Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fluttershy only one without any relatives

poniesforfun

So far every of the six mane has had a relative make an appearance.

Twilight Sparkle: Her mom and dad while she was a filly.

Applejack: Granny Smith, Applebloom and a whole assortment of the apple family.

Rarity: Her parents and Sweetie Belle her younger sister.

Rainbow Dash: Her dad

Pinkie Pie: Her family during her story on how she got her cutie mark.

Fluttershy: Only one without any appearances or references.

I kind of like it this way. Maybe she could of been an orphan? Maybe this is why she feels the need to take care of many woodland animals because the ones without homes reminds her of herself. And heck maybe she was raised by woodland animals and given their company while growing up?

• Brohoof 4

I thought I was the only one who noticed this o: Everyone's complaining about Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo not having known family, even now although they're "sisters". But Fluttershy doesn't even get any family mentioned around her :(

I heard somewhere that Fluttershy's family was going to show up in season 4. this is a rumor however so its just here say. I hate that the family hasnt been mentioned at all in the series. It leaves room for sad songs about Fluttershy. I doubt that she was raised by woodland creatures since it seems she didnt know about them until the pegasus race. I wonder if her parents died the day before the Pegasus race.

• Brohoof 3

im confused, ive noticed this, but ive never seen rainbow dash's dad, could somepony show me the episode/source where her dad appeared?

img-1169972-1-vlcsnap-2013-02-09-16h17m48s236.png

img-1169972-2-Rainbow_Dash_with_a_relative_S03E12.png

Games Ponies Play Season 3 Episode 12. This was a flashback, the second image has Rainbow Dash standing on her dad's back. They both have rainbow manes and tails.

• Brohoof 3

im confused, ive noticed this, but ive never seen rainbow dash's dad, could somepony show me the episode/source where her dad appeared?

oops ninja'ed :x

Her dad appeared in the latest episode (S3E12) "Games Ponies Play" during a flashback RD had when she was a filly and Cloudsdale was in the running to host the Equestrian Games.

Rainbow_Dash_with_a_relative_S03E12.png

Edited by akita-ken

vlcsnap-2013-02-09-16h17m48s236.png

Games Ponies Play Season 3 Episode 12. This was a flashback, the second image has Rainbow Dash standing on her dad's back. They both have rainbow manes and tails.

oops ninja'ed :x

Her dad appeared in the latest episode (S3E12) "Games Ponies Play" during a flashback RD had when she was a filly and Cloudsdale was in the running to host the Equestrian Games.

oh wow, thank you very much, now im not confused anymore, but there goes my headcanon where rainbow dash is an orphan and stuff

I've noticed this before, but never really wanted to say anything. It would make sense as to why she's so shy, if she never had any brothers or sisters.

• Brohoof 4

She discovered the Earth due to the Pegasus race, never looked back.

Her parents are emotionally distraught still and have no answers to why she disappeared from Cloudsdale.

Edited by Jammo
  • Brohoof 1

She discovered the Earth due to the Pegasus race, never looked back.

Her parents are emotionally distraught still and have no answers to why she disappeared from Cloudsdale.

I really doubt that. Fluttershy is kind, why would she do that? If this did happen, it was probably because she was a weak flier, and buy the time she had acsess when RD moved to the cloud near Ponyville, they moved away or else were already dead.

Hm, well I guess its possible they've just never been brought up. I imagine that Fluttershy's probably an only child though, it just seems like should would be. However Idk if her parents are dead, I mean she had never seen the Animals when she fell to the ground in the first place, so I doubt she was raised by them. What would've raised her in Cloudsdale then?

Since Rainbow Dash got her dad shown that means that Pegasi aren't like orphaned at birth or something. So I'm just gonna have to guess they just haven't shown up. Idk why they wouldn't have worried about her after she fell to the ground and I wonder for that matter if she ever went back to cloudsdale after that.

This is why Fluttershy needs some more background story :P.

Edited by Zygen
  • Brohoof 1

There's also the question on how Fluttershy even makes a living. There doesn't seem to be anyone paying her to take care of animals. I'm guessing the animals helped her built the house and provides food for her? So many questions. :(

I've always thought she was an orphan, Due to her shyness towards others of course.

I've noticed this before, but never really wanted to say anything. It would make sense as to why she's so shy, if she never had any brothers or sisters.

This is a valid point also, she did seem very lonely in the Cutie mark Chronicles before she met the animals

• 6 months later...

So, I was thinking about this after I had a very strange dream about Applejack somehow getting a new little sister even though her parents died, and I was thinking about all the ponies and their families.

But think about it. We all see at least one family member of each pony throughout the show, except for Fluttershy's. Who are her parents? Does she have any siblings?

I know there are some fan-made speculations about Fluttershy's dad being an earth pony and all that, but what do YOU think?

