Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Alcohol discussion: pick your poison

Gummy

Beer, one of my favorite subjects. My favorites right now are Triton's Four Barrel Brown, Upland's Wheat Ale, and Bee Creek's Hoosier Honey Wheat. Sadly Bee Creek went belly up a bit ago and I drank up all that I had left and never got any more. sad.png

• Brohoof 1

I'm not much of a drinker. I'd like to have the use of my liver when I get older. I tried beer once. Never. Again. God, it's worse than straight liquor. Frankly, I think it tastes like vomit.

When it comes to beer, I buy whatever swill is listed as discount for the week. I'm not gonna pussyfoot around and lie to you guys about "enjoying the taste of a good lager." When I'm planning on drinking, I'm going all the way. If I'm not hungover the next day, I didn't do it right.

• Brohoof 1

I don't drink beer tooh blue moon is another one I like, light and sweet. anyone tried their new seasonal beer? Pretty damn good.

Reds I have grown found of too, hello Irish Killigans. Best red I have had is from a local brewery

Am I the only one that wishes beer wasn't alcoholic sometimes so you could drink more of it?

Edited by Sugarcube

Drinking beer is not about getting drunk - which I've pointed out to my younger brother multiple times (he's 18), its a refreshing drink and I drink it because i like the taste, only in certain circumstances do I drink to take the edge off, like when I have to go out to a party that I don't enjoy, I find drinking just enough to get tipsy makes me far more entertaining.

I'm 19, legal age for drinking in the UK is 18, I've been drinking beer since I was around 15 and I've only been drunk a handful of times (all within the past two years)

I know, but I drink a lot of liquid in general, much more than the average person. I get thirsty really easily, so I drink tons of water. I love milk, so I get a big bowl of cereal and a big glass of milk, and drink all of it from both vessels. I love Dr. Pepper, and more often than not have a 2 liter in my room. I drink a lot of SoBe. I drink sparkling juice whenever possible, to the point where my mom used to hide it so we can save it for special occasions. I like good drinks over pretty much anything else. You could offer me a huge bag of candy and a large plate of cookies, or a bottle of sparkling cranberry juice, and I'd take the juice every time.

So if I ever found an alcohol I loved, I'd drink a ton of it and get drunk more often than I'd like :P

• Brohoof 3

I know this is weird for me to post in this topic, but I just wanted to say that i don't like beer at all (well i don't like anything with alcohol in it) and just wanted to ask if when you started drinking, did you guys like any of it or is beer an acquired taste?

I know this is weird for me to post in this topic, but I just wanted to say that i don't like beer at all (well i don't like anything with alcohol in it) and just wanted to ask if when you started drinking, did you guys like any of it or is beer an acquired taste?

I liked beer from the get go, but my first beer was Guinness, I like earthy bitter taste, like strong bold brewed coffees, so dark stout beers and most beers I drink go along those flavors. It just was something I always enjoyed and I like to try new beers with my boyfriend when we go out, although we have slightly different tast prefrences

• Brohoof 3

When I'm not drinking my home made beer, I just kick back with some Miller High Life or a Rolling Rock. If I'm feeling a little hood rage I'll drink a a 40 of some OE8. I'm more of a scotch drinker myself though. Beer is pretty good, but it takes too long to catch a buzz off of.

• Brohoof 1

Beer is alright, though I'm very picky. Like Budweiser to me is nothing but alcoholic piss.  Though I prefer beer like Blue-moon, that stuff is pretty good. Though talking any alcoholic beverage, I prefer mine to be mixed with something, like mudslides or anything to the sort.

Oh god no. I hated beer the second I tried it when I was a lot younger. It just tasted like pure bitterness - a flavor I had only really been exposed to by earwax at that age - gross, I know. But yeah man, I couldn't stand it.

I would take sips from my Dad's beer all the time at the table, just to see if I would like it all of a sudden, and that never happened xD

But something else did. I got tired of soft drinks, especially at restaurants. I kept eyeing the drink menu - always chock-full of colorful, expensive, crazy-looking concoctions. So, I got curious.

