the most enjoyable to drink. The thirds still have alcohol, but it has some grain to it and will give a bit of a hangover. Not that I run liquor out of my home...  I am in Indiana, 30 minutes from Ohio, and hour from Michigan.

• Brohoof 1

Cheap liquor is just as good, the cut is more about the water. Cheaper liquor tends to use more sugar than raw ingredients though. They also distill larger amounts of mash at a time, which adds a lot more firsts and thirds to the batch. You want all seconds. Firsts are a little harsh, the part that runs off directly after the first ounce that is going to be acetone and methanol. The seconds are the good stuff! If you are running a 15 gallon pot, the seconds are a LOT easier to isolate but the yeild is a lot lower. Seconds are the best stuff and the most enjoyable to drink. The thirds still have alcohol, but it has some grain to it and will give a bit of a hangover. Not that I run liquor out of my home...  I am in Indiana, 30 minutes from Ohio, and hour from Michigan.

The problem with learning about the distilling process is that I'm usually already deep in booze by the time the interest to research it comes about laugh.png

You've inspired me to delve deeper into it. It's never been a subject of my particular expertise (which you've now demonstrated).

Beyond scotch, (and all whisky for that matter), what do you enjoy?

• Brohoof 1

I loooove wine.. Merlot, Zinfandel, Chardonnay, anything really. I like gin, as well as whiskey (Jameson :P), drank straight though. And I like real beer, like a decent stout or porter. Guiness is fantastic. 

• Brohoof 1

The problem with learning about the distilling process is that I'm usually already deep in booze by the time the interest to research it comes about laugh.png

You've inspired me to delve deeper into it. It's never been a subject of my particular expertise (which you've now demonstrated).

Beyond scotch, (and all whisky for that matter), what do you enjoy?

It's one of those things that is a lot simpler than it sounds, but comes in handy to know. I like my beer too, most other liquors bore me and I just don't like them straight. Tequila is pretty cool though, I know nothing about it but I enjoy a good Tequila. I brew my own beer. It is STUPID how simple it is. Pretty much, if you can make a box of macaroni and cheese, you can make beer. I like to make ales and add a bottle of honey. It's a really intense drunk, like really heady. Not sure what it is about that honey but woah! A couple pints and you will be telling your life story haha. Like I said though, I'm no snob. I drink plenty of Miller High Life. I am guilty of drinking Magnums, Mickeys, Steel Reserves, OE8, Colt 45's, PBR, Olde Style, even Bud if I am desperate. I just like alcohol really. The stuff that is well made, I truly appreciate and it's a treat to drink. But there is a lot of unsung heroes in the cheaper realm. Miller High LIfe is my go to. But man, I tell you what. Good ol' PBR, it's hard to find a better tasting beer out there. The micro brews are fun, if you are out with the guys just having a chat, but I think the snobs who leg hump them are just compensating for something....

I hardly ever drink, for two reasons:

- I'm under 21

- Too many empty calories

But since I am in college, and pretty much anypony can get alcohol, I have drank on occasion. Usually people share handles of vodka and whisky. The guy who brings beer usually brings Keystone Light...blegh. 

But that was a few months ago...

I don't drink much, but whenever I do, it's a Corona with lime.  Probably the smoothest tasting beer I've ever had (I hate bitter beer) and the twist of lime adds a little fruitiness that makes it perfect, IMO. 

Second favorite is probably a Sam Adams Boston Lager. 

I'm 17 but my parents believe that giving alcohol in moderation at a younger age is better on a child so they don't go out and get drunk off their ass when they are older and I quite believe it, 

I've never cared for beers and champagne taste like soap

i like david and mogen blackberry wine, pina colada's and margaritas but my favorite would have to be rum and coke.

and if they have taught me anything its that you should always buy quality liquor otherwise you will regret it later.

Edited by ravecrocker

I'll drink anything at this point, honestly. No established favorites for me, really, because drinking regularly only recently became a thing for me.

Jagermeister is absolutely delicious, though. Like, licorice-flavored liqueur - who would have known that would end up as one of humanity's greatest combinations in the history of combining things? Right up there with peanut butter and jelly, no mixing required.

For beer, I dunno man - whatever's in the fridge. Pilsner, Corona, Hoegaarden - s'all good. 

• Brohoof 1

Over here you can drink from age 16, so I order a beer in restaurants every now and then. It's nice and refreshing, especially during the summer! I like the beers Duvel and Hertog Jan. x3

I think I might have posted this elsewhere, but, meh, why not.

My favorite drink is actually one I invented. At least, I think I did. I've never seen anyone else do it, anyway. I call it a plum blossom. It's half umeshu (Japanese plum wine) and half C.C. Lemon, a lemony Japanese soft drink. If you don't have access to C.C. Lemon, you may be able to substitute it for another lemon-lime pop. I've never tried it, but worth a shot, I guess.

Other than that, the only thing I can really manage to choke down is Chu-Hi. This is short for "Shochu Highball." Typically, these are made to taste fruity. I can't drink alcohol if I can taste it. It's just gross. Needless to say, I don't do much drinking in America.

• Brohoof 1

I prefer cider to beer, but it's hard to find good ciders over here in the states. Seems like it's slowly regaining popularity recently, so that's a plus. Woodchuck's pumpkin cider, which appears in the fall each year, is very good and I recommend trying it if you happen across it.

As for beers, Brother Thelonious is good and very unique tasting (albeit pricy), Red Stripe is always good, and Rahs & Sons' seasonal beers (such as Iron Thistle) are nice as well.

I prefer cider to beer, but it's hard to find good ciders over here in the states. Seems like it's slowly regaining popularity recently, so that's a plus. Woodchuck's pumpkin cider, which appears in the fall each year, is very good and I recommend trying it if you happen across it.

As for beers, Brother Thelonious is good and very unique tasting (albeit pricy), Red Stripe is always good, and Rahs & Sons' seasonal beers (such as Iron Thistle) are nice as well.

I'm spoiled in Michigan as it's a major apple producing state.  A handful some of the bigger local cider mills have been getting into hard cider and it's fantastic.  And good call on the Brother Thelonious.  cool.png

A handful some of the bigger local cider mills have been getting into hard cider and it's fantastic.

Which ones do you like, and do you know if any of them distribute out of state? I'm always on the lookout for new ones, but it's hard to even come by reviews of good ciders to track down.