Edited by True Rarity
  • Brohoof 1

There was no mention on Fluttershy's family but I am wondering if her parents are as shy as she is or more outgoing like Pinkie Pie? I hope the forth season will tell us all more. Since Fluttershy is yellow and pink then I am guessing that at least one of her parents were yellow or had pink hair? I just hope that she comes from a nice family with a lot of animal pets

• Brohoof 1

She is shy and lives alone with animals. But it seems to me that she wasn't forced into such a life due to the family problems, but rather she had chosen it because loneliness suits her. That way she could get away from other ponies who were unkind for her.

I think she probably has no siblings and her parents are alive but live far away from her.

img-1169972-1-vlcsnap-2013-02-09-16h17m4

img-1169972-2-Rainbow_Dash_with_a_relati

rainbows dads cutie mark is rainbowdash doing the rainboom i think

OT she is a changeling maybe, maybe she's related to scootaloo who knows

• Brohoof 1

From the way she acts and lives it is entirely possible that she was orphaned or neglected. Sadly, because of the target audience, such a thing would never become canon. Perhaps the lack of relatives was an oversight during the creation process, perhaps they wanted to give the fandom some writing material. As much as I like Fluttershy and want to learn more, I would rather it stay on the forums and off the show, simply because there are topics that will not or can not be discussed on a series targeted at children.

I would really like to see some of Fluttershy's relatives as that would expand on her background a lot. The other five ponies have had relatives appear in the show, and even though some of these appearances may have been as minuscule as a simple flashback, these appearances have all added to the individual characters and backgrounds of the Mane Six in different ways.

For instance, Twilight Sparkle had no friends growing up as a filly, but she had a very noble and loving brother to help guide her along the way. We've also seen just how supportive and proud Twilight's parents are, as they were happy to have their daughter enrolled into a magic school, and later we see them at Twilight's princess coronation, so we know that Twilight was raised by a very loving family.

Pinkie Pie grew up on a rock farm with her mother, father, and two sisters. Life was neither fun nor easy, so we know that Pinkie Pie has not always been brimming with joy and laughter. Pinkie Pie was able to create some joy of her own in the form of a party, and that had a positive influence on her family as well.

As seen in Sisterhooves Social , Rarity is something of an oddball. Being that Rarity is the classy and sophisticated pony that she is, you would almost want to assume that she's from a high-class family very much like Applejack's Auntie and Uncle Orange. This is not the case. We can clearly see that Rarity's parents are very simple-minded and carefree, and they do not appear to be anything like Rarity in neither personality or otherwise. It's possible that Rarity grew up being very misunderstood and out of place as a result. Rarity's relationship with Sweetie Belle adds a lot of dimension to her character as well.

We've seen so very little of Rainbow Dash's family, but even so, we can infer that Rainbow Dash was likely very close to her father. They both shared an interest in sports, namely the Equestria Games. Perhaps Rainbow got her tomboyish personality from spending so much time with her father.

And of course, Applejack is very family-oriented. She has a strong sisterly bond with Apple Bloom, and even acts as a parental figure. Applejack does the majority of the rigorous farm work with Big Macintosh, and Granny Smith provides some occasional wisdom. It has been confirmed that AJ's mother and father are deceased, so we know that Applejack had to grow up pretty quickly and take on an awful lot of responsibility.

Now what about Fluttershy? Surely she has some relatives somewhere. I would really like to see some family members because it would give us some added insight into her character and give us an idea of how that has shaped her into the pony she is today. I think her family could potentially be very interesting as well.

I don't think Fluttershy could be an orphan, because a.) we already have Applejack in that situation so it would be pretty uninspired if that applied to Fluttershy as well, and b.) that would be really depressing. Unlike Applejack, who is constantly surrounded by other loving family members and has coped with the loss of her parents, you cannot say the same for Fluttershy. Fluttershy does not live with any relatives, and she would have a much tougher time coping with the death of a family member than a stronger pony like Applejack. Plus, that's just too grimdark for me. :P

Pegasis culture doesn't appear to have close-knit families the way Earth Ponies do, and Unicorns to a lesser extent. Between Scotaloo, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash, their parents don't seem to be part of lives out side of the one instance of Rainbow Dash's Dad in a flashback. I remember reading a fanfic once that tied Pegasis culture in with Spartan culture, where children are raised by the state with only occasional interaction with their birth parents, providing their birth parents are of high enough status.

its not that fluttershy doesnt have a family its most likely that she can relate more with animals not to mention she might be from cloudsdale so her family might still be there its most likely like scootaloos case in which Scoot does have parents but they were just never shown in the show so far

just putting this out there:

popular theories among my friends is that fluttershys parents are both biologists(where her love of animals comes from) out exploring the world and studying the flora and fauna of equestria, this theory matches well with fluttershys personality that her parents were rarely home and becoz of such she didnt have the chance to develop socialy (it is well known that parents and siblings are the 1st bonds a child develops socialy) this however doesnt mean that she was always alone her parents might have visited from time to time and maybe she was homeschooled to a certain period (im assuming over protective and over bearing mother) and flight school was probably her 1st time out in the world so to speak