Then it just kinda happened. My Dad offered me a glass of wine at dinner, and I went with it. It was okay, I guess. But from that point on, I was all in. It just kinda "clicked," and I love beer now - part of the appeal is the flavor pairs well with food in a lot of cases, unlike soft drinks which are just sugary to the max. It's changed the way I look at food now - just thinking about pairing Indian food with a Coke is like, bleh.

And then, of course, there's the actual alcohol content. It's a small amount, mind you, but the results are always

...You'll develop a taste for it soon enough - seems to happen to everyone ;)

The first alcoholic drink I ever tried was a can of Bulmers, when I was aged 17, a month or two before my 18th. Of course, because it wasn't entirely potent, it clicked with me alright. Later on, on my 18th I got a true dose of a large aspect of adult life. That was a pint of Guinness. IT WAS THE WORST BUCKING DRINK I EVER TASTED! Nowadays, I drink nothing but Heineken, strictly glasses. Pints are only for occasion and I'm too far gone to drink a half-pint. Anyways, no more Guinness, a lot more Heineken for me ^_^

I was thinking of starting a thread about mixed drinks. But then in a search I found this topic, so...

9ccf4639-2f57-4f14-88cd-f429c97adc42_zps

Seriously...try Purple Jesus. 1/3 vodka, 1/3 concord grape juice, 1/3 ginger ale. The vodka is New Amsterdam, one of the few good budget vodkas. (The rest are swill.) The grape juice is Welch's 100%; accept nothing less. As for the ginger ale, pretty much anything works. ^^

I remember the first drink anyone ever bought me at a bar. It was a Midori Sour. Girly drink? Maybe so, but screw the stereotypes. I watch ponies.

Anyone else enjoy a mixed drink from time to time?

I'm a craft beer brony, through and through...

Everything in my fridge below (except the PBR) is craft, and there's about 30 uniques in there.   I have brewer friends, and I'm very proud of Michigan beer.   

20130209_145648.jpg

There's gotta be other Craft beer lovers here, maybe I'll start a thread in search of them....

• Brohoof 2

My favourite beer without a doubt is Creemore Springs UrBock from the beautiful town of Creemore Ontario. Their lager, which is much easier to find than the UrBock, is my second favourite beer.

Sadly the liquor stores where I live now don't stock it. So I guess my favourite beer that I actually have access to is Rickards Red.

*COUGH* 

So every one seems so modest!

I'm kinda an alchy.  

20130209_145648.jpg

Craft beer, quality bourbon, and refreshing gin and tonic round out my normal consumption.

I'm an advocate for craft beer to the point of fanaticism some times, though I still keep some PBR around when I want something light (and cheap)

Also, as you might guess from the pic, I have a healthy disposable income. 

• Brohoof 1

My favorite beer is this magnificent bastard.
Bad Windsheimer Riechstadtbier.
Riechstadtbeir roughly translates to "imperial city beer"

img-1315692-1-4092085564.jpg
Handmade in the local brewery just down the road from where I live.
The brewery itslef is around 140 years old havent changed the recipe since the Döbler family started brewing.
Simply excellent. Nice head, unfiltered, always fresh. 
Its Delicious. 

And cheap too. I can get a rack for 14 euros return the bottles and case and get a good 10 euros back.

Edited by Yourmomsponies
  • Brohoof 3

I see myself as one that only drinks on a special occasion, like birthdays, parties and stuff like that. The only beer I really like is Fosters. Probably because my dad drinks it as well.

I didn't like beer at first because the first beers I tried were the cheap beers that aren't exactly the best quality so I sort of assumed that all beers tasted like that but that is not the case. It really depends on what you prefer some people prefer lighter beers some darker, some prefer lagers some ales. There is this one beer called Blue Moon that my Mom likes but I don't really like all that much, the quality of it is good but the combination of flavors just dosen't work for me in that one. And there are people who don't really like beer at all it sort of depends.

• Brohoof 1

*COUGH*

So every one seems so modest!

I'm kinda an alchy.

img-1315456-1-20130209_145648.jpg

Craft beer, quality bourbon, and refreshing gin and tonic round out my normal consumption.

I'm an advocate for craft beer to the point of fanaticism some times, though I still keep some PBR around when I want something light (and cheap)

Also, as you might guess from the pic, I have a healthy disposable income.

Please give me your fridge, just send it through a magical beer portal.

I couldn't drink.all that beer fast enough thoufh, not even if I was trying to drink to get drunk, beer is so filling

• Brohoof 1

Please give me your fridge, just send it through a magical beer portal.

I couldn't drink.all that beer fast enough thoufh, not even if I was trying to drink to get drunk, beer is so filling

I need to clear it out in a magical beer tasting party for my less-excited-about-beer friends. Gotta convert them, then maybe I'll recruit them into the herd laugh.png   

Also with how much stout I drink you'd think I'd be fat, but NOPE, I'm skinny as heck.

Oh, and the magical beer portal ceremony begins shortly. My acolytes are preparing. 

Ales are my preference. Porters and stouts, primarily. Don't have a favorite brand. They go well with stews and meals featuring red meat, both of which I also love. Negro Modello pairs well with Mexican food, as noted by EarthbendingProdigy, though I think Mexican meals more often call for a margarita than a beer. Oatmeal stouts might make a good float with vanilla ice cream. That'll be my next dessert escapade.

Hefeweizen is also good during the Spring and Summer. It doesn't set as heavily on your gut if you have a lot to do outside on a hot day.

As for frequency of beer drinking and alcohol consumption in general, I don't often partake. I drink beer simply because I like it, the same reason I drink so much coffee, and I know my limits. During our Friday movie nights I typically consume a single beer. Occasionally I'll have two. A six pack has a life expectancy of one month to five weeks in this house. Same goes for liquor, though I love the stuff. When going out to eat with people I'll sometimes have one if I think it's appropriate for the situation. When minors (or anyone under drinking age) are present at gatherings I don't have any. Seems rude to order some when they can't.

The first alcoholic drink I ever tried was a can of Bulmers, when I was aged 17, a month or two before my 18th. Of course, because it wasn't entirely potent, it clicked with me alright. Later on, on my 18th I got a true dose of a large aspect of adult life. That was a pint of Guinness. IT WAS THE WORST BUCKING DRINK I EVER TASTED! Nowadays, I drink nothing but Heineken, strictly glasses. Pints are only for occasion and I'm too far gone to drink a half-pint. Anyways, no more Guinness, a lot more Heineken for me happy.png

You and I are opposites then. Guinness (or any ale) is more my speed whereas Heineken would rank pretty low on a hierarchy of beers that I've sampled. Might as well be drinking water, imo. It has no bite.

• Brohoof 1

3r9del.jpg

Joking aside, I hardly ever drink. It usually happens two or three times a year. I usually get one six pack when I feel like it, and only a couple of times a year. The beer I usually get is the one I started with, Yuengling. I also like Leffe Blonde. I can't really remember what else I've had, but I know I prefer Ale's.

Of course, since I hardly drink, I haven't had much of a variety in my beer. I have been wanting some beer recently, for about the past month, but I just don't go ahead and get some. As much as I want some, it's always an afterthought whenever I'm at the store, even if I start looking at it to buy it.

• Brohoof 3

Replying to Artemis due to the screwy controls of my iPhone, live and let live then. To you, Guinness tastes great, to me it tastes like a potato ground in mud and then spat on to top it all off. No intention of forcing it on u over here. :)

When i started drinking alcohol properly, i started on Wine (mainly because i attended church (betcha woulda never guessed i frequented church :P) and we got the blood of Christ which i acquired a taste for and started drinking wine whenever possible) then i moved to Jack Daniels, which means that when i started drinking beer it was rather weak in comparison but i liked the taste considerably more instantly.

I think most people don't start drinking on the higher % drinks though like i did.